National Day of Prayer

Please god, let City win on Sunday against the evil red devils.

*Hopes he or she answers my prayer*:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Our team was doing great until Jesus sprained my ankle!

There's room for everyone. And their beliefs. Respect and tolerance.

Peter

Sure there is, but when people flaunt their beliefs, which include their god condemning you to eternal pain and suffering for daring to not believe in him, then it does seem incredibly self righteous and pompous, no matter the intent.

This was not done directly, but if this person believes in the 'god' most do, then this is included in their beliefs, and remember: god is always right, so they must believe by default all of us sinners are going to burn. Now having someone like this come up and want to pray for you or whatnot comes across as extremely condescending and really pisses a lot of people off, as you can see by the end result of this topic.

Then again, it's the internet, so get used it or go outside.

Flaunt my beliefs? I'm sorry Arsenal, but no one forced you to click on a thread with Prayer in the title. I don't go into posts about football and proclaim it crap and those who are fans as stupid and assume that each one is drunken and belligerent. I started a conversation, you entered it. I was prepared for whatever may come and I do know that there are people here who believe (or disbelieve) differently from me and I am ok with that. Are you ok with people who do believe it? I am not the only one, and those who do have a voice too.

Flaunt my beliefs? I'm sorry Arsenal, but no one forced you to click on a thread with Prayer in the title. I don't go into posts about football and proclaim it crap and those who are fans as stupid and assume that each one is drunken and belligerent. I started a conversation, you entered it. I was prepared for whatever may come and I do know that there are people here who believe (or disbelieve) differently from me and I am ok with that. Are you ok with people who do believe it? I am not the only one, and those who do have a voice too.

Please don't compare religion with football.
Football is not a sophisticated form of child abuse. It also doesn't preach for the abuse of women.

Please don't compare religion with football.
Football is not a sophisticated form of child abuse. It also doesn't preach for the abuse of women.

And while hooliganism does exist, it is the vast minority of 'fans' who participate in such activity. In religion, it is right in the doctrine that those who don't accept their god will burn for all eternity, and those who subscribe to it, must accept this as it is the will of their all knowing, all seeing, god.

If there were a football hand book that proclaimed you must drink beer and assault rival fans or else you truly don't believe in the game of football, then I would agree with the comparison, but since no such thing exists, it's a silly comparison.

Nightingale, so there goes another hypocritical chuch-going numpty

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with Nightingale posting this thread. Could do with a lottery win, say a prayer for me Nightingale!

I don't have a problem with Nightingale posting this thread either, it's just the I am god I know better than you shit that annoys me, not to mention the patronising attitude

Good luck with money blue, but that won't make you happy

During the Bush years, the National Day of Prayer, an anodyne holdover from the Truman days, was taken over by the religious right and turned into an official White House event. Hijacked by Shirley Dobson, wife of Focus on the Family founder James Dobson, and her National Day of Prayer Task Force, the first Thursday in May became a juggernaut for the fundamentalist proponents of "Christian nation" mythology. The Task Force even had its own unconstitutional Day of Prayer event with Bush in the East Room of the White House.

Not so this year. President Barack Obama spurned the Dobson crew, making it clear last week that the White House would not be hosting any prayer events, but would, as customary, issue a Day of Prayer proclamation. The Interfaith Alliance and Jews on First, two liberal groups promoting religious liberty and church-state separation, urged the White House to make the proclamation inclusive to all religious and non-religious Americans. :)

Last edited:
There's room for everyone. And their beliefs. Respect and tolerance.

Peter

I disagree with this. Religion is inherently evil because it is a set of false beliefs that branch out into more sets of false beliefs. It makes people turn away from what is actual so that they can indulge in magical thinking. It is bad for our world. Just because some people feel good after going to church to hear a sermon about how they're going to get to live with God one day doesn't make it worth all the horror that religion causes all over the world.

*Hopes he or she answers my prayer*:thumb:

:bow: (Only cavemen still think of God as a bloke!:lbf: )

God, if it exists, is neither Male or Female...
Proof is...
If you :pray: to Susan Boyle, you'll get exactly the same results. :)

Works for footie and all! AND the voice of an angel!:love:

Tags
jesus vs santa
Back
Top Bottom