New Johnny Marr album: 'Call The Comet' will be released 15/06/2018

Discussion in 'Other Music archive (read-only)' started by Famous when dead, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I️ agree he’s an ordinary singer. The thing I️ like about his solo records is that they are musically 100% him. That was not the case with his post-Smiths collaborations. The music of the Smiths was pure Marr (lyrics pure Moz). You could argue that his solo music is what would be if The Smiths where recording today. I️ listen to his new stuff with that in mind and it makes it that much more interesting.

BTW, I️ think This Tension off his last record is one of the most under rated songs and very Smiths-like.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sounds good but similarly encouraging claims were made for his last album, and that turned out not to have a single great song on it (unlike the first one which had 3 or 4). Will need a really good lead single and 4 star reviews across the board to tempt me to buy, this time.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree his an ordinary singer. One of the things I️ like about his solo records is that the music is 100% him. That was not the case with his post-Smiths collaborations. We know The Smiths was music by Marr with lyrics by Moz so you could argue that is the music on his solo records is what the Smiths would have sounded like if they recorded today. That makes his solo stuff that much more interesting to me.

BTW, I️ think This Tension off his last record his incredibly under rated and very Smiths like.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I really think people need to let the whole 'Smiths-like' attitude go, when it comes to Johnny's solo work. It seems like for some people, their sole criteria for whether they enjoy his solo stuff is - 'yeah, but does it sound like The Smiths?' It was 30+ years ago, folks, and we seem to have stopped judging Morrissey's solo material under this criteria yonks ago - people who disliked 'Low in High School' certainly had other reasons.

• Like Like x 2
  5. firstodie.

firstodie. Guest

I think. he's still wishing it was Andy. They were there from the start. I love him so much but I wish he'd realise how crucial Andy is.

6. Famous when dead

Famous when dead Vulgarian Moderator

Regards,
    FWD.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Surface

Surface Does anybody actually respond to Vegan Cro xxx?

Bit of a Joy Division vibe in that bass line?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dingoatemybabby

Dingoatemybabby Active Member

Having just listened to that a dozen times in a row, I have to say that ROCKS! Why is Johnny just stood there though? Get on the guitar, man!!

9. Dingoatemybabby

Dingoatemybabby Active Member

Looks very cool!!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nice. Made me think a bit of suede

• Like Like x 1
  11. firstodie.

firstodie. Guest

Doesn't do anything for me.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can't really tell anything one way or another from these tiny snippets - final song could be great or awful. Looking forward to hearing the entire thing!

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I️ like what I️ hear so far!

14. g23

g23 Always crashing in the same car

I don't think you have to have a great voice to make meaningful songs. Just an honest one, and I'll give him that for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Johnny and Mozza would be a dream. I doubt it will happen , its a shame why can't he just sack jesse who has no talent , we all know hes shit. People should pretend they like jesse, mozza will probably get rid of him then.
    Jesse is where all the leaks come from as well. Its because of Jesse there was a Moz death threat last year. Jesse had let some old tart get the inside scoop on where moz hangs out , got mozzers email the lot. dumb burrito alcoholic he is . Although the other theory it was sam's hooker fixation that lead to the trouble.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I like it, but I liked the bass clip better. Also he looks 20 years younger than Moz.

17. Peppermint

Peppermint Well-Known Member

So want this to be REALLY good I'm but sitting on the fence on this - so far. Happy to be surprised, Johnny!

As others have posted on here over the years, while I think while Johnny has an unnerring talent for a great riff, that talent doesn't always extend to the great vocal melody needed to bend it into the shape of a great song. I do think the extent of Morrissey's musical contribution in the Smiths is sometimes overlooked in this regard; and I also wonder if this is a factor in why Johnny has never achieved the super-stardom some think he should have achieved.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  18. g23

g23 Always crashing in the same car

I think that's just life. Like Morrissey, he's flirted with the mainstream but never really embraced it. I don't think he's complaining about the contents of his resume though. There are some pretty impressive accomplishments there.

19. Peppermint

Peppermint Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would agree there. I'm sure he's had/got absolutely the career he wanted. I'm just not convinced he's got the killer touch with vocal melodies, which would have made his writing accomplishments more stellar, post-Smiths. It's often struck me when instrumentals of various Smiths/Moz tunes have showed up on here, what a unique feel for melody Morrissey has (or had). More than once I've tried 'hearing' it as if for the first time and thinking, where would I go with that? And realising it would be nothing like what Morrissey came up with.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Charlie Cheswick

Charlie Cheswick Well-Known Member