New Johnny Marr album: 'Call The Comet' will be released 15/06/2018

I like his music and always have, particularly with The Smiths, The The, and Electronic . I had always wished he would have joined New Order.
However, I don't think he's a singer, or if he is his voice isn't unique enough. Similar comment for Bernard Butler: great guitarist but not a great singer.

I hate saying that because I'm not one of those Moz fans who blames Johnny for the untimely demise of The Smiths. I just don't dig his singing voice.

I for one, LOVE his singing voice - it's very masculine, but not macho, cool, soothing. It works in service to the song. I think that if he wasn't in the Smiths, no one would be mentioning his voice, it's just not like Morrissey's.

If he does, then he aint telling Mr Cavanagh, despite the tease. He becomes virtually and very untypically mono-syllabic when Cavanagh brings up Brexit Moz etc. Gives about 3 brusque answers, which can be summarised as 'phhht not bovered mate'

I think Johnny is now very savvy when it comes to the press. If you follow his Twitter, half his posts are political in nature. He just won't respond negatively to anything about Morrissey or anyone else (i.e. Liam Gallagher) and good for him!! He knows exactly what they are trying to do with those questions and he's not playing.

He's a very ordinary singer , lyric writer and frontman. I believe his albums would have been most unnoticed if he hadn't been in The Smiths. They lack of good vocal melodies. I wish he found a proper partner to write songs with. I'm still waiting for him to surprise me.

I think Johnny is now very savvy when it comes to the press. If you follow his Twitter, half his posts are political in nature. He just won't respond negatively to anything about Morrissey or anyone else (i.e. Liam Gallagher) and good for him!! He knows exactly what they are trying to do with those questions and he's not playing.
I don't know if he's behind his own facebook, but I've seen him like posts poking fun at Morrissey. It was a Thanksgiving post of his where I said that I appreciated his "gentle take on preaching veganism, unlike certain people who think snuff films are a good conversation starter", and he gave it a like.

He's a very ordinary singer , lyric writer and frontman. I believe his albums would have been most unnoticed if he hadn't been in The Smiths. They lack of good vocal melodies. I wish he found a proper partner to write songs with. I'm still waiting for him to surprise me.

I disagree with you, but hey, that's cool. I think in songs like "The Messenger", "New Town Velocity", "Dynamo", "The Trap", "Psychic Beginner", "Lockdown", "Too Blue", etc. etc. he proves his worth as a singer and songwriter. Have you heard these songs? I think they are pop gems.

I disagree with you, but hey, that's cool. I think in songs like "The Messenger", "New Town Velocity", "Dynamo", "The Trap", "Psychic Beginner", "Lockdown", "Too Blue", etc. etc. he proves his worth as a singer and songwriter. Have you heard these songs? I think they are pop gems.

Yes, I have. I "try" to like him but I just can't... :(

I think his voice will get better the more he sings. I saw him do a live performance of 'bigmouth' and I was surprised by how well he sang it.

Lots of Johnny coverage recently.

Regards,
FWD.

Johnny's voice is no worse or better than Bernie's from New Order - in fact when he does Electronic songs, the singing almost sounds the same as the original.
The music was largely rubbish on the last album (but pretty good on the first). He's had 4 years to write some good melodies though so there's grounds for hope. Main concern is the album's length at nearly 60 mins. I expect it needs a little editing...

Has anyone read the article? I’m wondering if there is any discriptions of the songs or how the music sounds in relation to what he’s done recently. What’s the first single?

Has anyone read the article? I’m wondering if there is any discriptions of the songs or how the music sounds in relation to what he’s done recently. What’s the first single?
Here's a few things:
- Album is 12 songs, 58 minutes. Sounds like it's got the 80s post punk sound of Playland
- Johnny says his favorite song is The Tracers, because it's intense.
- He says Hi Hello reminds him of There Is A Light...
- Different Gun is described as an epic.
- Johnny says this the best album he's ever made
- Out June 22. Doesn't say what's the first single, but they mention a song called Bug being very instant.
- He's scheduling time with Maxine Peake to finish up the rest of their collaboration. He says The Preist is the most conventional sounding of what they've recorded.

Can't wait, I'm really into Johnnys solo albums.

A wonderful version of "Still Ill" - love the interplay of the guitars.

What a fantastic way to start my St. Patrick's day celebrations. He really does know how to sing a Morrissey lyric. I wouldn't mind if he only ever did Smiths songs . I suppose when you've been on stage with Morrissey so many times singing along to yourself, you're bound to have picked up his technique. This performance says more about their love than any words.

Here's a few things:
- Album is 12 songs, 58 minutes. Sounds like it's got the 80s post punk sound of Playland
- Johnny says his favorite song is The Tracers, because it's intense.
- He says Hi Hello reminds him of There Is A Light...
- Different Gun is described as an epic.
- Johnny says this the best album he's ever made
- Out June 22. Doesn't say what's the first single, but they mention a song called Bug being very instant.
- He's scheduling time with Maxine Peake to finish up the rest of their collaboration. He says The Preist is the most conventional sounding of what they've recorded.

Can't wait, I'm really into Johnnys solo albums.

Sweet thanks. I'm excited but I don't really trust it when he says it sounds like there is a light cause it usually turns out to mean they share some specific guitar technique or something and when I hear it my thought is that the songs don't really sound alike. 58 min is a long album as well for twelve songs so maybe the epic one is a bit long

What a fantastic way to start my St. Patrick's day celebrations. He really does know how to sing a Morrissey lyric. I wouldn't mind if he only ever did Smiths songs . I suppose when you've been on stage with Morrissey so many times singing along to yourself, you're bound to have picked up his technique. This performance says more about their love than any words.

His voice is still a bit pedestrian to my ears, but it is improving. I've never been able to get over how easy he makes it look to play those guitar parts. He can play whilst jumping up and down, looking around the room, talking to bandmates - other guitarists playing his music usually concentrate like crazy and barely lift their head the whole time (and if it's Jesse, concentrates and flubs it anyway).

This is exactly it. And the lyrics. But something like "New Town Velocity", that's a beautiful piece of music. That's a modern-day "Some Girls..."

true.

Back
Top Bottom