New Depeche Mode album "Memento Mori" and world tour announced

I’m not a DM fan, but I’ve enjoyed many of their songs in the past. This new single is nothing short of amazing. A fabulous and bittersweet pop song with more than a little darkness sprinkled throughout. Will definitely be checking out the album when it’s released.

Don't understand how dm became so megahuge touring act while solo moz and new order can barely sell out 2000 people venues.

Eh, New Order sold out the O2 which holds 20k and at Heaton Park they played to over 55k on their last UK dates.

Last edited:
I’m not a DM fan, but I’ve enjoyed many of their songs in the past. This new single is nothing short of amazing. A fabulous and bittersweet pop song with more than a little darkness sprinkled throughout. Will definitely be checking out the album when it’s released.
Agree with this. I liked everything from earliest stuff through to Violator, which was followed by a 33 year black hole for me. I randomly heard the new song on the radio while I was driving a couple of days ago, and despite having tuned in mid-song it was so instantaneously identifiable as Depeche Mode. In a good way. While still sounding fresh and new for them. It was like a 2023 version of all the things DM used to get right and do really well

Agree with this. I liked everything from earliest stuff through to Violator, which was followed by a 33 year black hole for me. I randomly heard the new song on the radio while I was driving a couple of days ago, and despite having tuned in mid-song it was so instantaneously identifiable as Depeche Mode. In a good way. While still sounding fresh and new for them. It was like a 2023 version of all the things DM used to get right and do really well
I agree that Violator is their last great album, but I'd also give honorable mention to Playing the Angel as a very good album. Other than that I've been disappointed in their post-Violator output until now. I guess Songs of Faith & Devotion wasn't horrible but after 3 amazing albums in a row (Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, and Violator) it started the decline, IMO.

Last edited:
Some song/album spoilers translated from a Czech website:

>>>

Since I had a chance to hear the snippet... all the songs below are sung by Dave

Don't Say You Love Me - slow song in Cover Me style, but not so ethereal.

Caroline's Monkey - very catchy song, medium tempo, for me so far no.2. Gahan sings it a bit arrogant, but it fits the song well. There is also a moment when Dave and Martin sing the word "Sometimes" together. And it takes you right back to the Black Celebration album.

Before We Drown - again the feeling of Cover Me.

Never Let Me Go - super fast, punchy and dymanic song (BPM Photographic), wild howling guitar, like John The Revelator on steroids, for me so far no.1. This will make people wild during the concert (if they play it) and at the party.

Speak To Me - slow crawl, musically just a simple synth line and gahan's typical slow vocals in the style of Miracles from Hourglass.

Wagging Tongue - I've played this one only once from the Taratata record, but I can't even hear the song there, only the applause. So I want to listen to it again only in the original studio version.

The album booklet contains a tribute to Andy "In our HEARTS and MINDS - dave & martin" and the strongest photo DM ever took. It will give you chills and make you cry.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 9.36.25 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-02-17 9.41.02 PM.png

New song “My Favourite Stranger” (“Wagging Tongue” precedes it from the full performance) —

“In the end James was kind of, ‘I’ve had enough of this! I want everyone out of studio. I just want Martin and Dave to sit in here and we’re going to talk about this.’ Fletch did not like that. He literally had to get manhandled out of the studio by our manager. I mean, kicking and screaming. ‘I’m in the band! Why aren’t I in this conversation?’”

So Gahan and Gore had it out, minus Fletcher, and in the process realised their issues were more wide-ranging than they’d thought.

“We had these unspoken things. Martin was like, ‘Well, you get this and you can walk on stage and everybody goes nuts. And I write the songs.’”

Gahan – who has contributed songs since 2005’s Playing The Angel – took up the gauntlet.

“How many songs can I have then?”

“Well if there’s 12 you can have four at the most.”

“Fine! Now I know, right? So I won’t bother writing 10!”

It seems a bitter irony that despite all his years devoted to keeping Depeche Mode together, a by-product of Andy Fletcher’s passing might be better relations between Martin Gore and Dave Gahan.

“I think Fletch’s presence forced Martin and I to… maybe this is the wrong word, but compete,” reflects Gahan. “And it created a certain atmosphere of being a bit spiky. So Martin and I have had to find a different way. We had to find a way of communicating, becoming friends.”

Becoming friends, after 40-odd years in a band together?
Gahan smiles.

“Sounds weird, I know.”

New song “My Favourite Stranger” (“Wagging Tongue” precedes it from the full performance) —

My go at MFS lyrics, feel free to help amend:

Some perfect stranger
Stays on tip-toes
Spins(?) my shadow
And goes where I go

Ah!

My favourite stranger
Stares in my mirror
Puts words in my mouth
All broken, bitter(?)

Some perfect stranger
My imitation
Drops my name in
My conversations

The perfect stranger
Speaks when I speak
Walks in my footsteps
And talks in my sleep

My favourite stranger
Stands where I stand
Leaves spite(?) in my way
And blood on my hand

My go at MFS lyrics, feel free to help amend:

Some perfect stranger
Stays on tip-toes
Spins(?) my shadow
And goes where I go

Ah!

My favourite stranger
Stares in my mirror
Puts words in my mouth
All broken, bitter(?)

Some perfect stranger
My imitation
Drops my name in
My conversations

The perfect stranger
Speaks when I speak
Walks in my footsteps
And talks in my sleep

My favourite stranger
Stands where I stand
Leaves spite(?) in my way
And blood on my hand

Wagging Tongue is a lot more difficult to make out to my ears. My go, anyway:

Your worrying words are sighted(?)
When your words are a wagging tongue
[inaudible?] song
Your song yet to be sung

I won't be affected/evicted/offended?
When you bend(?) across the Great Divide
Believe me, they will follow
Watch another angel die

You walked [inaudible]?
Your secrets and your lies
When your piercing(?) [inaudible] silence
Relax, enjoy the ride

I'll meet you by the river
Or maybe on the other side
You'll find it hard to swallow
When you watch another angel die

Watch another angel die

Another sun is rising
Another day has come
You can find me, I'll be waiting
Until the day is done

I won't be persuaded
Push your doubts goodbye?
Everything seems hollow
When you watch another angel die

Watch another angel die

Haha, floor tickets are 852.00 then 752.00 each, the next best tickets are 429.00 then 299.00, this is at TD Garden in Boston. Then there's this

Screenshot 2023-02-23 6.08.29 AM.png

There are not a lot of tickets available, they are probably h0lding them back for resale.
Code is timeisfleeting

When I think of all those bands like Depeche, The Cure, and The Smiths it is very sad how it all ended for Morrissey. Somehow I guess it was inevitable he would end up a pariah and a caricature of his own making. He really could care less about what is left of his fan base. He walks out of concerts without a single word of apology after fans have spend a great deal of time and money to attend his concert. Maybe in his heart he detests his fans who knows. His only concern is a fight with a record company, a manager, someone eating a hamburger, or Johnny Marr. He does not really care about music as he could release the tracks in any number of ways by simply posting them on a cloud service and change a nominal download fee. 10 years ago Morrissey was a national treasure and one of the most respected artists of his generation. Now he is a like a clown trying to hock his records on Gmail and can't even get a dimwit like Miley Cyrus to play on a track without backing out. His official Morrissey-Central Web presence is a forum for his nephew to post links to Inforwars (Paul Watson) about diversity or some other hard right catch phrase that has nothing to do with music and much more to do with hard-right politics. Ted Cruz, Sean Hannity, and Morrissey on the same news channels on the same day complaining about Sam Smith pretty much says it all.

Ghosts Again remix CD single. Release date and tracks TBA.

Wagging Tongue written in response to Mark Lanegan's death.

They say it is the first co-write with Martin to make it onto an album. Wasn't You Move the first?

Oh Well was a b-side and Long Time Lie was a bonus track, so I guess we don't count those.

>>

The Gore-Butler co-writes are some of Depeche Mode’s strongest songs, and Gahan’s strongest performances, in years. The stately and lyrical Don’t Say You Love Me, for instance, is a singer’s showcase in the Scott Walker lineage...

“It’s so Scott Walker!” enthuses Gahan. “It was a weird coincidence because I’d been listening to a lot of Scott – songs like Sundown and A Woman Left Lonely, those torch-like melodies…”

Gahan himself, along with regular songwriting partners including touring DM members Christian Eigner and Peter Gordeno, contributes two songs, plus a co-write with Gore entitled Wagging Tongue – their first to make it onto a Depeche Mode album. Gahan attacks it as if he’s angry at someone, but who?

“I’m not sure,” says Gahan. “I am ranting at somebody. There was a part of it that came to me literally just after I got the news that Mark Lanegan had passed away. Rich [Machin of Soulsavers] rang me and said, ‘Lanegan’s gone, mate.’”

Gahan had got to know the ex-Screaming Trees singer through Soulsavers, for whom they both starred as guest vocalists – although the pair had admired each other’s work for years. The Depeche man was, he says, “surprised but not shocked” when Lanegan, who had survived multiple addictions and rolls of the lifestyle dice, gave up the ghost in February 2022.

“We saw him as some freak of nature…” Gahan shakes his head. “Look, what got him in the end, who knows, but he had a terrible bout of Covid, had a terrible fall. And he spent a good few couple of months in a hospital in Ireland. Anyway, there was a part of this song that came out of that.” Gahan pauses. “Storyteller – Mark was a great storyteller. Just with his voice. I didn’t even have to follow him lyrically sometimes. I knew through his tone where he was.”

Another of Gahan’s songs closes the album. Speak To Me flames out in an epic swirl of sound – both Gore and producer James Ford credit engineer Marta Salogni for the ethereal analogue tape treatments that grace this and other songs (“think Frippertronics,” they both say). The lyric finds its narrator in a lonely place, reaching out in desperation. Is it an addiction song?

“That’s definitely in there. Because it’s built into me now,” says Gahan. “The power of that feeling of disappearing with a drug. And the power of asking for help. But also, there’s a part in there where I was, in part, talking to Martin. I want to have something between us that we haven’t had up to this point. I don’t know what that is. And it’s kind of a bit terrifying. Because what if it doesn’t work?”

Back
Top Bottom