National Review / Armond White: "Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ Exposes Pop Treachery" (July 20, 2022)

Morrissey.jpg

Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ Exposes Pop Treachery - by Armond White.

Excerpt:

"Against feckless public response to tragedy, Morrissey pinpoints the thoughtless way pop culture can be misused to anesthetize the populace. This is as challenging as “The National Front Disco” except that the new tune elegizes youth culture’s demise. Its solemnity brings back that woeful moment when Rolling Stone’s inexcusable August 1, 2013, cover glamorized Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a precursor to the British press’s absolving of Salman Abedi. Morrissey’s chorus of “Go easy on the killer” seethes with righteous anger."

Regards,
FWD.

The "fact checking" site doesn't rate them as 'extreme'.
'Right biased', 'high credibility' & 'mostly factual' isn't quite the same?
FWD.
Just because you're mostly factual doesn't mutually exclude the fact that you're well known for platforming a lot of extreme right wing views now, does it?

Last edited:
Once again, support from extreme right-wing sources. Who's surprised?

How do you get “extreme right wing” when your own evidence says “moderately to strongly biased.”
Never mind, it’s an interesting take. I think Morrissey may be onto something if he is actually courting the moderately right press. There is so much more competition trying to get the attention of the left.

why not addressing the root of the cause ? The frase "Easy on the killer".makes me think why the person did that ? What caused to him to do it ? Not just in England it's happening every where In this current insensitive world.. your stupid views of right or left need more common sense. do not judge, we all are compromised on how you raise your kids . So yes. We need Morrissey provocative songs.

True. Lee started making movies when people of his race in America were finding much more of their own voice in the country, regarding both in entertainment and more importantly overall progress in society. The struggles described in Lee's films are basically universal tales for any and all peoples, with the exception of occasionally showing how African-Americans specifically encountered discrimination with some regularity. Things are still not perfect or equal in America regarding these types of things, but they are better than they were in the States when the early Spike Lee films came out.

I don't think Lee is a racist. We all get discriminated against, stereotyped - and if you don't think it happens to you, wait until you're old. Some of us, by choice or natural life (i.e, genes, location, gender), experience discrimination much more than others, which is very unfortunate but sadly I am sure that it will never be gone entirely. Any kind of repetitive pain will harden the person, making them resistant against 'feeling' the pain. However, the strength that it takes to no longer feel the pain is essentially taken from one 'shelf' (on the inside) and placed on another. Now that first shelf (possibly caring/forgiveness/tolerance for all) is at least reduced if not emptied. A person can be forever changed, but that doesn't mean that Lee acts with or is consumed by hate.

I don't think Spike Lee is racist, either, but he's long had a chip on his shoulder and an enfant terrible style, which I suspect Armond White might be envious of. I'm sure both of them are genuine in their politics, though it has to grate on White that his own artistry involves praising Michael Bay as a cinematic vox populi in a magazine for country club Republicans. That does takes its own queer sort of talent, and I'm sure he sleeps well at night, but deep down he has to realize the limits of it. Whereas Spike Lee is destined to be remembered as a truly innovative filmmaker. The vivid, bright, and almost Afro-fetishistic color palette of his films when he was at the height of his powers—the late 80s, early 90s collaborations with the cinematographer Ernest Dickerson—that alone would almost be sufficient for greatness, but the fact that his material was so provocative at a time when things were so culturally banal makes it all the more special. I mean, the most popular framing of black America being served up to white audiences was the comparatively anodyne Cosby Show. I think Spike Lee's pugilistic attitude in support of his films must have always grated on Armond White. Like Salieri in that opening scene in Amadeus.

Just because you're mostly factual doesn't mutually exclude the fact that you're well known for platforming a lot of extreme right wing views now, does it?

You should know everything about being completely biased after your many years of hating on Morrissey for being a far right racist despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary.

I find it wise to try & keep some objectivity in life, personally.

Or perhaps focus your ‘Stamping out racism’ efforts on some actual racists rather than using it as an excuse to spout hatred at somebody you once idolised & can’t get over. You’re just wasting your valuable time whilst making yourself look foolish & boring everybody to tears.

Once again, you are the first person commenting on a new thread on the website of a singer you claim to despise.

And who is surprised? Absolutely nobody.

Let’s be honest, Skinny, you would unthinkingly brand literally anybody who has a nice word to say about your first love as ‘far right’.

You claim that anybody who supports Moz is on the extreme right but the only extremist around here is you with your extreme obsession with Morrissey, you deranged man.
Agreed 100%. I don't know how anyone can use this site without first blocking the tedious freak uncle[redacted]

It's interestin' how in Bonfire Of Teenagers, Moz is sharply
critiquin' folks response to the bombing, but he's doin' it in
a very beautiful way musically.
It's a beautiful song, beautifully sung.
It reminds me of a Moz interview where he talked about how
many of the things he says come of as kinda hostile, but when
he says them, he says them in a very soft spoken way.

Agreed 100%. I don't know how anyone can use this site without first blocking the tedious freak uncle[redacted]

I blocked him years ago but when I see others responding to his posts I can’t resist the urge to remind him that he’s an unwelcome bore.

He almost never responds with his @Uncleskinny account but I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the other accounts/anonymous posters that defend him/dislike his detractors posts, are actually him.

I think he likes to pretend he doesn’t read peoples replies to him ‘cos he’s superior to us idiot Moz worshipping racists, so he doesn’t reply using his original account.

That’s my theory, anyway.

Once again, support from extreme right-wing sources. Who's surprised?

You must have been incredibly angry when Johnny Marr wrote that article for The Spectator.

But are they? Really?

Which of his views specifically are highly regarded by racists? And which racists are you referring to?
I can send it to you. But first, I need to understand what you think "racism" means. I hate it when people move the goal posts.

Once we both come to an agreement on the meaning of "racism" then we can proceed with our discussion.

Spike Lee may indeed not be racist, but someone else should know better than to use a trope that should have been left in the 1970s.. :(

I don't understand. Is this a racist trope? Or do you just object to it out of aesthetics? Looking it up on Wikipedia, I don't see a mention of racist connotations. I have never understood it to be racist, and have commonly heard it used outside of any racial context.

I can send it to you. But first, I need to understand what you think "racism" means. I hate it when people move the goal posts.

Once we both come to an agreement on the meaning of "racism" then we can proceed with our discussion.
You’re the one claiming that Morrissey has views which are applauded by racists. I call you out on your vague accusations & now you’re trying to side-step by demanding that I must define racism for you before you will elaborate on your original claim.

Seems like you’re just trying to avoid answering my very simple & direct questions because you can’t back up your initial comment.

You’re the one claiming that Morrissey has views which are applauded by racists. I call you out on your vague accusations & now you’re trying to side-step by demanding that I must define racism for you before you will elaborate on your original claim.

Seems like you’re just trying to avoid answering my very simple & direct questions because you can’t back up your initial comment.
These are just a few. I've loved Morrissey for decades because I understand his nuance. The people using his words here are hateful people that couldn't hold a candle to Morrissey.
Now can you tell me what you think "racism" means? :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I blocked him years ago but when I see others responding to his posts I can’t resist the urge to remind him that he’s an unwelcome bore.

He almost never responds with his @Uncleskinny account but I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the other accounts/anonymous posters that defend him/dislike his detractors posts, are actually him.

I think he likes to pretend he doesn’t read peoples replies to him ‘cos he’s superior to us idiot Moz worshipping racists, so he doesn’t reply using his original account.

That’s my theory, anyway.
Self-awareness is a beautiful thing to have. When you don’t have it, you get Fat with anger.

Let’s also not forget the far-right scum that have crawled through the woodwork here on Solo and claimed Moz as their own. They’ve taken his mostly sane views on the plights of our time and made it into him being their second-coming-of-Hitler-wet dream.

I wish extreme right in America meant acting like Morrissey.
This country would be so much better it would be immeasurable.

Weren't be surprised if Bonfire Of Teenagers is the #1 song
on Wild T's 2022 best of list.
Will be interestin' to see if these other groups and singers
can step their game up and rise to the occasion.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom