National Review / Armond White: "Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ Exposes Pop Treachery" (July 20, 2022)

Morrissey.jpg

Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ Exposes Pop Treachery - by Armond White.

Excerpt:

"Against feckless public response to tragedy, Morrissey pinpoints the thoughtless way pop culture can be misused to anesthetize the populace. This is as challenging as “The National Front Disco” except that the new tune elegizes youth culture’s demise. Its solemnity brings back that woeful moment when Rolling Stone’s inexcusable August 1, 2013, cover glamorized Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a precursor to the British press’s absolving of Salman Abedi. Morrissey’s chorus of “Go easy on the killer” seethes with righteous anger."

Regards,
FWD.

Let’s also not forget the far-right scum that have crawled through the woodwork here on Solo and claimed Moz as their own. They’ve taken his mostly sane views on the plights of our time and made it into him being their second-coming-of-Hitler-wet dream.

Yes. But so few, and who cares? I don’t believe it matters. I mean, anyone with an agenda will twist what one says or perceive it the way they choose to in order to support their belief system.

Nuts do it with religious figures and other pop stars, best example being Manson, Beatles.

Yes. But so few, and who cares? I don’t believe it matters. I mean, anyone with an agenda will twist what one says or perceive it the way they choose to in order to support their belief system.

Nuts do it with religious figures and other pop stars, best example being Manson, Beatles.
Sure, but it irks me.

"Bonfire of Teenagers" is too lyrically slight to really have any strong reply. Who on Earth is advocating for the bomber to be pitied? Sounds like a straw man argument. To me this is just Moz inserting himself as perpetual slandered victim in place of a terrorist bomber. It's not the sign of an advanced intellect or someone who considers nuance. It is the opposite of his earliest work.

To follow up, I sincerely believe he is mentally unwell. Past the point of normal depression. This is something different. I wish it were not so as he was a hero to me in my youth.

This guy is critical poison. His opinions are so contrarian and so controversial that they're actually dangerous. (Stating that I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry is a better representation of gay-themed cinema than Brokeback Mountain? That's beyond the scope of personal opinion – it's an abomination.)

AW has no business defending Morrissey... even writing his name. He doesn't deserve to listen to Morrissey and partake in the genius of his art. His views have been ostracized to the right-wing wasteland of the "National Review" for a reason. M doesn't belong there with him.

As a fan of film, I've condemned AW and his views for more than a decade – but I take solace in M-Central's silence on the matter. It speaks volumes.

Last edited:
To follow up, I sincerely believe he is mentally unwell. Past the point of normal depression. This is something different. I wish it were not so as he was a hero to me in my youth.
Agree 100%. The lyrics to Bonfire are disturbing. It is puzzling when so much of his work is incredibly insightful and empathetic. I honestly feel sorry for him and hope he can get better.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom