Name That Tomato! (and Other Gardening Topics)

I see. When I googled "ugly tomato", a picture of Betty Friedan popped up! Outrageous! :mad:

Hahahah! * claps hand over mouth*

Maybe you could just call it lycopersicum deliricum, or in modern tongue, "crazy tomato".
LOl, yes, I think we're in the right direction. :D

I think they are wonderful and I agree with everyone here that they should be exhibited somehow when time to harvest.

Thanks. :) I'll have to chop them up eventually to try to get some viable seed for next year, but I'll certainly take more pics if they ripen successfully.

I found this pic on Google. *giggle*

Re: Omg!

What the heck.....?

freaktoms1.jpg

And it's not just a couple of fruits, but two whole plants of them.

freaktoms2.jpg

The "mother" was a very normal-looking (small, red) semi-beefsteak I bought for eating from a French market stall and from which I kept the seed on account of the good flavour. Judging by the look of the kids, "Dad" must have been some sort of tomato Freddy Kruger.

Name suggestions welcome, as before. :)
oh my god!

:eek:

I think I'll stick with Gardeners Delight!!

Oh, I have a Gardener's Delight outside. Never without a GD - my dad has had his own strain going for decades. :)
They look inbred to me, or genetically mutated.

The mother fruit was from a mixed lot of "heritage" types, grown outdoors on a smallholding. These types are typically lumpy and mishapen, so my plants are probably just an extreme expression of this, caused by chance cross-pollination between varieties. Can't wait to see how they taste. :)

Last edited:
I have a bush tomato plant amongst a batch of cordons in my greenhouse. If it turns out to be a unique or unusual mutation and the plant performs well, I'll take the seed and try to develop my own tomato variety. It's a purple, plum-shaped tomato, so what do people suggest I name my variety if it works out?

Did someone say Plumato?

I couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread..:) If it turns out to be a success and you don't give me credit for the name i'll sue your sorry ass..!!!

Just saying...:p

Did someone say Plumato?

I couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread..:) If it turns out to be a success and you don't give me credit for the name i'll sue your sorry ass..!!!

Just saying...:p

Oh, that was a different plant. Turned out almost totally unproductive and a waste of space. But thanks for the suggestion. And the threat. :)

Oh, that was a different plant. Turned out almost totally unproductive and a waste of space. But thanks for the suggestion. And the threat. :)

Unproductive and a waste of space! Have you got access to my medical files..:)

Mike Joyce taught me everything i know...:p It was a good name though:)

LOl, yes, I think we're in the right direction. :D

Yes, I agree. These tomatoes inspire some sort of mythical name. Something perhaps with latin/greek origin.

The protrusions look more like fingers to me than, err, anything masculine in character.

Here are some words in latin that mean finger, or fingers:

primoris
infringo

Here are some words in greek that mean finger, or fingers:

onux
palasté
daktulos

Daktulos is familiarly seen as the word polydactlyl, which is a uncommon genetic trait found in some cat paws! Hemingway apparently was given a polydactyl cat as a gift from a sailor. Maine Coons are known sometimes to have a polydactyl paw. They were believed to be lucky.

Perhaps this could be the Maine Coon tomato, or Lucky Cat tomato.

I'm out of ideas.

Yes, I agree. These tomatoes inspire some sort of mythical name. Something perhaps with latin/greek origin.

The protrusions look more like fingers to me than, err, anything masculine in character.

Here are some words in latin that mean finger, or fingers:

primoris
infringo

Here are some words in greek that mean finger, or fingers:

onux
palasté
daktulos

Daktulos is familiarly seen as the word polydactlyl, which is a uncommon genetic trait found in some cat paws! Hemingway apparently was given a polydactyl cat as a gift from a sailor. Maine Coons are known sometimes to have a polydactyl paw. They were believed to be lucky.

Perhaps this could be the Maine Coon tomato, or Lucky Cat tomato.

I'm out of ideas.

I think there's something in the "infringo" suggestion, as it suggests a fringe of fingers, which one of the toms has. :) Maybe just "Fringo". It would have to breed true for that to be apt, of course.

I think there's something in the "infringo" suggestion, as it suggests a fringe of fingers, which one of the toms has. :) Maybe just "Fringo". It would have to breed true for that to be apt, of course.

First it was Knitting. Then it's now tomato's and Gardening Topics!

I think The Cat's Mother is working under-cover for the People's Friend or something. Next it'll be allotments and Garden Gnomes!

She'll probably organise a Moz-meet-and-greet and we'll all turn up and end up weaving baskets or something!

I know what you're up to Mrs.....:p

*yawn*

I think The Cat's Mother is working under-cover for the People's Friend or something. Next it'll be allotments and Garden Gnomes!

She'll probably organise a Moz-meet-and-greet and we'll all turn up and end up weaving baskets or something!

Just let you know TCM is voted the wittiest poster of the year in 2006 first Morrissey-Solo annual polls. :p

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=65143

Last edited:

GNOMES!? :eek: Fie on you, Sir!

Maybe I'll start a wallpapering thread. Once I've written this week's People's Friend agony column and a short romance story set in a home-made jam shop.

GNOMES!? :eek: Fie on you, Sir!

Maybe I'll start a wallpapering thread. Once I've written this week's People's Friend agony column and a short romance story set in a home-made jam shop.

A wallpapering thread? I do have a hobby of collecting Trestle tables..:guitar:

If you get a letter in your agony column from a Scottish person with Rhubarb Rash in a sensitive place, then it isn't me, okay!

But any tips would be appreciated, obviously....:p

A wallpapering thread? I do have a hobby of collecting Trestle tables..:guitar:

If you get a letter in your agony column from a Scottish person with Rhubarb Rash in a sensitive place, then it isn't me, okay!

But any tips would be appreciated, obviously....:p

Grow "Champagne" rather than "Victoria". It's much less hassle on yer nethers. And it doesn't take the varnish off yer trestles, either.

Next?

Just let you know TCM is voted the wittiest poster of the year in 2006 first Morrissey-Solo annual polls. :p

Are you saying i shouldn't order the tux and bow-tie Kewpie?...:tears:

Aren't you off topic there hun?...:p

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=65143

Grow "Champagne" rather than "Victoria". It's much less hassle on yer nethers. And it doesn't take the varnish off yer trestles, either.

Next?

I never varnish my tables. I get them signed by celebrities, Spit the Dog, Orville and Emu complete with a handful of pubes from the late Rod Hull.

Thanks for the advice. I can assure you that the Rhubarb got there when i fell over attending to a rather frail ladybird..:p

I never varnish my tables. I get them signed by celebrities, Spit the Dog, Orville and Emu complete with a handful of pubes from the late Rod Hull.

Thanks for the advice. I can assure you that the Rhubarb got there when i fell over attending to a rather frail ladybird..:p

He should never have taken that psychotic bloody bird up that ladder with him. :(

Ah, yes. Easily acquired, are insect assistance injuries. At least you weren't standing over the marrow bed.

Tags
gardening tomatoes
Back
Top Bottom