New Johnny Marr single: The Tracers

I'm getting 'this video is not available', so I guess someone jumped the gun on releasing it early.

I think one of the guys from Love And Rockets made a new song also. Might be wrong, but I think so.

The video has gone but the song is on Spotify. Sounds like The Queen Is Dead in parts.
Thanks for that, Bill. Sorry, Johnny, that's not doing it for me. It starts full of promise: the opening riff really swings, but by the time the vocal comes in it feels weighed down and it never really goes anywhere. The keyboard seems to be holding it back rather than adding anything, to my ears, as well. Lovely little coda, reminiscent of Some Girls, though. I do wonder if Johnny is someone who is better with a writing partner.

Last edited:
A solid 4.5 out of 10 from me. Not terrible by any means , just sluggish and uneventful ...

Wow, I especially love the verses where it sounds like Echo and the Bunnymen. The keyboards on this are terrific! The lyrics seem to be about death coming for us all and lends a meloncholy air. Kudos to the drummer! 8 of 10 for me.

A pretty good song, methinks, reminds me of Psychedelic Furs. Definitely more purposeful and better than anything on the woefully pedestrian The Messenger. Playland I never bothered with, so can't comment on that. 7,5/10 after one listen.

Sounds like a latter-day New Order song. Starts promising but, to be fair, it has the same ''that''ll do'' B part as some recent Morrissey songs.

In the absence of a real chorus...

I liked it. Voice sounds better and better. To my ears it was like if you mixed echo and the bunnymen with elements of suede

I think this shows some promise. Johnny's voice is something of a weak link though. He's not an awful singer by any means, but his vocals simply lack anything distinctive or memorable.

A pretty good song, methinks, reminds me of Psychedelic Furs. Definitely more purposeful and better than anything on the woefully pedestrian The Messenger. Playland I never bothered with, so can't comment on that. 7,5/10 after one listen.
It does have a Furs vibe to it, doesn't it? I think there are a few too many HOO HOO's for my taste and it's about a minute too long, but his voice is sounding smooth and confident. I'll pay to see the tour.

Back
Top Bottom