National Day of Prayer

there is multiple scientific evidence that the life changing 'healing' power of prayer--whether it be emotional or physical--is nothing more than the healing power of meditation. When people meditate, their body and minds start to react differently and do weird stuff. It's scientific, not religious.

So religion/prayer is just a template people use to tap into this natural ability. I suggest meditation and drop the spiritual hocus pocus. It's not necessary and you'll just be living a lie. But if you really do need the hocus pocus because you are unable to survive without the clutch...then go for it. It's a free world.

I admire the positive potential religion has in bringing people together in a local community. Though it could also get negative, as in Middle East negative.

Some people disagree with you. And I agree with them:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html?_r=1

OK, did anyone read my original post? IF you want prayer, I am available. I didn't say, "Bring out the atheists, lets have a go." There are so many other threads that deal with this argument. I am quite aware that people do not believe the same as me and I accept that. But don't click on a thread titled National Day of Prayer and expect it to be about tacos.

However, if you turn up here with your anger I will pray that God relieves some of that anger. And do you really want to know why? The answer might shock you. It is not because God and I are having a little gossip session about you. The simple truth is because I've had blinding anger too, and I prayed to a God whom I believe is the living God and slowly my anger began to fade and was even replaced with compassion. This is something that I did not and could not do for myself. And it is a personal experience and unless you have stood by my side all these years to see it occur, how will you really understand?

It seems like a simple thing to me. If you want to respond to what I originally asked then do so (which a few people have via PM as not to come under attack as well). If you don't believe, then ignore it. This thread will eventually faded away and you'll never have to think about it again.

I still wish peace and joy to everyone here...everyone.

OK, did anyone read my original post? IF you want prayer, I am available. I didn't say, "Bring out the atheists, lets have a go." There are so many other threads that deal with this argument. I am quite aware that people do not believe the same as me and I accept that. But don't click on a thread titled National Day of Prayer and expect it to be about tacos.

However, if you turn up here with your anger I will pray that God relieves some of that anger. And do you really want to know why? The answer might shock you. It is not because God and I are having a little gossip session about you. The simple truth is because I've had blinding anger too, and I prayed to a God whom I believe is the living God and slowly my anger began to fade and was even replaced with compassion. This is something that I did not and could not do for myself. And it is a personal experience and unless you have stood by my side all these years to see it occur, how will you really understand?

It seems like a simple thing to me. If you want to respond to what I originally asked then do so (which a few people have via PM as not to come under attack as well). If you don't believe, then ignore it. This thread will eventually faded away and you'll never have to think about it again.

I still wish peace and joy to everyone here...everyone.

Again, a patronising, assuming post. Have you ever thought that many of us have compassion, kindness, love and peace without having to pray to 'God'? I'm totally accepting of religion etc, but in my opinion and experiences, religion is very intolerant of things or people that might not meet it's expectations. For example, because I like to have a drink, swear, have pre-marital sex with my girlfriend, I might be seen as a 'sinner' in the eyes of many religious people

Again, a patronising, assuming post. Have you ever thought that many of us have compassion, kindness, love and peace without having to pray to 'God'?

she never said you didnt. you're the one who sounds like youre assuming things.

I'm totally accepting of religion etc, but in my opinion and experiences, religion is very intolerant of things or people that might not meet it's expectations. For example, because I like to have a drink, swear, have pre-marital sex with my girlfriend, I might be seen as a 'sinner' in the eyes of many religious people

dont base your whole idea of religion on just one person. nightingale never said or even implied any of these things.

dont base your whole idea of religion on just one person. nightingale never said or even implied any of these things.

It doesn't matter, most likely (if she is christian or catholic) her beliefs support those ideas whether she does or not. By coming in here and flaunting her beliefs on an open forum, she has opened herself to ridicule, questioning and debate. What she represents is highly offensive to many people for a variety of reasons, and if she doesn't like that, then perhaps she should go post on a nice religious forum or learn to internetz like the rest of us and accept bs when it comes your way, which is usually ever other post.

It doesn't matter, most likely (if she is christian or catholic) her beliefs support those ideas whether she does or not. By coming in here and flaunting her beliefs on an open forum, she has opened herself to ridicule, questioning and debate. What she represents is highly offensive to many people for a variety of reasons, and if she doesn't like that, then perhaps she should go post on a nice religious forum or learn to internetz like the rest of us and accept bs when it comes your way, which is usually ever other post.

Are you angry? You must be angry. Nightingale will pray for you.

im sorry, i didnt realize this was atheists-only.com.

This is becoming laughable. What is everyone so intimidated by? What have I asked of anyone? Did I pressure anyone to donating their time to the homeless shelter or pass around a collection plate?

Jason, did I seek you out to condemn your choices? I never said you lacked compassion. I said that I did.

Arsenal, that is a lot to assume.

To anyone, did I call you stupid for not believing? No, and I never will. As I will continue to say I respect your opinions even if I disagree, and I do hold the freedom to disagree. But you can not force me to revoke something that I live and breathe by. No one here can change my mind and I'm not seeking to change anyone else's mind.

im sorry, i didnt realize this was atheists-only.com.

I said nothing about atheists. I said that her beliefs and the beliefs of many religions offend people, and if you want to put that sort of offensive stuff out there, then be prepared for people to react to it.

Are you angry? You must be angry. Nightingale will pray for you.

I am a storming force of rage and hate. Only talking to the ceiling will cure me, well, until I burn in hell fires for all eternity for not accepting Jesus, that is. :)

So you are not Christian or Catholic, then? Most people are either one or the other in either North America or Europe, so it's not a lot to assume at all, actually, since those two make up the vast majority of the populace.

Last edited:
Wow, is there always this much contention on this forum? Maybe in the next world, indeed.

This is becoming laughable. What is everyone so intimidated by? What have I asked of anyone? Did I pressure anyone to donating their time to the homeless shelter or pass around a collection plate?

Jason, did I seek you out to condemn your choices? I never said you lacked compassion. I said that I did.

To anyone, did I call you stupid for not believing? No, and I never will. As I will continue to say I respect your opinions even if I disagree, and I do hold the freedom to disagree. But you can not force me to revoke something that I live and breathe by. No one here can change my mind and I'm not seeking to change anyone else's mind.

you were patronizing. You offered prayers to the angry atheists here--as if atheism is some kind of disease, and one must be angry with life if they "reject God/Jesus". This attitude is not new from your type.

I for one am not angry and the other posts from atheists did not seem angry. But this shit does get old from people like you.

So it is insulting the way you twatted around here. If any anger did emerge, it's because of you, and not prayer or religion. Understand?

Last edited:
you were patronizing. You offered prayers to the angry atheists here--as if atheism is some kind of disease, and one must be angry with life if they "reject God/Jesus". This attitude is not new from your type.

damn dude. are you serious??

Dave, on the first page I apologized for coming across as patronizing (if indeed that is how it was read, some yes, others no).

Tags
jesus vs santa
Back
Top Bottom