New found appreciation for ‘Kill Uncle’

Tbevie

Girl afraid
Sorry I didn't mean to make this a double post. I don't appreciate it that much ;)

Last edited:
I’m in the middle of reading, Morrissey the albums by Johnny Rogan. I was reading the ‘Kill Uncle ‘section last night and I got the urge to listen to the album, because I realized that I hadn’t listened to it, as a whole, for quite a while.

I always thought it had its high points, Our Frank, Sing your life, Driving your girlfriend home. But as an album I thought it was quite week and a bit boring and uninspiring. But when I listened to it last night it was like listening to it for the first time. I really appreciated it for what it is, a short, delicate and at times beautiful album.

I agree with people who say that some of the lyrics aren’t his best and that some of the melodies aren’t as strong as previous albums but I think it has a certain charm and I find it really listenable.

It’s not his best album but it’s definitely not his worst. I’m really enjoying all of the tracks at the moment, even “Harsh truth...” :eek:

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this or any other album?

I haven't had that experience with Morrissey or The Smiths. I devoured every album and dwelt upon them for days, months, years...

(Well, not so much the last few Morrissey albums because I haven't had the time to do that.)

I did have an experience like yours with Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures". At first I didn't like it at all, couldn't get used to Curtis's voice. After I bought "Closer", though, which I loved almost instantly, I went back and I couldn't believe what I had missed. It's definitely a "grower".

Whenever I play "Kill Uncle", I am always mildly surprised because it's better than I remember it being. I more or less gave up on it after the tour because the rockier stage versions were so superior, in my opinion, that I couldn't go back and play the songs which you aptly describe as delicate. I find Morrissey's songs to be hard and tough-- beautiful but bruising, with cutting humor and crackling with a lot of fight. For that reason the precious (read: wimpy) "Kill Uncle" was and remains an unusual record in my view. I love side one but side two loses steam fast-- although the sublime "There's A Place In Hell" redeems the entire thing.

I more or less gave up on it after the tour because the rockier stage versions were so superior, in my opinion, that I couldn't go back and play the songs which you aptly describe as delicate.

I couldn't agree more!

I am fortunate enough to have seen him on the Kill Uncle tour (at the Liverpool Empire Theatre) and I have to say that it was right up there in my top 3 Moz gigs of all time (only the MEN Arena gig and my one and only Smiths gig were better).

The fact that I very rarely listen to Kill Uncle itself yet some of the '91 boots (particularly Costa Mesa and Utrecht) are constantly playing on my stereo speaks for itself!

kill uncle is a classic album tony the pony, driving your girl......, the end of the family line and the list go on and on..

TRUE MORISSEY FAN HERE SINCE 91.

Last edited:
kill uncle is a classic album tony the pony, driving your girl......, the end of the family line and the list go on and on..

TRUE MORISSEY FAN HERE SINCE 91.

amen

mute witness /found found found/ there's a place in hell ... /asian rut/
driving yer girlfriend home ... all are good songs too

yeah this album definitly aint too bad, and i also agree the way the songs from bona drag-kill uncle era are played lived kill it....in fact i had to listen to thse songs live to actually give them another chance

my favorites on kill uncle are sing your life, king leer, there is a place, driving your girlfriend home

over all its unfortunately on of my least favorites

i think it's actually a very good album. The production is quite weak and some songs are quite bad but beside that it's very good. It's only "found found found" and "harsh truth" that i can't stand.
"Driving your girlfriend" is one of his best songs ever.

I like it mainly because it's nothing like any of his other output, hence is a breath of fresh air... even if its a 'wimpy' at times. Better than Malajusted, as good as Southpaw or Ringleader

I’m really enjoying all of the tracks at the moment, even “Harsh truth...” :eek:

Has anyone else had a similar experience with this or any other album?

I can honestly say that has never happened to me! I couldnt get into Maladjusted at first because I never managed to get passed leaving trouble loves me on repeat play. I still have trouble with that sometimes but I like the album as a whole a lot more now.

Back
Top Bottom