Name That Tomato! (and Other Gardening Topics)

The Cat's Mother

Unmentionable
I have a bush tomato plant amongst a batch of cordons in my greenhouse. If it turns out to be a unique or unusual mutation and the plant performs well, I'll take the seed and try to develop my own tomato variety. It's a purple, plum-shaped tomato, so what do people suggest I name my variety if it works out?

I have a bush tomato plant amongst a batch of cordons in my greenhouse. If it turns out to be a unique or unusual mutation and the plant performs well, I'll take the seed and try to develop my own tomato variety. It's a purple, plum-shaped tomato, so what do people suggest I name my variety if it works out?

Sounds nice. The color would make it nice to add variety to salads. Maybe a picture would suggest a name. A cordon is a vine type? I think you mean that most of the plants are branching out on the ground more and this one has a different shape? Is it more the type of tomato you would cook or not?

Lots of things to work with there anyway.

Wow, exciting!
Very boring, but either prince or plum tomato[/I].

Sounds nice. The color would make it nice to add variety to salads. Maybe a picture would suggest a name. A cordon is a vine type? I think you mean that most of the plants are branching out on the ground more and this one has a different shape? Is it more the type of tomato you would cook or not?

Lots of things to work with there anyway.

With the honourable exception of Gardener's Delight, I don't grow any variety that's both round and red. This year, I have red compact beefsteaks, yellow ribbed, mini yellow clusters and a pinkish deformed thing that you break bits off as they ripen. Plus something from my seed drawer just labelled "mystery tomato". Yes, a cordon is a vine. This plant is totally different in habit. One of the "mystery" plants is of an unexpected habit, too. It's going o be an interesting year in the greenhouse. :)

I think I just outed myself as a tomato geek..... :o

Omg!

What the heck.....?

freaktoms1.jpg

And it's not just a couple of fruits, but two whole plants of them.

freaktoms2.jpg

The "mother" was a very normal-looking (small, red) semi-beefsteak I bought for eating from a French market stall and from which I kept the seed on account of the good flavour. Judging by the look of the kids, "Dad" must have been some sort of tomato Freddy Kruger.

Name suggestions welcome, as before. :)

These pictures were illuminating.

Yes, I can see they are some sort of cross between a plum and an heirloom, which are sometimes referred to as ugly heirloom.

How about if you just call them "plum-ugly"? It's catchy in a Will Rodgers kind of way.

BTW, was the last time you had your garden checked for radon?

These pictures were illuminating.

Yes, I can see they are some sort of cross between a plum and an heirloom, which are sometimes referred to as ugly heirloom.

How about if you just call them "plum-ugly"? It's catchy in a Will Rodgers kind of way.

BTW, was the last time you had your garden checked for radon?

"Ugly Ripe" is now an official variety in the US, isn't it? So I'd want to stay away from the U-word. Even image-googling for "ugly tomatoes", I've never seen quite this degree of deformity as in the bigger fruits on my plants. It's like they have their guts hanging out of them.... and then the guts grow little hanging guts of their own. The mother fruit was shaped like a small Brandywine or Marmande, but you could be right about the plum heritage as to why the extrusions are abnormally elongated. :)

Re: Omg!

What the heck.....?

freaktoms1.jpg

freaktoms2.jpg

The "mother" was a very normal-looking (small, red) semi-beefsteak I bought for eating from a French market stall and from which I kept the seed on account of the good flavour. Judging by the look of the kids, "Dad" must have been some sort of tomato Freddy Kruger.

Wow they are some pretty strange looking tomato's:eek:

Re: Omg!

What the heck.....?

freaktoms1.jpg

freaktoms2.jpg

wow those are some crazy looking tomatoes.

"Ugly Ripe" is now an official variety in the US, isn't it? So I'd want to stay away from the U-word. Even image-googling for "ugly tomatoes", I've never seen quite this degree of deformity as in the bigger fruits on my plants. It's like they have their guts hanging out of them.... and then the guts grow little hanging guts of their own. The mother fruit was shaped like a small Brandywine or Marmande, but you could be right about the plum heritage as to why the extrusions are abnormally elongated. :)

I see. When I googled "ugly tomato", a picture of Betty Friedan popped up! Outrageous! :mad:

Maybe you could just call it lycopersicum deliricum, or in modern tongue, "crazy tomato".

I think they are wonderful and I agree with everyone here that they should be exhibited somehow when time to harvest.

Tags
gardening tomatoes
Back
Top Bottom