New Book of Essays on The Smiths (September 1st 2010)

punky

Why pamper life's complexities?
Essays on The Smiths
Edited by Sean Campbell, Colin Coulter

For five short years in the 1980s, a four-piece Manchester band released a collection of records that had undeniably profound effects on the landscape of popular music and beyond. Today, public and critical appreciation of The Smiths is at its height, yet the most important British band after The Beatles have rarely been subject to sustained academic scrutiny. Why pamper life’s complexities?: Essays on The Smiths seeks to remedy this by bringing together diverse research disciplines to place the band in a series of enlightening social, cultural and political contexts as never before.

Topics covered by the essays range from class, sexuality, Catholicism, Thatcherism, regional and national identities, to cinema, musical poetics, suicide and fandom. Lyrics, interviews, the city of Manchester, cultural iconography and the cult of Morrissey are all considered anew. The essays breach the standard confines of music history, rock biography and pop culture studies to give a sustained critical analysis of the band that is timely and illuminating.

This book will be of interest to scholars and students in the fields of sociology, literature, geography, cultural and media studies. It is also intended for a wider audience of those interested in the enduring appeal of one of the most complex and controversial bands. Accessible and original, these essays will help to contextualise the lasting cultural legacy of The Smiths.

Contents
1. Why Pamper Life’s Complexities? An Introduction to the Book. Sean Campbell & Colin Coulter
2. Has The World Changed Or Have I Changed? The Smiths and the Challenge of Thatcherism. Joe Brooker
3. ‘Irish Blood, English Heart’: Ambivalence, Unease and The Smiths. Sean Campbell
4. Heaven Knows We’ll Soon Be Dust: Catholicism and Devotion in The Smiths. Eoin Devereux
5. Sing Me to Sleep: Suicide, Philosophy, and The Smiths. Kieran Cashell
6. ‘A Boy in the Bush’: Childhood, Sexuality and The Smiths. Sheila Whiteley
7. ‘This Way and That Way’: Towards A Musical Poetics of The Smiths. Jonathan Hiam
8. I Don’t Owe You Anything: The Smiths and Kitchen-Sink Cinema. Cecilia Mello
9. ‘A Double Bed and a Stalwart Lover For Sure’: The Smiths, the Death of Pop and the Not So Hidden Injuries of Class. Colin Coulter
10. Last Night We Dreamt That Somebody Loved Us: Smiths Fans (and Me) in the Late 1980s. Karl Maton
11. ‘When we’re in your scholarly room’: the Media, Academia, and The Smiths. Fergus Campbell
12. ‘So Much To Answer For’: What Do The Smiths Mean to Manchester? Julian Stringer
13. ‘Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty’: Englishness, Pop and The Smiths. Kari Kallioniemi
14. Guantánamo, Here We Come: Out Of Place With The Smiths. Nabeel Zuberi

Sean Campbell is Senior Lecturer in Communication and Media at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge. Colin Coulter is Senior Lecturer in Sociology at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth.

234x156mm 256pp
hb 9780719078408 01 September 2010 £60.00
pb 9780719078415 01 September 2010 £15.99

HOW TO ORDER
To order this text, please select format and method:
hb Buy this book at the MUP/Blackwells bookshop Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com
pb Buy this book at the MUP/Blackwells bookshop Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

Nowt by Mick Middles? Oh well.

£60 for hardbound?!? Is it being marketed as a college text?

Also, is this a collection of essays presented at the Smiths Symposium?

Splendid. Mine already ordered. Is this all from the Manchester event or are there one or two from Limerick too?

The Dave Haslam one would have been funny to include.

P.

Doing the rounds

I won't pretend I am interested but someone might be.

Essays on The Smiths

"Full of insights, the collection rightly and passionately takes The Smiths as seriously even as Morrissey takes himself, but there's room for fanciful analysis too. There's more than enough here to convince even a sceptical reader of the band's unique cultural contribution."
Dave Haslam, critic, DJ, author of Manchester, England

"This excellent collection isn’t just for Smiths lovers. Crucially, the essays bring out the extraordinary allusive breadth of the music, from the touching yet symptomatic way in which fans engage with it, to Morrissey’s implicit philosophy of suicide. What’s more, the book convincingly shows how The Smiths critiqued class, race, sexuality and indeed the incipient neo-liberal conjuncture of the 1980s. An important book about an important band."
Jason Toynbee, The Open University

For five short years in the 1980s, a four-piece Manchester band released a collection of records that had undeniably profound effects on the landscape of popular music and beyond. Today, public and critical appreciation of The Smiths is at its height, yet the most important British band after The Beatles have rarely been subject to sustained academic scrutiny. Why pamper life’s complexities?: Essays on The Smiths seeks to remedy this by bringing together diverse research disciplines to place the band in a series of enlightening social, cultural and political contexts as never before.

Topics covered by the essays range from class, sexuality, Catholicism, Thatcherism, regional and national identities, to cinema, musical poetics, suicide and fandom. Lyrics, interviews, the city of Manchester, cultural iconography and the cult of Morrissey are all considered anew. The essays breach the standard confines of music history, rock biography and pop culture studies to give a sustained critical analysis of the band that is timely and illuminating.

This book will be of interest to scholars and students in the fields of sociology, literature, geography, cultural and media studies. It is also intended for a wider audience of those interested in the enduring appeal of one of the most complex and controversial bands. Accessible and original, these essays will help to contextualise the lasting cultural legacy of The Smiths.

Manchester University Press is pleased to announce the publication of this landmark title.

LAUNCH

To celebrate the publication of this exciting title we are holding a special launch event on Friday 26th of November at Waterstone's Deansgate, chaired by local DJ, author and musical luminary Dave Haslam with special guest Simon Goddard. Event will include

Drinks from 6.30 pm in Waterstone's newly refurbished bar
Panel event to commence from 7 pm
Readings from contributing authors
Panel discussion on the book, pop culture, and all things Smiths and Morrissey
Audience question and answer session
Opportunity to meet authors and have books signed
Post-panel drinks in Waterstone's bar with Smiths-inspired soundtrack
After party in TV21, basement bar, Thomas St
Entry to the event is priced at only £3 plus booking fee. Tickets available now from: http://www.wegottickets.com/event/97091

Panellists:

Simon Goddard, music journalist and author of The Smiths: Songs That Saved Your Life and Mozipedia: The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths
Sheila Whiteley, Chair of Popular Music at the University of Salford and contributing author
Sean Campbell, Co-Editor and Senior Lecturer in English and Media
Colin Coulter, Co-Editor and Senior Lecturer in Sociology
The book will be available to purchase on the night or can be ordered now via the links at the bottom of this page.

We look forward to seeing you all there!

Please contact Guy Taylor at Manchester University Press with any questions about this title or the event: [email protected]

Contents
1. Why Pamper Life’s Complexities? An Introduction to the Book. Sean Campbell & Colin Coulter
2. Has The World Changed Or Have I Changed? The Smiths and the Challenge of Thatcherism. Joe Brooker
3. ‘Irish Blood, English Heart’: Ambivalence, Unease and The Smiths. Sean Campbell
4. Heaven Knows We’ll Soon Be Dust: Catholicism and Devotion in The Smiths. Eoin Devereux
7. ‘This Way and That Way’: Towards A Musical Poetics of The Smiths. Jonathan Hiam
9. ‘A Double Bed and a Stalwart Lover For Sure’: The Smiths, the Death of Pop and the Not So Hidden Injuries of Class. Colin Coulter
10. Last Night We Dreamt That Somebody Loved Us: Smiths Fans (and Me) in the Late 1980s. Karl Maton
11. ‘When we’re in your scholarly room’: the Media, Academia, and The Smiths. Fergus Campbell
12. ‘So Much To Answer For’: What Do The Smiths Mean to Manchester? Julian Stringer
13. ‘Take Me Back to Dear Old Blighty’: Englishness, Pop and The Smiths. Kari Kallioniemi

Sean Campbell is Senior Lecturer in Communication and Media at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge. Colin Coulter is Senior Lecturer in Sociology at the National University of Ireland, Maynooth.

234x156mm 256pp
hb 9780719078408 01 September 2010 £65.00

HOW TO ORDER

Essays on The Smiths

Contents

234x156mm 256pp
hb 9780719078408 01 September 2010 £60.00

HOW TO ORDER

I don't mean to sound like a diva, but I posted this first did I not?
Why have I gone into last place?

Last edited:
I'll be at the launch, ticket already bought. Should be a hoot. Everyone involved in this endeavour should be congratulated. The Karl Maton chapter in particular is one I'm looking forward to reading.

P.

I don't mean to sound like a diva, but I posted this first did I not?
Why have gone into last place?

I'm sorry, the news had been reported in July, your thread has been merged.

It's better if you search the forum first before you post a new thread.

Thank you very much for your contributions.

When did you post? I know Punky's post has been here for some time, but your post contains extra information about the launch which many will find useful.

P.

About five minutes ago, there was nothing there then.
In the end it doesn't matter. I hope you have fun, at the Manchesterford event (is that the one your going to?).
They should do one in london as well.

About five minutes ago, there was nothing there then.
In the end it doesn't matter. I hope you have fun, at the Manchesterford event (is that the one your going to?).
They should do one in london as well.

Aye, I'll have a jolly time. Don't worry too much about the merge, althought it was the right thing to do. As I said, your post included more info about the launch. It's in the right place. Not sure about London - I think the Manchester one is the only launch. By the way, where did you get the info on the launch from?

P.

I'm sorry, the news had been reported in July, your thread has been merged.

It's better if you search the forum first before you post a new thread.

Thank you very much for your contributions.

I don't mind really, I don't really know how these sites work, I have only just learnt how to work my toaster.

I didn't think I really made a contribution, I just arrive here and there- I always tend to feel I am not very welcome.
Thank you though.

Aye, I'll have a jolly time. Don't worry too much about the merge, althought it was the right thing to do. As I said, your post included more info about the launch. It's in the right place. Not sure about London - I think the Manchester one is the only launch. By the way, where did you get the info on the launch from?

P.

I have my sources (HP manly) and I will never give them up......Oh, you have Digestive biscuits, in that case Dave Haslam tweeted it (is that the correct term?).

I have my sources (HP manly) and I will never give them up......Oh, you have Digestive biscuits, in that case Dave Haslam tweeted it (is that the correct term?).

I remember Dave Haslam's talk/lecture from the original event some years ago. It was very funny. Select quote "Celibacy? I could tell you who he was sleeping with!"

P.

see you there Peter, just got ticket now to get book I think book depository cheapest unless anyone nows better:thumb:

I remember Dave Haslam's talk/lecture from the original event some years ago. It was very funny. Select quote "Celibacy? I could tell you who he was sleeping with!"

P.

Thats it email me more of this gossip!!!!!
Also, has anyone got a copy of Bengali in platforms with those other lyrics?

You will have fun indeed, steal me a copy of the HB please

Thanks for the update, have been waiting for this essay collection to be published:)
Pity I can't go to the launch, enjoy & report back those who do go.

Back
Top Bottom