New album 'Low in High-School' (Nov. 17, 2017) on Etienne Records / BMG; Hollywood Bowl (Nov. 10)

Morrissey announces new album Low in High-School - Manchester Evening News
by Simon Binns.

Morrissey is set to release his first new album since 2014.

Low in High-School will be released on November 17 on CD, coloured vinyl and limited edition cassette, as well as digital formats.

It will be the former Smiths' frontman's first album for BMG, which is also partnering with Morrissey on the launch of his new label, Etienne Records.

Low in High-School was recorded at La Fabrique Studios in France and in Rome at Ennio Morricone’s Forum Studios. The record is produced by Joe Chiccarelli, who has worked with Frank Zappa, The Strokes, Beck and The White Stripes.

Low in High-School captures 'the zeitgeist of an ever-changing world.'

Korda Marshall (EVP of BMG) said of the signing: “There are not many artists around today that can compare to Morrissey. He is an extraordinary talent. He is prodigious, literate, witty, elegant and above all, courageous. His lyrics, humour and melodies have influenced many generations. The music on this new landmark record will speak for itself and we are delighted to welcome him to BMG.”

There are likely to be tour dates to promote the record - but for now, there is only one live show booked, at the Hollywood Bowl in LA on November 10.

As a solo artist, all ten of his albums have reached the Top 10 on the UK charts, including three entries at number one.

Following his debut solo album Viva Hate back in 1988, he has since released a number of critically acclaimed follow-ups including Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal, and hugely successful comeback album You Are the Quarry after a five year hiatus in 2004.

Not quite a surprise 'drop' was it?
Perhaps some decent marketing in the build up - we can but hope.
Good news for a change!

Similar stories:

Morrissey Announces New Album 'Low In High-School' - Clash
Morrissey announces new album 'Low In High-School' - Irish Examiner
Morrissey announces new album 'Low in High-School' and US date - Newsdesk / Music-News.com
Released on BMG, the album will be preceded by US performances."
Morrissey Announces New Album Low in High School - Pitchfork
Morrissey announces new album ‘Low In High-School’ – and a huge gig - NME
Post-Punk run with the BMG office picture online:
Morrissey announces new album ‘Low In High-School’ to be released this November

Regards,
FWD.

Also:
Morrissey to release new album, Low in High-School - Uncut. Link posted by Bluebirds.

Related items:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Low in High-School"

Belligerent ghouls run California schools.

17/11/17 put it in the diary under the heading Shit or Bust for Steve.

Will he be able to pull it off one last time ? It's a big ask given that it looks like he's been stubborn enough to continue with the most recent dreadful lawnmower line up.

Whatever happens it's going to be very entertaining just observing his P R stunt attempts to get himself some media attention. It's already started with that nut job celebrity death statement for a guy who thought Whacko Jacko was killed with a laser:rofl:. It must have been comedy gold to listen in on the conversation between Steve and that nutter.
Also looking forward to the Bots getting all giddy and making fools of themselves, nobody does it better than them lot, we couldn't do all this without them :clap:.

Lastly I'd like to doff my cap :tiphat: to BrummieBoy and say "It's on" :ahhh:Squeaky bum time !
The clock is now ticking for Steve's last chance showbiz showdown, reckon it's gonna be epic times all round. There's no one quite like Steven, I'm sure you will agree ( could be a song in that last line :rolleyes: ).

Get ready for the ride people ! The louder you scream the faster we go ! Whoooo ! Whoooooo !

#we:heartssuit:Rome/BaroneRAffaele

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:
It's always the last chance though.

Cheers for all the praise folks; I go by @theironbridge on instagram. I went with the football jersey typeface because it's the (hockey) jocks that make you feel low in high school. Also a similar typeface is found on "James Dean is not Dead". I saw the source image on an inner sleeve of the bona drag reissue.
You've hit the prime time now :)
From the people that brought you The Smiths in Newcastle fake album cover comes....um... Did they just lift your text and add the Morrissey bit?

Regards,
FWD

Love the new title, it's very Morrissey...

Hate that fake cover art mock up though.
Hope the real one will be better, something more like the tour poster which is great!

Snip Benny's sad, desperate, lonely cry for help...

Many of us are excited and are looking forward to a new album from Moz. Odds are good we will enjoy it. Odds are also good that you will still be here when it drops with your tired schtick while seeking attention. Hmmm, it's almost like nothing you say as any effect here. Imagine that. You are impotent. Shocking.

Last edited:
It could be more of a 'nodding off'. I think the album title is too US centric but I could be grabbing the wrong end of the fizzlestick.
I love the title. Part two of Southpaw Grammar :)

ps: we call it high school here too.

Who the 4ck do you think you are Mother 4ckr ?
Did I ask you to get involved in this shit ? HUGH ! HUGH !
How dare you speak to me like this you stupid 4ckin dip shit.
You don't know what yer 4kin talkin bout mother 4ckr ! HUGH ! HUGH !
How 4ckin dare you, you stupid mother 4ckr !
Stop wasting my precious and go 4ck yourself :handpointup:.
HUGH ! HUGH ! HUGH !
Kiss my ass mother 4ckr :angry:

"HUGH! HUGH!"

hahaha, this post actually made me burst into a paroxysm of giggles. i may not agree with where he directs it but i do love benny's sense of humour :lbf:

Low in High School' - shameless attempt by 58 year old man to appeal to youthful music enthusiasts who might be becoming aware of his back catalogue for the first time. Got to broaden the listener base and keep those cash registers ringing, it seems. But as we saw with his last contrived attempt to reach out to young listeners and show them that even though he has £30 million in the bank he still understands their problems - Staircase at the University, that was - he just doesn't have it in him anymore.

To be fair, he never did, but he was in close enough proximity to those people he was trying to reach - living among them or near enough for much of the 80s - and hadn't cut himself off entirely from his roots that his observations managed to give off a certain air of authenticity, and made his listeners believe that he was living what he was writing.

And yet he almost always took his social cues from old Hollywood movies and his lyrics straight from the first page of modernist novels he never read, without credit - plagiarism as it's known - but back then there was something quaint and endearing about a 25 year old in a tweed jacket who appeared to have wisdom beyond his years, and made pop music rather than appearing on University Challenge. He never did have that wisdom, it was all a pose, but young adults love a talented, enigmatic, seemingly tortured figure and will flock to someone in their age group who has charisma and appears to 'know so much more than they're willing to say'.

Time reveals all however and he has chipped away at that image over the years as has the bright light/dentist's chair's inescapable analysis from the internet which has left him looked upon by many young people (those aware of his existence at least) like an old Confederate statue that they wish to topple. They laugh at him for still clinging on to the belief that he holds some kind of outsider's status.

He might think he can appeal to them with 'All the Young People' and a re-worked version of The Bullfighter Dies in concert with Matt Walker on keyboards and Boz on drums, but once they get wind of his Le Pen/Farage/Utoya/Manchester Arena comments they would be more likely to picket his American concerts and drown him out with chants of 'no fascists, no KKK, no Morr-iss-ay' than to stand around respectfully listening to the gong, trumpet, and Spanish guitar interludes of his backing band, along with Tobias strangling his guitar and wrenching the neck in vain to try to give the sound anything resembling a Ramones or Mick Ronson tone or edge.

Ironically, his paying audience might be grateful for the interruption from the Antifa gatecrashers as their banal chanting could prove to be more tuneful and melodically interesting than the batch of songs featured on 'Low in High-School'.

And no amount of times retelling that anecdote of the day he spotted James Baldwin sitting in a hotel lobby in 1986 will change the minds of all the young people towards him who Morrissey doesn't know anything about anymore anyhow. They live where he wouldn't dare to drive. And if he did dare to drive they would keep him trapped inside the car for two hours while shaking it from side to side like what happened to Joan Burton.

Anyway, observing young people from his car window while blasting out Public Enemy doesn't count as keeping up with youth culture. Nor does SER telling him about his and his young friends' wild nights out in London and L.A. An album revolving around his observations of the ageing process and sentimentality felt for his early-mid 20s while revisiting themes which preoccupied him then and how he interprets it now may have been much more fascinating to hear, if done right, than lyrics attempting to tell young people about their own experiences when they know much better about that themselves.

And if they want to hear their lives reflected in the lyrics of a pop star they have Taylor Swift and Zayn Malik for that. Not a 58 year old man with Peter Pan syndrome.

Oh, and oi! Morrissey! You know your song 'All the Young People'? It is a song dedicated to *all* the young people isn't it? So will you acknowledge the kids in Utoya in that song? It would be remiss of you to leave them out, wouldn't it, and yet you were so dismissive of their deaths before. Some of them might have even enjoyed your music, you know. I think you showcased the extent and depth of your knowledge of 'all the young people' on that fateful night of July 24th 2011, the compassion you feel toward them was on full display that night alongside the unbreakable bond you probably think you still share.

No mea culpa is required in song from you now, six years has been long enough to wait for it, you've already told us everything that you need to say regarding the matter. More than you know. All the lyrics you have on your new album regarding 'the young people' will be viewed through that prism.

P.S. 'High School', by the way? You realise we call it secondary school over here? Why didn't you call it 'Secondary in Secondary School' instead? You've well and truly lost touch with your roots now haven't you, you've gone full-Bono and Elton John, you Americanised bloviating cad.

Here's a song for a man still hooked to the Marc Bolan silver screen teen dream, even while everything around him changes and ages and withers and fades away. The 'pop moment' won't keep you warm in the September of your years though, will it Morrissey?

His new album is the soundtrack to the film based on 'List Of The Lost'. All of the songs on Low High-Skool are written from the perspectives of the characters in his amazing first critically-acclaimed best-selling novel. The film is in production now as Morrissey's riposte to 'England Is Mine'......

BB

This is Moz.
He can do with words and language what he wants and he does.
Only him.

Indeed. Anyone who's read 'List Of The Lost' will testify to that!

Here's the first video for the first single from 'Low In High-Skool' called 'List Of El Plotto Losto' which features a shy Dorrissey being gang-banged by all the tough Mexican bitches in a gang called The Plastics at his Mancunian junior high-school prom in 1976..

Excellent news! Thanks for the post. I've had people at work come up to me in the last few minutes saying "I hear there's a new Moz album coming out", and they are not even fans! Looking forward to hearing more about the track listing etc. Not sure if I like the title but it may grow on me like World Peace did. Great to have this to look forward to. Hopefully a Moz concert in Ireland too!

Where do you work? A mental asylum? Were those people not asking you to give them their medication? Get on with your job...

.the video for the second single is a remake of the climactic scenes of 'Carrie' when St Etienne uses his Ouija Board to unleash some mad shit on those who mocked his claims to be a hipster rather than a tiresome dweeb...

17/11/17 put it in the diary under the heading Shit or Bust for Steve.

Will he be able to pull it off one last time ? It's a big ask given that it looks like he's been stubborn enough to continue with the most recent dreadful lawnmower line up.

Whatever happens it's going to be very entertaining just observing his P R stunt attempts to get himself some media attention. It's already started with that nut job celebrity death statement for a guy who thought Whacko Jacko was killed with a laser:rofl:. It must have been comedy gold to listen in on the conversation between Steve and that nutter.
Also looking forward to the Bots getting all giddy and making fools of themselves, nobody does it better than them lot, we couldn't do all this without them :clap:.

Lastly I'd like to doff my cap :tiphat: to BrummieBoy and say "It's on" :ahhh:Squeaky bum time !
The clock is now ticking for Steve's last chance showbiz showdown, reckon it's gonna be epic times all round. There's no one quite like Steven, I'm sure you will agree ( could be a song in that last line :rolleyes: ).

Get ready for the ride people ! The louder you scream the faster we go ! Whoooo ! Whoooooo !

Whilst open to the unlikely possibility that this new LP might be 'good', we have to go on recent form and tentatively, pre-emptively assume it's a crock of shit. A high-school prom album by a Mancunian humasexual who, at the grand old age of 57 still wishes he'd been called Etienne not Steven....jesus....bad start..

"Steven! Stop trying to make Etienne happen, it's not going to happen!"

Korda Marshall is the man who signed The Wedding Present to RCA/BMG, which will forever endear him to me. (Oh, and he discovered Muse and Alt-J.)

Morrissey was on BMG before, albeit on the RCA label, for "Southpaw Grammar". I think Marshall had left RCA by that time, one of the reasons TWP were dropped, incidentally, because the new manager(s) didn't like them as much.

Totally agree.
HTTPS9tZWRpYS50ZW5vci5jby9pbWFnZXMvZTlhMTRiZjU1ZTI1OGNlMDZiNjFiMGJhNmMxNDdhNDkvdGVub3IuZ2lm.gif
A fine looking man in his day. He had it all: the handsome face, great hair, warm eyes, and an engaging personality. No wonder he managed to pull an alien babe on so many episodes.
I feel I can say all that without in any way reflecting on my orientation one way or the other. That is one thing that outsiders don't get about Moz fans.

My theory on the title:

This site (not so affectionately referred to by the man as 'So-Low') has been bothering Moz since about 2004 at the release of Quarry, when the relationship soured.

2017, the current year, is 13 years from then, the age of a high schooler.

Low = solo 'so-Low'

The sly hyphen everyone's up in arms about: morrissey-solo; high-school.

That is to say, it has been around 13 years since 2004, since the comeback and since the backlash. 'Ringleader of the Tormentors' related to Moz's standing as the ringleader of those who write unflattering things on the internet.

I'm probably wrong but that's what I think it all means.

The title puns on the low-high opposition and might also play on the association of "high" with drugs. Instead of being "high" (on drugs) in high school like some people, he was "low," depressed, bullied, bothered by teachers, etc. "I never even knew what drugs were."

"I had no education and went to two horrific schools, and that really knocks you on the head for the rest of your life because your introduction to the world is mainly an understanding of how violent and unpleasant people are. I didn’t experience one school day where I felt safe, and this scars you forever.”

Yea!!!:rock: How did I miss THIS for a whole day?!?! The one time I don't check the site ...lol.

Title sounds cool. Different. Didn't know he had hos own lable...although the name rings a beel. Ahh memory youre so fuzzy

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom