National Review: Music for the Masses: The Debut of Pop Fascism by Armond White (Aug. 20, 2021)

The article is basically a back hander at Springsteen, Smith etc., and the rest of the NYC Homecoming event contributors on Sunday. Morrissey provides a convenient route for a right wing libertarian ramble. The article loads too much relevance on his whimsical joke, made at a time when the world knew very little about what was to come. His motivation for the gag would have been as much to place a context on a half empty venue, or to highlight the role of the global meat industry via the wet markets, than anything else. Retro fitting current context doesn’t wash with me.

Morrissey certainly finds himself with some strange bedfellows these days. Flat-Earther’s of the World Unite.

Your reminder that this is not an unbiased outlet, so they would say that, wouldn't they?

But you also agree with them. Nothing's that easy any more.

I wouldn't touch the publication with a barge pole, but I think Armond's love of Morrissey makes sense - they both struggle in a world not created for the socially awkward.

20210821_124923.jpg

Also... re reputation...

20210821_125545.jpg

That was a baffling and poorly written article. Made virtually zero sense.

I can appreciate the paragraph about the presumptions of Morrissey being a fascist despite his very much anti-right wing lyrics. Rest seems pointless drivel.

It's a pro fascists view defending morrisseys political right wing view. It's cleverly written by a right wing journal essentially saying Morrissey is right for promoting not wearing masks, or your being manipulated by the left media. I can't believe it's put here as for our approval. That's why I don't promote this racist anymore.
“Anti-fascism” is now complying with every single mandate of government unquestioningly. So dumb.

What utter bosh! Morrissey said 'You are the quarantined' as the very same article states. ..

'That “You Are the Vaccinated” joke parallels with You Are the Quarry as a warning against totalitarian efforts by insensitive, heartless citizens and egotistic politicians who would force their dictates upon you.'

Why would Morrissey make a joke about s vaccine that didn't exist at the outset of the pandemic?

Morrissey is vaccinated. He wouldn't be able to organise a tour team if he wasn't. He's vaccinated with a jab that was tested on animals so he's not a 'vegan', and never was. He's a sleveen controversialist troll, a careerist hypocrite.

This writer is very stupid.

I had always thought in recent times the You are the Quarry title meant that we the audience are being hunted by those that rule us. And now that I'm seeing the Quarantine Cover on the backdrop for the first time in the Achoo vid, I see that the journalist makes good logic in his analysis.

Whether you believe citizens are being coerced into taking a vaccine with the ability to access concerts or not (or whether that's overreaching power), there is truth in Morrissey not aligning with any politicians and those artists supporting DeBlasio strongly taking a political side. How many of these events has Springsteen done? Way too many.

This quote sums everything up. Not even all of M's fans are listening.
"This is the single best nose-thumbing pop act since the great days of Public Enemy and the Sex Pistols. Surely the liberating wit of Morrissey’s sneeze can be understood around the world, but not everyone is listening."

I had always thought in recent times the You are the Quarry title meant that we the audience are being hunted by those that rule us. And now that I'm seeing the Quarantine Cover on the backdrop for the first time in the Achoo vid, I see that the journalist makes good logic in his analysis.

Whether you believe citizens are being coerced into taking a vaccine with the ability to access concerts or not

What else could it be? And don’t tell me it’s for everyone’s safety. By now we should all know that the vaccinated can be infected and spread the virus the same as the unvaccinated. So the proof of status and people’s safety in the event space doesn’t make sense as a reason for this enforcement and attack on people’s freedom.

“Last week, the agency released a study that showed the Delta variant produced similar amounts of virus in vaccinated and unvaccinated people if they got infected -- data that suggests vaccinated people who get a breakthrough infection could have a similar tendency to spread the virus as the unvaccinated.”

(or whether that's overreaching power), there is truth in Morrissey not aligning with any politicians and those artists supporting DeBlasio strongly taking a political side. How many of these events has Springsteen done? Way too many.

This quote sums everything up. Not even all of M's fans are listening.
"This is the single best nose-thumbing pop act since the great days of Public Enemy and the Sex Pistols. Surely the liberating wit of Morrissey’s sneeze can be understood around the world, but not everyone is listening."

Last edited:
Great article. It is the role of the artist to be anti-establishment. As the bodies pile up in Kabul, I wonder is Lady Gaga starting to regret singing at Sleepy Joe's inauguration?
The withdrawal from Half-A-Gas-Can was planned and the date set - nearly 2 years ago - under the Trump administration. Why would she regret singing at Biden’s inauguration?

What else could it be? And don’t tell me it’s for everyone’s safety. By now we should all know that the vaccinated can be infected and spread the virus the same as the unvaccinated. So the proof of status and people’s safety in the event space doesn’t make sense as a reason for this enforcement and attack on people’s freedom.

“Last week, the agency released a study that showed the Delta variant produced similar amounts of virus in vaccinated and unvaccinated people if they got infected -- data that suggests vaccinated people who get a breakthrough infection could have a similar tendency to spread the virus as the unvaccinated.”

The US is just beginning to experience the authoritarian coercion. Is there a reason Morrissey settled someplace with solid constitutional rights?

Take the quiz, people. Don't assume you know what's going on. https://covidvaccinequiz.org/quiz/us/

A lot of early anarcho-punk bands decided to go pop, but it didn't work quite well.
I am sure that Morrissey has no interest in anarcho-punk.... and yet he managed to bring a lot of the logic of anarcho-punk to pop (animal rights, anti-authoritarianism, questioning the gender roles,a strong anti-militarism, etc).

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom