New(ish) here

AtImber2022

Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Hi
Just wanted to (re-) introduce myself.
I actually used to post on this forum years & years & years ago (pre-2000s, I think!) - but had a hiatus etc. etc. and have forgotten my old account details - though I think a trawl through the archives would do it.

Anyway, I'm in the UK and have been a fan since 'Boy With The Thorn In His Side' but really became a proper fan with Vauxhall.

Just a note: 'At Imber' is a reference both to 'At Amber' and also Imber, the abbey in Ruth Murdoch's novel The Bell.

Hi
Just wanted to (re-) introduce myself.
I actually used to post on this forum years & years & years ago (pre-2000s, I think!) - but had a hiatus etc. etc. and have forgotten my old account details - though I think a trawl through the archives would do it.

Anyway, I'm in the UK and have been a fan since 'Boy With The Thorn In His Side' but really became a proper fan with Vauxhall.

Just a note: 'At Imber' is a reference both to 'At Amber' and also Imber, the abbey in Ruth Murdoch's novel The Bell.

ok, lol.

'At Imber' is a reference both to 'At Amber' and also Imber, the abbey in Ruth Murdoch's novel The Bell.

I hate myself for being such a terrible pedant, but I think you meant to say Iris Murdoch, not Ruth, which is understandable since they are both names belonging to a bygone grandmotherly generation of peeling wallpaper, lace curtains, and Hummel figurines, and are not much given anymore in this age of Ambers and Dakotas. But then, would Amber Heard have gotten as far in life if she had been Ruth Heard instead?

But welcome back, since you like Iris Murdoch. I do as well. I've always liked her writing, and her Paddy physiognomy and her blunt, jagged haircuts.

Iris-Murdoch.jpg

I hate myself for being such a terrible pedant, but I think you meant to say Iris Murdoch, not Ruth, which is understandable since they are both names belonging to a bygone grandmotherly generation of peeling wallpaper, lace curtains, and Hummel figurines, and are not much given anymore in this age of Ambers and Dakotas. But then, would Amber Heard have gotten as far in life if she had been Ruth Heard instead?

But welcome back, since you like Iris Murdoch. I do as well. I've always liked her writing, and her Paddy physiognomy and her blunt, jagged haircuts.

Iris-Murdoch.jpg
no, the question is: would amber heard have gotten as far in life without johnny depp wanting to relive his youth by bagging a young girlfriend and the answer is a resounding no! ruth wilson on the other hand got where she is on her own talent and is a thousand times hotter than amber heard could ever be. so all im saying is, aint nothing wrong with the name ruth.

no, the question is: would amber heard have gotten as far in life without johnny depp wanting to relive his youth by bagging a young girlfriend and the answer is a resounding no! ruth wilson on the other hand got where she is on her own talent and is a thousand times hotter than amber heard could ever be. so all im saying is, aint nothing wrong with the name ruth.

I must disagree on Amber Heard. She was a known sex symbol before she married Johnny Depp. If there was any doubt, it was irrefutable after the Guess jeans photo sessions she did with Ellen von Unwerth. And that becomes a problem, unfortunately, because it's often difficult for a great-looking starlet to be taken seriously as an actress. Ruth Wilson is the better actress, and she certainly has a terrific face when it isn't glammed up: she has a dourness and a severity about her. She is probably more interesting to behold than Amber Heard is, but "a thousand times hotter"? Nay.

Iris-Murdoch.jpg
Of course it's Iris! How silly of me. Oh my goodness, how embarrassing.
I was trying to make a good re-impression and channelling M's letters but clearly I failed.

Whilst we are here, top 3 Iris Murdoch novels anyone?

1. The Sea , The Sea
2. The Black Prince
3. The Bell (the homo-erotica at Imber is something else.)

I must disagree on Amber Heard. She was a known sex symbol before she married Johnny Depp. If there was any doubt, it was irrefutable after the Guess jeans photo sessions she did with Ellen von Unwerth. And that becomes a problem, unfortunately, because it's often difficult for a great-looking starlet to be taken seriously as an actress. Ruth Wilson is the better actress, and she certainly has a terrific face when it isn't glammed up: she has a dourness and a severity about her. She is probably more interesting to behold than Amber Heard is, but "a thousand times hotter"? Nay.
look, im solo's answer to the michelin guide and i say ruth wilson is a thousand times hotter and more beautiful than amber heard. amber heard has very generic features. while prettiness may be based on having generic features, beauty is based on extreme features, and ruth wilson has much more extreme features than amber heard, whose features all fall within the lines.

the guess jeans advert?!?! do people actually pay attention to guess jeans adverts now that the 90s are over?!? is guess jeans even still around?? guess jeans is not exactly the pinnacle of hotness, fyi.

Whilst we are here, top 3 Iris Murdoch novels anyone?

I really liked her impressions of Catholicism in The Red and the Green. I agree with you on The Sea, The Sea, and the last of hers I read was a late-period novel, The Good Apprentice, which was very good, in spite of some tediousness. It doesn't have her usual economy.

Back
Top Bottom