New album 'Low in High-School' (Nov. 17, 2017) on Etienne Records / BMG; Hollywood Bowl (Nov. 10)

Morrissey announces new album Low in High-School - Manchester Evening News
by Simon Binns.

Morrissey is set to release his first new album since 2014.

Low in High-School will be released on November 17 on CD, coloured vinyl and limited edition cassette, as well as digital formats.

It will be the former Smiths' frontman's first album for BMG, which is also partnering with Morrissey on the launch of his new label, Etienne Records.

Low in High-School was recorded at La Fabrique Studios in France and in Rome at Ennio Morricone’s Forum Studios. The record is produced by Joe Chiccarelli, who has worked with Frank Zappa, The Strokes, Beck and The White Stripes.

Low in High-School captures 'the zeitgeist of an ever-changing world.'

Korda Marshall (EVP of BMG) said of the signing: “There are not many artists around today that can compare to Morrissey. He is an extraordinary talent. He is prodigious, literate, witty, elegant and above all, courageous. His lyrics, humour and melodies have influenced many generations. The music on this new landmark record will speak for itself and we are delighted to welcome him to BMG.”

There are likely to be tour dates to promote the record - but for now, there is only one live show booked, at the Hollywood Bowl in LA on November 10.

As a solo artist, all ten of his albums have reached the Top 10 on the UK charts, including three entries at number one.

Following his debut solo album Viva Hate back in 1988, he has since released a number of critically acclaimed follow-ups including Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal, and hugely successful comeback album You Are the Quarry after a five year hiatus in 2004.

Not quite a surprise 'drop' was it?
Perhaps some decent marketing in the build up - we can but hope.
Good news for a change!

Similar stories:

Morrissey Announces New Album 'Low In High-School' - Clash
Morrissey announces new album 'Low In High-School' - Irish Examiner
Morrissey announces new album 'Low in High-School' and US date - Newsdesk / Music-News.com
Released on BMG, the album will be preceded by US performances."
Morrissey Announces New Album Low in High School - Pitchfork
Morrissey announces new album ‘Low In High-School’ – and a huge gig - NME
Post-Punk run with the BMG office picture online:
Morrissey announces new album ‘Low In High-School’ to be released this November

Regards,
FWD.

Also:
Morrissey to release new album, Low in High-School - Uncut. Link posted by Bluebirds.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad post.

There are plenty of High Schools in the UK.
I have just given you a 'troll' rating for your weak reply. Because you are the Troll, not me. When you want to have a robust debate about Morrissey's ridiculous new album title and the ludicrous songs with shoddy instrumentation and risible lyrics which are likely to be contained within it, then you may address me again. Until then: be gone! You can take your off-topic trolling elsewhere.

The same goes for anybody else hiding behind 'troll' ratings who are too afraid to come out here and say it to my face. And anyone else replying after getting triggered by uncomfortable truths: unless it's a substantive debate about Morrissey's - most probably - disastrous new album, or about other points I raised in my first post, then I don't want to hear it.

When Zayn was singing "What Makes You Beautiful" back in 2011, did that resonate for those dealing with the massacre in Norway, do you think? Did Taylor Swift speak out about Utøya? Let's hear a single off of Low in High-School, at least, before the verbal avalanches. Age is irrelevant when it comes to music, message, and what songs can save your life.

Low in High School' - shameless attempt by 58 year old man to appeal to youthful music enthusiasts who might be becoming aware of his back catalogue for the first time. Got to broaden the listener base and keep those cash registers ringing, it seems. But as we saw with his last contrived attempt to reach out to young listeners and show them that even though he has £30 million in the bank he still understands their problems - Staircase at the University, that was - he just doesn't have it in him anymore.

To be fair, he never did, but he was in close enough proximity to those people he was trying to reach - living among them or near enough for much of the 80s - and hadn't cut himself off entirely from his roots that his observations managed to give off a certain air of authenticity, and made his listeners believe that he was living what he was writing.

And yet he almost always took his social cues from old Hollywood movies and his lyrics straight from the first page of modernist novels he never read, without credit - plagiarism as it's known - but back then there was something quaint and endearing about a 25 year old in a tweed jacket who appeared to have wisdom beyond his years, and made pop music rather than appearing on University Challenge. He never did have that wisdom, it was all a pose, but young adults love a talented, enigmatic, seemingly tortured figure and will flock to someone in their age group who has charisma and appears to 'know so much more than they're willing to say'.

Time reveals all however and he has chipped away at that image over the years as has the bright light/dentist's chair's inescapable analysis from the internet which has left him looked upon by many young people (those aware of his existence at least) like an old Confederate statue that they wish to topple. They laugh at him for still clinging on to the belief that he holds some kind of outsider's status.

He might think he can appeal to them with 'All the Young People' and a re-worked version of The Bullfighter Dies in concert with Matt Walker on keyboards and Boz on drums, but once they get wind of his Le Pen/Farage/Utoya/Manchester Arena comments they would be more likely to picket his American concerts and drown him out with chants of 'no fascists, no KKK, no Morr-iss-ay' than to stand around respectfully listening to the gong, trumpet, and Spanish guitar interludes of his backing band, along with Tobias strangling his guitar and wrenching the neck in vain to try to give the sound anything resembling a Ramones or Mick Ronson tone or edge.

Ironically, his paying audience might be grateful for the interruption from the Antifa gatecrashers as their banal chanting could prove to be more tuneful and melodically interesting than the batch of songs featured on 'Low in High-School'.

And no amount of times retelling that anecdote of the day he spotted James Baldwin sitting in a hotel lobby in 1986 will change the minds of all the young people towards him who Morrissey doesn't know anything about anymore anyhow. They live where he wouldn't dare to drive. And if he did dare to drive they would keep him trapped inside the car for two hours while shaking it from side to side like what happened to Joan Burton.

Anyway, observing young people from his car window while blasting out Public Enemy doesn't count as keeping up with youth culture. Nor does SER telling him about his and his young friends' wild nights out in London and L.A. An album revolving around his observations of the ageing process and sentimentality felt for his early-mid 20s while revisiting themes which preoccupied him then and how he interprets it now may have been much more fascinating to hear, if done right, than lyrics attempting to tell young people about their own experiences when they know much better about that themselves.

And if they want to hear their lives reflected in the lyrics of a pop star they have Taylor Swift and Zayn Malik for that. Not a 58 year old man with Peter Pan syndrome.

Oh, and oi! Morrissey! You know your song 'All the Young People'? It is a song dedicated to *all* the young people isn't it? So will you acknowledge the kids in Utoya in that song? It would be remiss of you to leave them out, wouldn't it, and yet you were so dismissive of their deaths before. Some of them might have even enjoyed your music, you know. I think you showcased the extent and depth of your knowledge of 'all the young people' on that fateful night of July 24th 2011, the compassion you feel toward them was on full display that night alongside the unbreakable bond you probably think you still share.

No mea culpa is required in song from you now, six years has been long enough to wait for it, you've already told us everything that you need to say regarding the matter. More than you know. All the lyrics you have on your new album regarding 'the young people' will be viewed through that prism.

P.S. 'High School', by the way? You realise we call it secondary school over here? Why didn't you call it 'Secondary in Secondary School' instead? You've well and truly lost touch with your roots now haven't you, you've gone full-Bono and Elton John, you Americanised bloviating cad.

Here's a song for a man still hooked to the Marc Bolan silver screen teen dream, even while everything around him changes and ages and withers and fades away. The 'pop moment' won't keep you warm in the September of your years though, will it Morrissey?

Very informative :thumb: great post.:cool:

#we:heartssuit:Rome/BaroneRAffaele

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

fantastic news for Moz and the boys, some people on here really should grow up, every time we have good news the snipers are out in force, I for one look forward to catching at least one of the concerts and I'm sure a lot of other people will be too.. keep going Moz, best regards, manc lad

The title sounds a bit out of touch with reality. He is closer to the retirement years. I guess he is trying to appeal to the kids. After all, the majority of music consumers are teenagers. Nevertheless, I am very happy with the news and hopefully the album outshines World Peace.

i work in a primary school,what about LOW IN PRIMARY SCHOOL.

Well, this promises to be embarrassingly bad - again. For everybody's sake, let's hope BMG drop him before the date of release and that this nonsense never sees the light of day.

Well, this promises to be embarrassingly bad - again. For everybody's sake, let's hope BMG drop him before the date of release and that this nonsense never sees the light of day.

f*** BMG !
We know it's gonna happen some day soon :popcorn: :laughing::ahhh::rofl:

All aboard people it's gonna be such fun, this really could be our last chance at laughing our bollocks off at old fatty the Manc leg end performer.

Low in High School' - shameless attempt by 58 year old man to appeal to youthful music enthusiasts who might be becoming aware of his back catalogue for the first time. Got to broaden the listener base and keep those cash registers ringing, it seems. But as we saw with his last contrived attempt to reach out to young listeners and show them that even though he has £30 million in the bank he still understands their problems - Staircase at the University, that was - he just doesn't have it in him anymore.

To be fair, he never did, but he was in close enough proximity to those people he was trying to reach - living among them or near enough for much of the 80s - and hadn't cut himself off entirely from his roots that his observations managed to give off a certain air of authenticity, and made his listeners believe that he was living what he was writing.

And yet he almost always took his social cues from old Hollywood movies and his lyrics straight from the first page of modernist novels he never read, without credit - plagiarism as it's known - but back then there was something quaint and endearing about a 25 year old in a tweed jacket who appeared to have wisdom beyond his years, and made pop music rather than appearing on University Challenge. He never did have that wisdom, it was all a pose, but young adults love a talented, enigmatic, seemingly tortured figure and will flock to someone in their age group who has charisma and appears to 'know so much more than they're willing to say'.

Time reveals all however and he has chipped away at that image over the years as has the bright light/dentist's chair's inescapable analysis from the internet which has left him looked upon by many young people (those aware of his existence at least) like an old Confederate statue that they wish to topple. They laugh at him for still clinging on to the belief that he holds some kind of outsider's status.

He might think he can appeal to them with 'All the Young People' and a re-worked version of The Bullfighter Dies in concert with Matt Walker on keyboards and Boz on drums, but once they get wind of his Le Pen/Farage/Utoya/Manchester Arena comments they would be more likely to picket his American concerts and drown him out with chants of 'no fascists, no KKK, no Morr-iss-ay' than to stand around respectfully listening to the gong, trumpet, and Spanish guitar interludes of his backing band, along with Tobias strangling his guitar and wrenching the neck in vain to try to give the sound anything resembling a Ramones or Mick Ronson tone or edge.

Ironically, his paying audience might be grateful for the interruption from the Antifa gatecrashers as their banal chanting could prove to be more tuneful and melodically interesting than the batch of songs featured on 'Low in High-School'.

And no amount of times retelling that anecdote of the day he spotted James Baldwin sitting in a hotel lobby in 1986 will change the minds of all the young people towards him who Morrissey doesn't know anything about anymore anyhow. They live where he wouldn't dare to drive. And if he did dare to drive they would keep him trapped inside the car for two hours while shaking it from side to side like what happened to Joan Burton.

Anyway, observing young people from his car window while blasting out Public Enemy doesn't count as keeping up with youth culture. Nor does SER telling him about his and his young friends' wild nights out in London and L.A. An album revolving around his observations of the ageing process and sentimentality felt for his early-mid 20s while revisiting themes which preoccupied him then and how he interprets it now may have been much more fascinating to hear, if done right, than lyrics attempting to tell young people about their own experiences when they know much better about that themselves.

And if they want to hear their lives reflected in the lyrics of a pop star they have Taylor Swift and Zayn Malik for that. Not a 58 year old man with Peter Pan syndrome.

Oh, and oi! Morrissey! You know your song 'All the Young People'? It is a song dedicated to *all* the young people isn't it? So will you acknowledge the kids in Utoya in that song? It would be remiss of you to leave them out, wouldn't it, and yet you were so dismissive of their deaths before. Some of them might have even enjoyed your music, you know. I think you showcased the extent and depth of your knowledge of 'all the young people' on that fateful night of July 24th 2011, the compassion you feel toward them was on full display that night alongside the unbreakable bond you probably think you still share.

No mea culpa is required in song from you now, six years has been long enough to wait for it, you've already told us everything that you need to say regarding the matter. More than you know. All the lyrics you have on your new album regarding 'the young people' will be viewed through that prism.

P.S. 'High School', by the way? You realise we call it secondary school over here? Why didn't you call it 'Secondary in Secondary School' instead? You've well and truly lost touch with your roots now haven't you, you've gone full-Bono and Elton John, you Americanised bloviating cad.

Here's a song for a man still hooked to the Marc Bolan silver screen teen dream, even while everything around him changes and ages and withers and fades away. The 'pop moment' won't keep you warm in the September of your years though, will it Morrissey?

Would you prefer 'Low in the Old Folk's Home'?

I prefer that the shoddy endeavor run its course. Cheap video released a week before the album. People watch so as to have a belly laugh. Moz starts simmering. One shot of vodka, maybe two. Couple of poetic readings of the lyrics by high school students, a tie in with the album title. More snickering. Third shot.
Album released, hits no 12. Fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh shots in rapid succession... in between email missives to the nephew, the record company......... eight shot.. call Tshirt company XXXXL tshirts for the band.

In the style of Dick Gregory

" Let me tell you something Mo-4ckr ! It was the 4kin James Bond and his people that bombed Steve's new 4ckin album ! You hear me ? HUGH ! 4KIN HUGH ! Are you 4ckin listening to me ?
The 4ckin Queen of London told 007 to take Stevey and his album and throw them in the 4ckin river Tyne!
You hear what I'm talking about Mother4ckr ? ? ? HUGH ! HUGH !
Dats what I'm 4ckin talkin bout ! I know shit cause Stevey 4ckin told me himself ! HUGH ! HUGH ! 4CKIN HUGHHHHHH ! That's why Steve had to cancel all his shit ! HUGH !
Steve came to me and he say Dick ! Them mother4kin boyles go'n kill me. You gotta help me Dick you're my last 4ckin hope man !
He should have been as big a star as Michael 4ckin Jackson and Elvis 4ckin Presley put to 4ckingether man !
Are you 4ckin listening ? Don't 4cking ask me shit ! Are you 4ckin listening ? HUGH ! HUGH ! "

It's gonna be great anon :thumb: enjoy. We know the score :D

Well, what can I say Benny?
Michael 4ckin Jackson and Elvis 4ckin Presley are 4ckin dead.
As David 4ckin Bowie, and George 4ckin Michael, 4ckin dead too.
Steven 4ckin Morrissey is 4ckin alive and kicking and will release a completely 4ckin brilliant new album. :D
Congrats to you toooo! :p

In the style of Dick Gregory

" Let me tell you something Mo-4ckr ! It was the 4kin James Bond and his people that bombed Steve's new 4ckin album ! You hear me ? HUGH ! 4KIN HUGH ! Are you 4ckin listening to me ?
The 4ckin Queen of London told 007 to take Stevey and his album and throw them in the 4ckin river Tyne!
You hear what I'm talking about Mother4ckr ? ? ? HUGH ! HUGH !
Dats what I'm 4ckin talkin bout ! I know shit cause Stevey 4ckin told me himself ! HUGH ! HUGH ! 4CKIN HUGHHHHHH ! That's why Steve had to cancel all his shit ! HUGH !
Steve came to me and he say Dick ! Them mother4kin boyles go'n kill me. You gotta help me Dick you're my last 4ckin hope man !
He should have been as big a star as Michael 4ckin Jackson and Elvis 4ckin Presley put to 4ckingether man !
Are you 4ckin listening ? Don't 4cking ask me shit ! Are you 4ckin listening ? HUGH ! HUGH ! "

It's gonna be great anon :thumb: enjoy. We know the score :D

Benny if you insist on taking a verbal dump on every topic on this 'fan' site can you make it a quick one instead of this longwinded diarrhoea dribbling from your abused arse all day long? I'd say you have a favourite sock for wiping yourself. Could you use it as a butt-plug instead?

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom