New "Best of" compilation listed on Amazon - Apr 27 2018 release?

UPDATE Feb. 11:

An anonymous person posted the link:

https://wmg.jp/artist/morrissey/WPCR000026316.html

Warner Music Japan release site

UPDATE 10:30 AM PT:

Posted by guru_mosh:

According to German retailer jpc.de this will be a reissue of the "Suedehead" best of compilation.

Morrissey: Suedehead - The Best Of Morrissey (SHM-CD)(reissue) - jpc

*** Japan-Import

Amazon sites indicate a new ? Best Of Morrissey compilation for April 27, 2018.

Anyone have any details?

Link / screenshot posted by Famous when dead:

https://www.amazon.com/Best-MORRISS...r_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&tag=msamzn-20

42179_best_of_amzn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is very little of worth on this list. And Frank Zappa was a bandleader, yes? So maybe there's hope for Mike Joyce yet.

Maybe you should go back and edit your post so it says "...of worth, as determined by me".

Zappa was originally the drummer in a band called The Blackouts.

Maybe you should go back and edit your post so it says "...of worth, as determined by me".

Zappa was originally the drummer in a band called The Blackouts.
They're so famous I've never heard of them. ;) My argument was that the rhythm section, except in cases where they pull double duty as vocalists, rarely ever achieve success in a solo capacity. Therefore, Mike and Andy's careers are the rule, not the exception.

there has been worse things that the ego has driven man to do. One last croak before the last big croak, what harm can it do?

not Paul's Wings... but ... WING !

or something more romantic... for that special moment with your spouse...

:thumb:

Oh, but Wing has such a pure heart! I have such a soft spot for her. I just want to hug her and make her a hot drink. What a lovely, if misguided woman.

I agree about aged artists. There are worse things. It all can go so ugly though. Like that ridiculous tiger striped throw rug, Elton John. Who would pay 700 a ticket to go see that?

Did the bands see logic or a challenge? I've never been sure of that. They're a fascinating act for sure, and the story is sad and weird. I was joking about Jesse of course. If you can play music that off time deliberately, that's a challenge in and of itself.

I do not get the question. I do not know if you ask about the bands that recorded "Better than the Beatles" (an album of covers)... or the musicians who worked with Dorothy Wiggin in the Dot Wiggin Band. I believe the first ones simply played a cover respecting the lyrics and doing something somehow random with the music. The second ones, the ones who worked with Dot Wiggin, understood that the Wiggin sisters were indeed musicians (amateur musicians, but musicians nonetheless)... that there was indeed a logic behind the songs... and that they were not quite easy to play them without rehearsing a lot, because the structure of the songs involved doing a lot of things which are "wrong" from the point of view of a conventional rock song, so it was a challenge (they also debunked some "myths", like the idea that The Shaggs was similar to a weird Free Jazz band, which was not the case).

Such thing reminded me a lot of what different producers said about working with Morrissey... that the tunes they received as demos were conventional rock songs and they could perfectly see the logic behind them and they were simply normal "verse-chorus-verse-chorus" songs... BUT then Morrissey would show up and would sing the chorus in the part that was OBVIOUSLY the verse for them and viceversa. Completely destroying the "normal" logic they had in mind.

Get Off the Stage, Journalists Who Lie, The Slum Mums, This is Not Your Country
Slum Mums oozes brilliance. I think it's resplandecente. One Of Moz's most Smithiesque pop gems. I can listen to it forever never to get tired of its triumphant catchinessy stump.

This Is Not Your Country on the worst of!!! But I just had a listen to the Slum Mums and I think you're right about your other three. I'd add Papa Jack and Sorrow Will Come In The End.

Ah Truth, Papa Jack? As I have written here many times Maladjusted is one of my favorite Morrissey records. Maybe you need to be able to put yourself in the same place as the character to feel the emotion of what he is trying to convey:

The dying day
The chilly sun
Papa Jack
All alone
Sings slow
Grieving and low

I would put these lyrics up against anything recently produced. Like many of my favorite songs of his they tend to paint a picture or more like a little movie that I can imagine and construct from the lyrics. Camden is another example of this, and my favorite track from YATQ. Please reconsider. There are so many other songs to chose from. Let's put this one back the shelf!

Thank you soo much whoever just turned me on to The Shaggs. This site is great for so many reasons.

They're so famous I've never heard of them. ;) My argument was that the rhythm section, except in cases where they pull double duty as vocalists, rarely ever achieve success in a solo capacity. Therefore, Mike and Andy's careers are the rule, not the exception.

True, but they do often go on to work with other successful bands as many of Mike and Andy's contemporaries did.

And bassists:

Paul McCartney - All the Best
John Entwistle - Anthology
Jack Bruce - At His Best
Bootsy Collins - Back in the Day, The Best of Bootsy
Sting - The Best of 25 Years
Fatboy Slim - The Fatboy Slim Collection
Bill Wyman - (Si Si) Je Suis Un Rockstar, the Very Best Of
Suzi Quatro - Legend: The Best Of
Brian Wilson - Playback
Roger Waters - Flickering Flame

Oh, but Wing has such a pure heart! I have such a soft spot for her. I just want to hug her and make her a hot drink. What a lovely, if misguided woman.

I agree about aged artists. There are worse things. It all can go so ugly though. Like that ridiculous tiger striped throw rug, Elton John. Who would pay 700 a ticket to go see that?

But Wing is a twat, and the Wingnuts are just a sacred cow for people with misplaced nostalgia for the hippy dippy era.

I just hope it features Southpaw and The Operation since those are some of his very very VERY best, Southpaw is possibly the greatest Morrissey song of all time.

Yes - I was thinking this the other day. Certainly in my top 3 songs of his. Shame Southpaw/WPINOYB isn't on Southpaw, really makes my playlist fill rather too incomplete.

Agreed 100%. I saw yesterday as well that Ozzy is doing a retirement tour part II after saying he was done. At a certain point, it has to be ego driven, because surely there can't be the financial incentive for many of these guys.

When they are on tour they are homesick, when they're at home they get bored after 5 seconds.

Okay. You can deny it all you want, but 8/10 of those Peter Hook basslines that people love so much change and fluctuate AKA "noodle" along the course of the song, there are flubbed notes, notes that didn't exist before. You can hear the lack of training in everything they did. Compare them to their contemporaries, and it's plain to hear. But I love JD, like I said.

They could play or how could they produce such brilliant music, better than 99.999% of other efforts, especially those by over-trained buffoons who are restricted by arbitrary rules? What you mean is they were largely self-taught and did not bow down to convention. Imagine how shit they would have been if they had...

They could play or how could they produce such brilliant music, better than 99.999% of other efforts, especially those by over-trained buffoons who are restricted by arbitrary rules? What you mean is they were largely self-taught and did not bow down to convention. Imagine how shit they would have been if they had...
I mean that there are abundant technical flaws and mistakes peppered throughout their music and it doesn't matter at all because the end result was memorable, impassioned, and holds up. It's ok. Plenty of great post punk bands were a bit shit at playing their instruments yet still great. Hell, I know some sloppy local bands that are still great despite their flaws, or maybe even because of.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom