New bands & Moz/Smiths Comparisons

This sounds a lot like EARLY Moz...before he figured his hair out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found them out only few weeks ago and I love them now. They released only two singles (7'').

Last edited:
I've heard people compare The Hold Steadies to Bruce Springsteen, and now the band is also being praised for a Morrissey-worthy lyricism:

- IMAGINE a front man who looks like geeky actor Rick Moranis but with the infectious charisma of Freddie Mercury and lyrics that would make Morrissey proud.

Throw in some Bruce Springsteen power chords and riffs that would make the Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl green with envy and you have an unlikely combination.

But then Brooklyn rockers The Hold Steady are an unlikely band.

They didn't find success until well into their 30s and even five albums in singer Craig Finn still looks like an accountant.

That doesn't stop them from being one of the best American rock bands of the last decade and their impressive performance at the Academy on Saturday night once again proved that point...

- http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/cour...rock-band/article-3190503-detail/article.html

This sounds a lot like EARLY Moz...before he figured his hair out.

GG Allin is not much like Morrissey except in his complete immersion in his action, but he was apparently quite influential on other successful musicians and still, years after his premature death, has a cult following - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Allin . I feel that Oscar Wilde would have found him fascinating!

That's not bad at all..Any idea where to get their 7 Inches from?

Well, I'm in Brazil then it's hardest to get. Besides, Amazon is only selling digital copies from their tracks. I believe if you want to buy something you need to get in touch with them. I have James McGovern on my Facebook. I'll try to buy copies for me.... Although I don't own a turntable yet.

the drums are great! jonathan the lead singer has got something about him.

seen them live a fair few times, excellent and the songs are very fun, they know how to create a good pop song.
:) plus they used the smiths as inspiration for their name too.

Me too. I might end up buying the drums instead of the cribs. I only have one itunes giftcard and I can't decide which to get.

please get the drums first album, it is wonderful.
songs you cant help but dance too, and the lyrics stay in your head for days

I think The Drums are OK, they make interesting sound... but I can't hear any significant similarity between them and The Smiths/Morrissey o.o

I don't see the similarities at all either. I gave their album a listen a few times over and thought nothing much of it at all.

Another Sunny Day were a bit like The Smiths:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom