New bands & Moz/Smiths Comparisons

I don't see the similarities at all either. I gave their album a listen a few times over and thought nothing much of it at all.

Another Sunny Day were a bit like The Smiths:

They sound equal The Smiths. I don't believe it's only a coincidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Northern Portrait. They were heavily lauded as being 'the second-coming of the Smiths' when they first starting releasing things. I'm not saying I agree with it 100%, but I will say that, similar to the Smiths, they've got something about them that is a cut above the rest, at the moment.

In a review of his new album with reformed band 'Bright Eyes', Conor Oberst is measured against Morrissey:

- Bright Eyes, “The People’s Key” (Saddle Creek) ★★★

Being a fan of Conor Oberst is like being a fan of Morrissey. When you were both young, he changed your life (“Hatful of Hollow”). Shortly after the solo career debuted, the shame slunk in (“Kill Uncle”), the proselytizing ceased, the relationship became closeted. Eventually, maybe in your 30s, the consistency and sharpness of his lyricism dawns on you (“You Are the Quarry”). You become aware of what a steady companion he’s been even as you put away childish things — and realize, with genuine surprise, that he didn’t turn out to be one of them.

Oberst fans are just about to reach that realization, guided in their first steps by this surprising, grandiose album, available today (Oberst’s 31st birthday). The mythologized singer-songwriter has returned to his trio, the vaunted Bright Eyes, after swearing them off and focusing on separate projects for a few years (a solo record, the Mystic Valley Band, the Monsters of Folk with M. Ward)... - http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/3860126-421/spin-control-reviews-of-recent-cd-releases.html

I thought that the Upper Room had some promise (sounds like they so desperately wanted to sound like the Smiths - the guitar player had definitely bought a Johnny Marr song book)

But then they signed to Sony, and 'the man' tried to turn them into a boy band - same track, different video, shite wardrobe

Still, great video for their only other single

Dave

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Northern Portrait. They were heavily lauded as being 'the second-coming of the Smiths' when they first starting releasing things. I'm not saying I agree with it 100%, but I will say that, similar to the Smiths, they've got something about them that is a cut above the rest, at the moment.

I would like to thank you, 'cause thanks to you I've now discovered a new band. : )

The new single Money by The Drums sounds a bit like songs from the Louder Than Bombs album--having a cheery, upbeat melody with life's a bitch lyrics. Listen HERE

These are some really great bands on this thread. Amazing!

I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with bands that immitate The Smiths.

I definitely hear a similarity between Moz and Cass McCombs, this song in particular the vocals have a definite Moz aspect to them

Back
Top Bottom