New Johnny Marr feature in German "Musikexpress"

Sven68

born-again atheist
The latest edition of German music magazine "Musikexpress" has an interesting Johnny Marr feature in which he talks about the records he listened to while making "Fever dreams PTS 1-4". This is the DeepL translation:

Morrissey says that Marr should stop talking about him in interviews. Marr's management tells us in advance that said M. should not play a role in the interviews. Why also? There are better topics, for example a series of records that accompanied the wonder-guitarist and pop connoisseur Johnny Marr on the way to his new solo album FEVER DREAMS PTS1-4.

Sly & the Family Stone - Greatest Hits
Johnny Marr: I actually thought my favorite soul record was STAND! by Sly & TheFamily Stone, but I noticed that some of the band's best songs aren't on STAND! at all. Therefore it is now GREATEST HITS - this may be the more boring choice, but instead you'll find "You Can Make It If You Try." The title sounds sentimental, but there is a lot of truth to it. My song "Spirit, Power And Soul" is based on it. You may not be able to change the world, that would be asking too much. And you can't make corrosive attitudes like racism or homophobia finally disappear from the face of the earth. I'm not naive enough to believe that, I'm not Crosby, Stills & f***ing Nash! But you can allow the experiences you gain in your life. You have that power. So use it! Empower yourself! "You can make it if you try" - that's the message of Soul.

Talking Heads - Remain In Light
We all heard this record in 1980, it influenced the sound of the English undergrounds immensely and is produced by Brian Eno. Suddenly everyone wanted the groove of Talking Heads combined with the adventurousness of MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF GHOSTS, the album David Byrne and Eno released a year after that. Over in Liverpool, Echo & The Bunnymen wanted to sound like that, in Bristol The Pop Group copied the groove, in Leeds Gang Of Four changed their sound, The Slits gave it a female vibe. It was an interesting time, because all the D.I.Y. punks suddenly wanted to make music that was supposed to be played by excellent musicians. Funk'n'jazz sensibilities played by poor pale girls and guys. Freak Party, the band Andy Rourke and I played in 1981 before we formed the Smiths, also dabbled in it. What you can tell: In the early '80s, when everybody wanted to be funky, rock music was kind of illegal. Nobody wanted that anymore. It took the Smiths to make Rock okay again.

Electronic - Electronic
This is the first of three albums that Bernard Sumner and I did under the Electronic name. The record was quite successful at the time, but I think it's worth pointing out that the song "Get The Message" on that album is one of the absolute best I've been involved with. Most people think the single "Getting Away With It" is the better song, that's okay, but to me the song doesn't mean that much. The time with Electronic was very exciting for me. The Smiths were at the end, in the media the split was a permanent topic. Basically, I was in a shitstorm at the time, at the age of 24, while a revolution was starting around me in Manchester, because pop was opening up to dance music. Then Bernard came around the corner with the idea of a non-band, which suited me very well in my situation. I felt like breaking the rules of indie rock. At first, no one wrote anything about a supergroup, everyone was just mourning The Smiths. The fact that Electronic was a New Order/
Smiths project, was only noticed after the second record RAISE THE PRESSURE. Whereupon we got Karl Bartos from Kraftwerk. Because if it's going to be a supergroup, then let's do it right.

Sorry - 925
I consciously decide not to let myself be influenced by new things. I don't want to seem like an older musician trying to sound current somehow. That seems undignified. No old man has the right to steal the vibe of youth. But there is a record from the year before last that blew me away: 925 by Sorry. They have a very interesting approach because they bring a lot of depth to the digital technology. They play electronic music, but the album sounds like a band that still knows how to perform music - and that's not just pressing around on a damn laptop.

Bobby Gillespie & Jehnny Beth Utopian Ashes
Bobby is a good friend, he played it for me before it came out. That may have influenced my judgment a bit. It's a great record of duets! I tried to copy them a little bit by asking Meredith Sheldon to sing on my new album. She used to be a singer with the band Family Of The Year, I like the female vibe she implemented to my tracks. You refrain from giving your songs any of that "Sister" energy.

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Juju
What is always worthwhile is to reach into the box with the records of Siouxsie & The Banshees, especially JUJU makes me happy. If I could put a quartet of the best singers, Siouxsie would definitely be there, along with Bryan Ferry, Ray Davies and Patti Smith. I like that Siouxsie has completely retired after an okay solo album. As far as I know she lives in the South of France and does well to stay away from the bullshit of the modern entertainment industry. On JUJU, not only are the vocals unbeatable, but so are the guitars of John McGeoch. No one has played like him. He was also the one who made THE CORRECT USE OF SOAP by Magazine into an album that never disappoints me.

Attachments

• asset2.jpg
    asset2.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 0
  • asset1.jpg
    asset1.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
Johnny's a funny guy for sayin' his song is based on
"You Can Make It If You Try."
Ain't heard nothin' that foolish in awhile.
:lbf:

I can hear the scratchy guitar riff from "You Can Make It" in the main synth line to "Spirit Power and Soul". Also I think he is talking about the lyrical intent of the song, of pushing forward with positivity.

Johnny's a funny guy for sayin' his song is based on
"You Can Make It If You Try."
Ain't heard nothin' that foolish in awhile.
:lbf:

great song, though Riot Goin’ On is my favorite album of theirs.

Open letter to Johnny ...

Please do a whole album with Siouxsie! You seem to dig her, and you need someone with a great vision, lyrics and voice to inspire and bring out some good writing from you.
As a bonus, she doesn’t like Morrissey, so already you two have something in common. Give us the next Banshees meets The Smiths on the way to a Magazine gig album!

:pray::pray::pray:

Btw...

It’s interesting that Marr’s management is now informing the interviewer that Marr will not be answering any questions about Morrissey, it seems.

Last edited:
"If I could put a quartet of the best singers, Siouxsie would definitely be there, along with Bryan Ferry, Ray Davies and Patti Smith."
Now get ready for 17 pages of Mozbots scandalised that Morrissey wasn't included in this quartet, and calling it a vicious 'dig' at him. :paranoid:

Now get ready for 17 pages of Mozbots scandalised that Morrissey wasn't included in this quartet, and calling it a vicious 'dig' at him. :paranoid:

The only thing scandalous about this quartet, is the inclusion of Ray Davies! I mean, he has a style that can be appreciated, but best singers?
Don’t get me wrong, The Kinks are great and all, but I think Marr likes him because Ray can’t really sing, so that probably inspires Marr to get up the nerve to sing also.

The only thing scandalous about this quartet, is the inclusion of Ray Davies! I mean, he has a style that can be appreciated, but best singers?
Don’t get me wrong, The Kinks are great and all, but I think Marr likes him because Ray can’t really sing, so that probably inspires Marr to get up the nerve to sing also.
cant listen to the kinks at all because rays voice is so bad. mark smith is the only person who cant sing that i love. his rendition of victoria is pretty great. anyway, what the f*** is going on here?

I'd rather Morrissey's name never come of out Marr's mouth again and I don't like him talking about other bands I like either, like Gang of Four. Leave Bryan Ferry alone too.

Oh, yes, musical outlaw that he is has single handedly make rock ok again :crazy:

I can't even address his gibberish about Electronic, I think he still takes drugs.

I'd rather Morrissey's name never come of out Marr's mouth again and I don't like him talking about other bands I like either, like Gang of Four. Leave Bryan Ferry alone too.

Oh, yes, musical outlaw that he is has single handedly make rock ok again :crazy:

I can't even address his gibberish about Electronic, I think he still takes drugs.
I’m totally with you on Marr never mentioning Morrissey! Marr needs to take the reins of the Smiths legacy.

I’m totally with you on Marr never mentioning Morrissey! Marr needs to take the reins of the Smiths legacy.
It's too late, Morrissey has been keeping the Smiths legacy alive for the past 35 years, he is far more recognizable and Johnny does not have what it takes. Johnny cannot credibly perform Smiths' songs live, he can't sing. Also, I think people underestimate the devotion of the Morrissey fans.

It's too late, Morrissey has been keeping the Smiths legacy alive for the past 35 years, he is far more recognizable and Johnny does not have what it takes. Johnny cannot credibly perform Smiths' songs live, he can't sing. Also, I think people underestimate the devotion of the Morrissey fans.

I think Morrissey is much more interested in his solo music, don't you agree? I think the Smiths just hold bad memories for him.

I think Morrissey is much more interested in his solo music, don't you agree? I think the Smiths just hold bad memories for him.
He plays Smiths songs, so I don't think he is only interested in his solo music. Unlike Johnny, he doesn't have to make half his setlist Smiths songs because no one wants to hear his solo stuff.

I can hear the scratchy guitar riff from "You Can Make It" in the main synth line to "Spirit Power and Soul". Also I think he is talking about the lyrical intent of the song, of pushing forward with positivity.

I'll take ya word for it regardin' so on and so forth about the synth line.
It gave me a funny chuckle though.

Johnny should do a funky album with Siouxsie and the Rhythm King!
Johnny would be better off doing an album with Bobby Gillespie. I never was a big fan of Primal Scream, just liked a few songs here and there, but I really liked the album Bobby did with Jehnny Beth (from Savages, a band Morrissey seems to like). Of course, they could still invite Siouxie to provide guest vocals., assuming she still has a good voice at this stage.

Wait a minute, Johnny goes on tour with the Killers later this year. Which means he will be invited on stage to perform a Smiths song with the Killers with Brandon doing the singing part. Lots of kids will like it and for a few of them, it may well be their introduction to the music of the Smiths. As much as I would like things to be differently, I think Johnny is currently in the better position to keep the flame of the Smiths aliv.

I agree with you that Morrissey has done a lot to keep the legacy of the Smiths alive over a period of nearly 30 years and that hasn’t hurt Johnny a bit.

Tags
german johnny marr press
Back
Top Bottom