New book for 2009: Mozipedia by Simon Goddard

hmmmmmm

Thank you very much for the heads up.

Pity he didn't come up with a good title. :o

Also, Jo Brand's book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-You-Ig...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227303884&sr=1-3

Alice is a young girl growing up in a dysfunctional family in Herefordshire in the 1980s. Her mother is suffering a mental illness – she is on medication, is put away in an institution, but constantly escapes - while her father, Keith, very sweetly, tries to keep everything together. His in-laws, the Wildgooses, are a bunch of reckless, lawless country bumpkins and can offer very little help or sensible advice, preferring instead to remain in the pub or to use a shotgun to solve life's little problems. The only thing that gives meaning and hope to Alice as she makes her way through childhood, school and teenage trauma is her obsession with the singer Morrissey of The Smiths. She is desperate to see The Smiths at a live gig, but somehow her family always manages to derail her plans. Gradually her mother begins to share her fascination with the rock god and his presence in their lives goes someway to healing her and repairing her relationship with her long-suffering daughter.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Fantastic! Songs that saved your life is a great book. If this is anything like The Complete Bowie by Nic Pegg I'm salivating already!

Re: More You Ignore Me... by Jo Brand

Thanks, we've heard of Jo Brand's book more than a year ago.
Recently someone posted her interview.

Also, Jo Brand's book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-You-Ig...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1227303884&sr=1-3

... The only thing that gives meaning and hope to Alice as she makes her way through childhood, school and teenage trauma is her obsession with the singer Morrissey of The Smiths. She is desperate to see The Smiths at a live gig, but somehow her family always manages to derail her plans. Gradually her mother begins to share her fascination with the rock god and his presence in their lives goes someway to healing her and repairing her relationship with her long-suffering daughter.

Hmmm, sounds a bit too similar to Willy Russell's novel 'The Wrong Boy'. "Recyled papers" indeed....

Simon Goddard wrote a 'guide' to post-punk called 'Rip It Up and Start Again'. This title sounds as though it could be check-list on how to be a successful Morrissey fan.

Simon Goddard wrote a 'guide' to post-punk called 'Rip It Up and Start Again'. This title sounds as though it could be check-list on how to be a successful Morrissey fan.

er..... that was written by Simon Reynolds..... not Simon Goddard....

Jukebox Jury

Also, Jo Brand's book:

Alice is a young girl growing up in a dysfunctional family in Herefordshire in the 1980s. Her mother is suffering a mental illness – she is on medication, is put away in an institution, but constantly escapes - while her father, Keith, very sweetly, tries to keep everything together. His in-laws, the Wildgooses, are a bunch of reckless, lawless country bumpkins and can offer very little help or sensible advice, preferring instead to remain in the pub or to use a shotgun to solve life's little problems. The only thing that gives meaning and hope to Alice as she makes her way through childhood, school and teenage trauma is her obsession with the singer Morrissey of The Smiths. She is desperate to see The Smiths at a live gig, but somehow her family always manages to derail her plans. Gradually her mother begins to share her fascination with the rock god and his presence in their lives goes someway to healing her and repairing her relationship with her long-suffering daughter.

this sounds corny.

I liked the book just fine when it was entitled "The Wrong Boy."

Also, Jo Brand's book:

What's the point? is there anything about the smiths/morrissey we don't already know from the dozens of books, magazines and interviews that have aready been printed?

no s the answer.

OMG OMG I've always dreamt with a book like this. Actually, I should have Morrissey Shot first :p
But I NEED this one, being the ignorant I am :D
Really. I need it.

simon goddard has a great history in writing about the smiths so i am really looking forward to this one , i hope that its similar to his last
he did refer to stephane`s passions site for being helpful in his songs to save your life book..I wonder if he did this as well for the influences section in his upcoming book?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom