N Gallagher's solo album - yes or no?

Maurice E

I've always rated N Gallagher as a top-notch songwriter. Pretty much every Oasis single has a great singalong melody but I've never bought any of the albums. The trouble for me is that 96% of the songs are sung by a deeply unpleasant, brainless buffoon.
Obviously, this isn't the case for N Gallagher's new album. I thought the single (Death of You and Me) was pretty good, and the other two 'leaked' songs I've heard are promising on one or two listens.
Am looking forward to, and will defo buy, the album, if only to help it sell more copies than Beady Eye! Would like to see his new band live, too. Anyone bought a ticket?

oh the joys of starting a thread that sets the forum alight!
much as I quite like N Gallagher, I remember, back in the mid 90s, he was pretty arrogant about the probable commercial success of his forthcoming singles. in interviews he'd say stuff like, "I've just written three new songs, two will make number 1, and the other may only reach number 2".
wonder what he thinks about the chart success of "The Death of You and Me" - in at number 15 then straight down to 53. that's almost as poor as a Morrissey single!

To be fair, his type of music (and Morrissey's) is no longer compatible with singles and charts. It's over.
NG songs sound decent.

To be fair, his type of music (and Morrissey's) is no longer compatible with singles and charts. It's over.
NG songs sound decent.

Well, the single picked up plenty of airplay which will certainly help the album to sell. I expect he'll easily grab the number one album slot, and it'll sell over 100,000 in the first week, much more than any Morrissey album has achieved. But I agree he would struggle in the singles chart unless he releases something which is a lot stronger than The Death of You and Me.

In Brazil it was not released yet but I'm looking forward to get my hands on it. I listened to "Death of you & me" and liked it too.
I loved Beady Eye's Dufferent Gear, Still Speeding and guess I'll love High Flying Birds

The single sounds ok when its on the radio.
Has the album leaked? It isn't out for a month or so according the HMV

Dave

In my opinion the track is as dull as the proverbial. The funniest thing I heard was Lima being interviewed when he said 'those songs sounded a lot better when I was singin' 'em. They're alright if you like things soft' Don't usually have much time for either of em but that was a classic quote.

The song on the Vauxhall TV ad really sounds like a Charlatans track.
Always felt a bit bad for the Charlies -- because they started life as also-rans (in the media's eye, which did affect public opinion), no matter how brilliant a track they'd write, they wouldn't get the respect or sales that a sub-Charlatans track from a bigger band (*cough*Oasis*cough*) would.

i pre-ordered the album and am pretty up to date on everything that has been released, or due to be released.

i haven't heard an entire Beady Eye track but i'd rather go with NG, who i always wanted to have a solo album.

well, the first 'proper' review of the album's come through (Uncut, I think) and ... it gets a slating! 2/5.
odd, I'd pretty much swallowed all the hype, and quite liked the songs I'd heard so assumed it would be greeted with universal acclaim.
but, it's obviously only one review so we'll have to wait a bit longer to see how well received it'll be. I'll probably buy it regardless.
I don't think NME would dare to criticise it too much even if it is duff (perhaps they'd come down to a 7/10) as they rely pretty heavily on a good relationship with NG.

The song on the Vauxhall TV ad really sounds like a Charlatans track.
Always felt a bit bad for the Charlies -- because they started life as also-rans (in the media's eye, which did affect public opinion), no matter how brilliant a track they'd write, they wouldn't get the respect or sales that a sub-Charlatans track from a bigger band (*cough*Oasis*cough*) would.

Quite true King, The Charlatans second album was a cracker and ignored by so many. They were a band besieged by so many problems weren't they? Having one of your band members commit a robbery isn't something you'd expect to happen. After that they seem to just slowly fade away.

I guess it is out now as it has leaked... http://newalbumreleases.net/40448/noel-gallagher-noel-gallaghers-high-flying-birds-2011/
Downloading it now, will decide whether to buy later.
Dave

Reviews have been pretty good so far. I've mainly seen 4/5's. I'm gonna buy it next week (having never bought an Oasis album before). Be interesting to see what NME gives it. You could probably take off 2 points (out of 10) for their special relationship, which NME can't afford to jeopardise. I don't think they could risk giving it anything less than 8 (maybe a 7) but it'll need a 9 or 10 if they think it's a genuinely great album.

Out of 11 songs, only 3 I don't particularly like (and one of those is the first single). Other than that, a very good album.
Especially this:

Last edited by a moderator:
not shocked about this one:

Noel Gallagher says Oasis was ‘a sham’

Noel Gallagher is adamant his former band Oasis became a “sham” in later years because he had to pretend to be pals with his brother Liam onstage.

The Wonderwall hit makers split in 2009 after a backstage bust-up between the guitarist and his singer brother minutes before they were due to perform in Paris, France.

Gallagher admits he and Liam always struggled to remain on friendly terms throughout the history of the band – but he insists their relationship deteriorated so badly in the years before the break-up, it felt false to play gigs together.

He tells Britain’s Telegraph magazine, “There’s always a power struggle in a band, and when you’re young and daft and hopped up (sic) on drugs and alcohol, it can get violent. But when you’re all grown men with kids, it just doesn’t feel right.

“I found it quite undignified. We’re supposed to be the elder statesmen now! All this effing and blinding before gigs, and then going up and singing Live Forever. It was all a bit of a sham, really.”

– WENN Newsdesk

SOURCE

A number one in the album charts !!! i love the album and happy that twat singer of Oasis is gone ! Noel was the real brain !!!

Back
Top Bottom