New Johnny Marr album: 'Call The Comet' will be released 15/06/2018

Famous when dead

Vulgarian

News soon.
Regards,
FWD.

Cool! Cannot wait! It's interesting that someone predicted he would wait until Morrissey's tour was over to make an announcement - and that's what he did.

Interesting. Never really liked "Playland" but The Messenger was a strong album.

I'm rubbish with things like Instagram and don't have an account, but this sent me rifling through his old photos. Does this bloke ever age? And who knew he played with Little Barrie?

marr.jpg

Interesting. Never really liked "Playland" but The Messenger was a strong album.

Yep, Playland was rubbish (only Money Money was half decent) but Messenger was pretty good. Had about four really impressive songs. Playland came out a year after Messenger - too soon, presumably, for him to come up with any memorable melodies. He's had four years this time, and has said he wants to channel his inner-Smith so hoping for a big improvement. The voice and lyrics will never be great but if the tunes are good, we'll still have an enjoyable album.

Yep, Playland was rubbish (only Money Money was half decent) but Messenger was pretty good. Had about four really impressive songs. Playland came out a year after Messenger - too soon, presumably, for him to come up with any memorable melodies. He's had four years this time, and has said he wants to channel his inner-Smith so hoping for a big improvement. The voice and lyrics will never be great but if the tunes are good, we'll still have an enjoyable album.

Hmm that’s encouraging

cool!

• A quick check through David Cavanagh’s splendid history of John Peel’s radio shows Goodnight And Good Riddance reveals that I first heard the music of Johnny Marr on June 1, 1983. This was The Smiths’ first session for Peel and in particular, I clearly remember being blown away by the guitar intro to “What Difference Does It Make?” To this day, that dashing, driving riff still raises the hairs on the back of my arm when I hear it. Marr, both in The Smiths and in countless other projects since, has remained a constant and consistent presence – as guitarist-for-hire, collaborator, wingman and, increasingly, as a formidable solo artist in his own right.
This month’s exclusive cover story finds Marr at a critical point in his career. On the verge of releasing a brilliant new solo album, he is also coming to terms with the social and political upheavals of the last few years. As David Cavanagh finds out when he visits him in his native Manchester, Marr is a naturally positive thinker, who feels that music in the next decade can send powerful messages of hope and togetherness. Having read David’s typically brilliant piece several times now, I’m struck by Marr’s enthusiasm and open-heartedness; his unshakeable belief in the importance on music. He has also, resolutely, remained one of us, when certain parties – former band mates, maybe – are clearly opting to pursue a more divisive and reactionary path. Johnny has some views on that, for sure.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
  • A quick check through David Cavanagh’s splendid history of John Peel’s radio shows Goodnight And Good Riddance reveals that I first heard the music of Johnny Marr on June 1, 1983. This was The Smiths’ first session for Peel and in particular, I clearly remember being blown away by the guitar intro to “What Difference Does It Make?” To this day, that dashing, driving riff still raises the hairs on the back of my arm when I hear it. Marr, both in The Smiths and in countless other projects since, has remained a constant and consistent presence – as guitarist-for-hire, collaborator, wingman and, increasingly, as a formidable solo artist in his own right.
This month’s exclusive cover story finds Marr at a critical point in his career. On the verge of releasing a brilliant new solo album, he is also coming to terms with the social and political upheavals of the last few years. As David Cavanagh finds out when he visits him in his native Manchester, Marr is a naturally positive thinker, who feels that music in the next decade can send powerful messages of hope and togetherness. Having read David’s typically brilliant piece several times now, I’m struck by Marr’s enthusiasm and open-heartedness; his unshakeable belief in the importance on music. He has also, resolutely, remained one of us, when certain parties – former band mates, maybe – are clearly opting to pursue a more divisive and reactionary path. Johnny has some views on that, for sure.

If he does, then he aint telling Mr Cavanagh, despite the tease. He becomes virtually and very untypically mono-syllabic when Cavanagh brings up Brexit Moz etc. Gives about 3 brusque answers, which can be summarised as 'phhht not bovered mate'

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If he does, then he aint telling Mr Cavanagh, despite the tease. He becomes virtually and very untypically mono-syllabic when Cavanagh brings up Brexit Moz etc. Gives about 3 brusque answers, which can be summarised as 'phhht not bovered mate'

In some ways I think that's a good thing. If he wants that togetherness thing to happen it's good that he doesn't take the opportunity to simply badmouth brexiters in general which seems to be the leading intention of morrissey and brexit related questions

I like his music and always have, particularly with The Smiths, The The, and Electronic . I had always wished he would have joined New Order.
However, I don't think he's a singer, or if he is his voice isn't unique enough. Similar comment for Bernard Butler: great guitarist but not a great singer.

I hate saying that because I'm not one of those Moz fans who blames Johnny for the untimely demise of The Smiths. I just don't dig his singing voice.

In some ways I think that's a good thing. If he wants that togetherness thing to happen it's good that he doesn't take the opportunity to simply badmouth brexiters in general which seems to be the leading intention of morrissey and brexit related questions

í can't decide whether it's Northern good manners, general chilled charm or media nous ~ he knows that these hacks are just itching for him to come 'on side' and slag the hell out of Mad Mozzer. And then the headline becomes...blah blah blah.

God knows he's had-a-go before, with far less ammunition, back in his mad-furrit, wearing-a-winter-coat indoors phase.

Of course, the real reason for his reticence is that he's actually best friends again with Mad Mozzer, and The Smiths Resumption is on for 2019.

í can't decide whether it's Northern good manners, general chilled charm or media nous ~ he knows that these hacks are just itching for him to come 'on side' and slag the hell out of Mad Mozzer. And then the headline becomes...blah blah blah.

God knows he's had-a-go before, with far less ammunition, back in his mad-furrit, wearing-a-winter-coat indoors phase.

Of course, the real reason for his reticence is that he's actually best friends again with Mad Mozzer, and The Smiths Resumption is on for 2019.

I agree that they want the gossipy negative headline and I'm glad he doesn't give it to them especially after his positivity togetherness comments. I mean how weird would that look to talk about the power of music and bringing people together and then to bash or slag as you might say his former band mate and a popular political stance. Just for the record I'm against brexit as much as any non Britain can be but the conversation on the topic has been very counter productive from my view on both sides of the issue. I don't think any of these people just want marrs thoughts on the topic of politics though as they don't ask generally his thoughts much but always try and phrase it in some sort of conflict. He for sure has had some interesting interviews at times. The early electronic ones were the oddest imo (the ones where he sounds maybe a bit coked out and talking about fighting people) but I think he's just gotten more used to doing and dealing with interviewers as he got older and more experienced. I'm pretty excited about a new album even if he's not the best snger. I don't think he does himself a disservice or anything with his vocals

Unless Johnny has Andy on bass I'm not interested. Johnny's playing sounds very ordinary to my ears without Andy. Johnny owes Andy a HUGE debt. Andy and Morrissey are huge talents and Johnny......isn't. I'll now retire to my wardrobe for a few days.

Unless Johnny has Andy on bass I'm not interested. Johnny's playing sounds very ordinary to my ears without Andy. Johnny owes Andy a HUGE debt. Andy and Morrissey are huge talents and Johnny......isn't. I'll now retire to my wardrobe for a few days.
That's the weakest trolling attempt I've seen on these boards in a good while.

Back
Top Bottom