'Dig!' article on 'Some Girls are Bigger Than Others' (June 27, 2022)

jesus .

Let's be honest, Marr would cream his skinny jeans to come up with a song (story) idea, words and vocal that is even a 1/3 as original as M (even on a bad day)
I'm not a Marr hater (in fact I have that ilk on block) but jeez, does Marr play in the pool of Rock cliche, faux spiritual leanings and all.

I think Morrissey and Marr were equals in the Smiths partnership. There is a poster on this forum who thinks Morrissey made a pact with a demon, but I think if anyone did such a thing, it was Johnny Marr. He had four years of unspeakable genius, but he could never replicate it thereafter. He retained his technical ability, yet lost his creative muse. He became a mortal after leaving the Smiths.

Last edited:
I think Morrissey and Marr were equals in the Smiths partnership. There is a poster on this forum who thinks Morrissey made a pact with a demon, but I think if anyone did such a thing, it was Johnny Marr. He had four years of unspeakable genius, but he could never replicate it thereafter.

He retained his technical ability, yet lost his creative muse. He became a mortal after leaving the Smiths.

the creative muse that he lost was Morrissey.

I think Morrissey and Marr were equals in the Smiths partnership. There is a poster on this forum who thinks Morrissey made a pact with a demon, but I think if anyone did such a thing, it was Johnny Marr. He had four years of unspeakable genius, but he could never replicate it thereafter. He retained his technical ability, yet lost his creative muse. He became a mortal after leaving the Smiths.
Johnny isn't a small-minded racist. Shame that flaw ruined Morrissey. He was ashamed long enough to pretend his flirting with fascism was in jest until he foolishly felt it was the right time to demonstrate being a bigot was marketable. It isn't.

Yes Morrissey maintained his dignity.

Isn't Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others about fanny size? :)
At first I presumed it was about boob size, but it may well be that Morrissey was using the word 'girl' in a camp sense to mean 'gay man' (in the same way that the title track of the album plays with gender, with the 'some old queen or other' clearly referring to a gay man, rather than Queen Elizabeth II.).

So read in that light, the song might be about a dick measuring contest. When Johnny Marr plays it solo, he frequently changes the chorus to 'some boys are bigger than others', which means he's on the same wavelength.

At first I presumed it was about boob size, but it may well be that Morrissey was using the word 'girl' in a camp sense to mean 'gay man' (in the same way that the title track of the album plays with gender, with the 'some old queen or other' clearly referring to a gay man, rather than Queen Elizabeth II.).

So read in that light, the song might be about a dick measuring contest. When Johnny Marr plays it solo, he frequently changes the chorus to 'some boys are bigger than others', which means he's on the same wavelength.
Good observation. The song is certainly not about female body measurements, and his 'explanation' for it is really tongue-in-cheek.

Never tire of this song.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom