Morrissey Central "NEW GUITARIST" (April 13, 2023)

Carmen Vandenberg (below) will play guitars with Jesse Tobias in the new
line-up for Morrissey's forthcoming July concerts in Israel, Ireland and Britain.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true. It seemed Matt Walker left for good in 2012, only to return behind the kit a year later. Even Morrissey released this statement on June 3, 2012 regarding Walker:

"Our little covered wagon has lost drummer Matt Walker, who was eager to bring his term to an end. No bargainings could persuade him to stay, and his interest drew its last breath at Stockton. Behind the kit, Matt was a greyhound unleashed, and his great work on Years of refusal will always and forever speak up in his favor. His exit is sad, but he had no wish to continue, and a branch falls away."

I'm hoping Alain changes his mind and comes back again.

Yes, but more importantly, with or without M, I hope Alain finds happiness in whatever he chooses to do.

It's now virtually impossible to love Morrissey. He's so far removed from the wit, humour and panache he had as a solo artist circa 88-94. To allow Alain to depart is a monumental f*** up especially when Jesse is allowed to remain and continue to butcher sonically.

Morrissey needs to lighten up and appreciate the talent he's written with and mistakenly let go.

A band featuring Reilly, Street, Paresi, Alain and Gannon would have rivalled The Smiths.

And the keyboard player has been a step too far for some time now.
Funnily enough, I find it very easy!

That's true. It seemed Matt Walker left for good in 2012, only to return behind the kit a year later. Even Morrissey released this statement on June 3, 2012 regarding Walker:

"Our little covered wagon has lost drummer Matt Walker, who was eager to bring his term to an end. No bargainings could persuade him to stay, and his interest drew its last breath at Stockton. Behind the kit, Matt was a greyhound unleashed, and his great work on Years of refusal will always and forever speak up in his favor. His exit is sad, but he had no wish to continue, and a branch falls away."

Yep, he had some nice things to say about Matt at the time, but in the meantime Matt left the ship again in 2020 and there hasn’t been a word about him on Morrissey Central. And the same goes for Boz in 2020 or AW in 2023. As a non-musician who insists on band members actively participating in songwriting and recording, this is just very sad and it doesn’t feel right.

Yep, he had some nice things to say about Matt at the time, but in the meantime Matt left the ship again in 2020 and there hasn’t been a word about him on Morrissey Central. And the same goes for Boz in 2020 or AW in 2023. As a non-musician who insists on band members actively participating in songwriting and recording, this is just very sad and it doesn’t feel right.
I wasn't aware he had made such a nice comment about Matt back then. Strange how these other times he has said absolutely nothing.

Great find. I had completely forgotten. Seems near impossible for a farewell comment like that today.

I wasn't aware he had made such a nice comment about Matt back then. Strange how these other times he has said absolutely nothing.
I remember even at the time thinking it was unusual. It did seem sincere, but I think the context at the time was an explanation of why live shows couldn't go ahead, rather than just an announcement of departure. Or am I confusing that with Deano Butterworth's exit?

I think it was a dig at Matt more than a farewell. It’s riddled in sarcasm.
"His exit is sad" is a lot more than most get but I agree, the tone is strange. Bargaining?

Great find. I had completely forgotten. Seems near impossible for a farewell comment like that today.
Maybe there was a quarrel (in America they say “irreconcilable differences”) and he's happy to see Alain go. Then it's better to not say anything.

Maybe there was a quarrel and he's happy to see Alain go. Then it's better to not say anything.

I'm thinking that Alain was dismayed at the current state of the Morrissey band business. When Alain came back into the band, BOT was still coming out in Feb'23. It's expensive to live in Los Angeles, as Alain knows, so if it's not lucrative for him to be in the band right now that makes sense too.

Alain can release his own records. So can Gustavo. Jesse could play e-bow on both. You can get Boz to co-write, especially the singles. I think Matt W. would be down for some studio work, and he'd invite his brother to play bass. Ba-da-bing!

"His exit is sad" is a lot more than most get but I agree, the tone is strange. Bargaining?
Maybe. But I’m looking more at how he exaggerated the night Matt had had enough (so, in other words, he took his drumsticks and marched out the door like a spoiled child and no matter what we said or did could make the boy happy!) Just snarky, I guess. That’s just how I see it. Maybe Morrissey felt angry and hurt and that was his way of expressing it. I mean, he’s never bid farewell to anyone alive that I can think of! So, why Matt? 😄

I'm thinking that Alain was dismayed at the current state of the Morrissey band business. When Alain came back into the band, BOT was still coming out in Feb'23. It's expensive to live in Los Angeles, as Alain knows, so if it's not lucrative for him to be in the band right now that makes sense too.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. Let's not forgot Alain has already been through a no record deal period with Morrissey... the time between Maladjusted and Quarry... maybe he wasn't keen to repeat it?

Alain can release his own records. So can Gustavo. Jesse could play e-bow on both. You can get Boz to co-write, especially the singles. I think Matt W. would be down for some studio work, and he'd invite his brother to play bass. Ba-da-bing!
Mmm... but it is lucrative for him to be in the band. He surely makes way more money playing live with Moz than he does on his own. And it doesn't stop him from releasing his own records (or with the rest of the ex Moz band members)

Mmm... but it is lucrative for him to be in the band. He surely makes way more money playing live with Moz than he does on his own. And it doesn't stop him from releasing his own records (or with the rest of the ex Moz band members)

I suspect Alain has a steady income from his royalties, apart from his Morrissey work he has written songs for Madonna, The Black Eyed Peas, Chris Brown, Cheryl Cole and a number of other artists who sell a lot of records.

I suspect Alain has a steady income from his royalties, apart from his Morrissey work he has written songs for Madonna, The Black Eyed Peas, Chris Brown, Cheryl Cole and a number of other artists who sell a lot of records.

True. It’s obvious Alain works with Morrissey not for the money, but for the chance to work with the real artist that Morrissey is and not with the other acts like the examples you gave above.

Yeah. My point was not really that Alain is short on money or that money is THE reason he wanted back into the Morrissey band. But just that it is more lucrative for him to play in the Moz band than not to play in it, whatever other income he has.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom