National Review / Armond White: "Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ Exposes Pop Treachery" (July 20, 2022)

Morrissey.jpg

Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ Exposes Pop Treachery - by Armond White.

Excerpt:

"Against feckless public response to tragedy, Morrissey pinpoints the thoughtless way pop culture can be misused to anesthetize the populace. This is as challenging as “The National Front Disco” except that the new tune elegizes youth culture’s demise. Its solemnity brings back that woeful moment when Rolling Stone’s inexcusable August 1, 2013, cover glamorized Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a precursor to the British press’s absolving of Salman Abedi. Morrissey’s chorus of “Go easy on the killer” seethes with righteous anger."

Regards,
FWD.

The "fact checking" site doesn't rate them as 'extreme'.
'Right biased', 'high credibility' & 'mostly factual' isn't quite the same?
FWD.

Once again, support from extreme right-wing sources. Who's surprised?

You make this point every single time, re the National Review - and every single time, you're incorrect.

If you label the National Review extreme right-wing then you also need to apply that to the Spectator, or call the Guardian extreme left-wing.

They're all biased, yes, but not extreme.

Armond White is a professional contrarian. Look up his movie reviews. He praises Michael Bay and CGI comic-book movies in order to provoke fights. He does score some good points against the critics who laud pretentious garbage, but his mode is to go in the extreme opposite direction. He's constantly feuding with Spike Lee. I don't know if his fondness for Morrissey is sincere and long-running, or if he is a come-lately to this kind of panegyric, but the latter would not surprise me.

Armond White is a professional contrarian. Look up his movie reviews. He praises Michael Bay and CGI comic-book movies in order to provoke fights. He does score some good points against the critics who laud pretentious garbage, but his mode is to go in the extreme opposite direction. He's constantly feuding with Spike Lee. I don't know if his fondness for Morrissey is sincere and long-running, or if he is a come-lately to this kind of panegyric, but the latter would not surprise me.
He reviewed Morrissey's Madison Square Garden show in 1991, so it's been going on a while!

Armond White is a homosexual African-American. As one writer described him: "He’s a gay African-American fundamentalist-Christian aesthete, and if that doesn’t make him an individual, I don’t know what would." (Quote taken from this article)

I'm not sure if it's fair to call him "extreme right-wing." His views on cinema are extremely contrary, but usually in a refreshingly provocative way.

And National Review, the magazine he writes for, is conservative but not extreme-right. The is from wikipedia: "In 2015, the magazine published an editorial entitled "Against Trump," calling him a "philosophically unmoored political opportunist" and announcing its opposition to his candidacy for the Republican nomination for president. Since Trump's election to the presidency, the National Review editorial board has continued to criticize him." So in American politics, NR is seen as a somewhat reasonable right-of-center publication. Not a pro-Trump, racism/white-supremacy, or Q-anon publication.

Once again, you are the first person commenting on a new thread on the website of a singer you claim to despise.

And who is surprised? Absolutely nobody.

Let’s be honest, Skinny, you would unthinkingly brand literally anybody who has a nice word to say about your first love as ‘far right’.

You claim that anybody who supports Moz is on the extreme right but the only extremist around here is you with your extreme obsession with Morrissey, you deranged man.

Last edited:

DOLPHINS WOULDN’T SWIM TO RESCUE YOU SCHOOLS OF FISH WOULD REFUSE TO KEEP YOUR THROAT AFLOAT OWLS WOULD NEVER BOW THEIR LEARNED BROWS, SO WHY DO YOU POST​

Anyway, Armond White does make a point, it’s an observation worth discussion.

Last edited:
Once again, you are the first person commenting on a new thread on the website of a singer you claim to despise.

And who is surprised? Absolutely nobody.

Let’s be honest, Skinny, you would unthinkingly brand literally anybody who has a nice word to say about your first love as ‘far right’.

You claim that anybody who supports Moz is on the extreme right but the only extremist around here is you with your extreme obsession with Morrissey, you deranged man.
The most adamant anti-gay people often turn out to be gay.
Perhaps Skinny is dealing with his inability to admit he wants to be a Nazi.

As far as the article goes, I had no idea that Ariana Grande sang Don't Look Back in Anger. That's very disappointing. Why not be angry? Why suppress a natural emotion? Why not use that anger to try to prevent these things from happening again? Why send a message that, "If you blow up a crowd of people we won't be angry for more than a week."

Armond White is a homosexual African-American. As one writer described him: "He’s a gay African-American fundamentalist-Christian aesthete, and if that doesn’t make him an individual, I don’t know what would." (Quote taken from this article)

I'm not sure if it's fair to call him "extreme right-wing." His views on cinema are extremely contrary, but usually in a refreshingly provocative way.

And National Review, the magazine he writes for, is conservative but not extreme-right. The is from wikipedia: "In 2015, the magazine published an editorial entitled "Against Trump," calling him a "philosophically unmoored political opportunist" and announcing its opposition to his candidacy for the Republican nomination for president. Since Trump's election to the presidency, the National Review editorial board has continued to criticize him." So in American politics, NR is seen as a somewhat reasonable right-of-center publication. Not a pro-Trump, racism/white-supremacy, or Q-anon publication.
They did do the Against Issue, but in the Intervening years, they have been mostly pro Trump and his policies

White is a contrarian and his enthusiasm for Morrissey is genuine

DOLPHINS WOULDN’T SWIM TO RESCUE YOU SCHOOLS OF FISH WOULD REUSE TO KEEP YOUR THROAT AFLOAT OWLS WOULD NEVER BOW THEIR LEARNED BROWS, SO WHY DO YOU POST​

Anyway, Armond White does make a point, it’s an observation worth discussion.

Was listenin' to the song the other day and started to
think of it as bein' sung from the point of view of one
of the victims family members.
Imagine bein' a family member of one of the victims
and ya were grievin' and next thing ya know, the guy
from Coldplay is singin' "Don't look back in anger."
Ya just might not react to enthusiastically.

I don't read him enough to know what his "usual" is, but lauding Michael Bay and Zack Snyder movies seems more perverse than refreshing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom