National Day of Prayer

TheNightingale

Misplaced Joan of Arc
Today May 7th, 2009 is National Day of Prayer in the US. I was thinking this would be a good place for anyone to leave a prayer request, I know there are a few pray-er hanging around here who would gladly take a few moments for you. Or if it's too personal you may PM me and I will pray for you.

I wrestled with even posting this here, but I simply recognized that there are a lot of people around here with a lot of hurt, anxiety, depression, confusion (the list is endless). I have been in desperate places too. And whether you believe it or not there are evidences in my life that I can not ignore, and the difference prayer makes is one of them.

Please, please, please don't misunderstand me here. I am not trying to raise the ire of those of you who are atheists or lapsed this or that. Many of you have been personally hurt by some religious order, and you've had your say. But please let's keep this a peaceful place.

prayer-purpose.png

Awrigh, Flax you've got my attention. But what is it that you want? An argument? I didn't come here for that. For me to admit that its all just hocus pocus? It isn't, not to me nor to many others who have seen lives change.

P.S. I can pray and swing a hammer at the same time. ;)

Awrigh, Flax you've got my attention. But what is it that you want? An argument? I didn't come here for that. For me to admit that its all just hocus pocus? It isn't, not to me nor to many others who have seen lives change.

Erm, I think he's just expressing his opinion on the matter ;)

Today May 7th, 2009 is National Day of Prayer in the US. I was thinking this would be a good place for anyone to leave a prayer request, I know there are a few pray-er hanging around here who would gladly take a few moments for you. Or if it's too personal you may PM me and I will pray for you.

I wrestled with even posting this here, but I simply recognized that there are a lot of people around here with a lot of hurt, anxiety, depression, confusion (the list is endless). I have been in desperate places too. And whether you believe it or not there are evidences in my life that I can not ignore, and the difference prayer makes is one of them.

Please, please, please don't misunderstand me here. I am not trying to raise the ire of those of you who are atheists or lapsed this or that. Many of you have been personally hurt by some religious order, and you've had your say. But please let's keep this a peaceful place.

What a generally patronising post!

Awrigh, Flax you've got my attention. But what is it that you want? An argument? I didn't come here for that.

Sorry I don't want an argument... I just thought these were funny :)

For me to admit that its all just hocus pocus? It isn't, not to me nor to many others who have seen lives change.

Some studies will disagree with you:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html

Ok you get a point for dexterity! :D

We're cool, Flax. I don't want to fight about any of it. I just didn't want this to become a, "She believes in something. Get her!" thread. If just one person feels like someone cares enough to spend some time thinking/praying for them, then it's all worth it

I will tell you though that if I didn't pray, I'd've never even picked up that hammer. I am a selfish person by nature.

And Jason, I'm sorry you felt patronized. Definitely not my intention. Please accept my sincere apology.

'Oh I see, so you don't believe in science. And you also don't believe that political systems work. And you don't believe in God, huh?'

'Right.'

'So then what do you believe in?'

'Sex and Death. Two things that come once in my lifetime. But at least after death you're not nauseous.'

As an ex-religious miltant, my instinct is to be on Flax's side. As a getting-older person, I believe that if someone does something that makes them feel good, and it doesn't harm anyone else, then go for it. It can only increase the good in this world, and decrease the entropy. By the way, I'm an atheist, and more importantly, a humanist.

Peter

As an ex-religious miltant, my instinct is to be on Flax's side. As a getting-older person, I believe that if someone does something that makes them feel good, and it doesn't harm anyone else, then go for it. It can only increase the good in this world, and decrease the entropy. By the way, I'm an atheist, and more importantly, a humanist.

Peter

While I have had some atheist/agnostic posts and my sig is a dig at religious people, I do not think people should stop doing something that makes them feel good.

My mother is in a church. It makes her happy. She sings in the choir, she has a reason to get out of the house and something to look forward to. Why would I want to take that from her?

There are plenty of people who are religious in a healthy way. I hope it continues for them.

Great thread. I mean that in a serious way.

Please god, let City win on Sunday against the evil red devils.

*Hopes he or she answers my prayer*:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Tags
jesus vs santa
Back
Top Bottom