Mystery Smiths Poster -- Where is this from??

S

Shadowplay

I bought this poster off Ebay for $6 and recently recieved it in the mail. It has no date or printing info on it at all (the writing at the bottom is band member info- it lists Johnny as Guitar AND piano)

Anyway, having never seen this before, i was wondering if anybody knows its origins? I'm guessing it's a promo for Louder Than Bombs, or one of those dealies where if you preordered their new LP, you'd get a free poster.

> Anyway, having never seen this before, i was wondering if anybody knows
> its origins? I'm guessing it's a promo for Louder Than Bombs, or one of
> those dealies where if you preordered their new LP, you'd get a free
> poster.

Haven't see it before.

They look pretty young on it.. Flowers as well, So, reckon it's more Hatful of Hollow era myself or after the Smiths debut.

Ruffian

Let me say this...Ive been to the conventions for about 6 years now...Ive never seen this poster ANYWHERE before in my life...you lucked out...keep it in good shape,take it off your walls and do not mess with it...you're sitting on a gold mine...I do remember there being some promo posters released for all of the smiths albums...this might be the one...you lucked out brutha.

ask the expert

If you all were not so ANTI, you could always ask good old HeatonMikeyMike at Morrissey Madness, who would know the answer immediately.

Well, it is very nice, and do what Proper said.

Enjoy it for a month, then take it off your wall, put in in a tube, and either get it framed someday, or hold on to it and sell it, later.

Look, if HeatonMikeyMike does not have it, and quite frankly he makes EIL look like doggy doo-doo, ya did good.

p.s. Geoff Travis would know too!!

Yeah.

I'm a little surprised there weren't more bids on it.

Sonofa-! Now i have to buy another freaking poster for my wall. I only gripe because shipping prices to Canada (poster wise) are usually much (much) higer.

Yes, that's an unusual one. Nice find.

As Ruffian said, based on the pictures it's definitely "Hatful of Hollow"-era, so 1984 or even early '85, perhaps put out just before "Meat Is Murder".

I'm guessing by the font of "The Smiths" that it's a poster given out by a magazine, perhaps as a free promo or something like that, because most (if not all) of the photos used in that appeared in magazine articles at various points. I'm assuming it's not a Rough Trade poster or you'd have said so. I would think it came from "Smash Hits" or something like that, especially considering the low bids.

I say that about the font because it's kind of a generic-looking typeface, and most of the promo stuff I've seen would've used a font taken right off the sleeve of a single or album, in this case probably one of the thick sans serif fonts on "Hatful of Hollow" or "Meat Is Murder". The font style is usually how I tell authentic RT stuff from copies on eBay. For example, the "Queen Is Dead" poster you see all over the place is a forgery, and the giveaway is that generic Times font "they" used instead of the tasteful (Bodini?) one Morrissey used on the actual record cover.

Your Font Arsenal

I love fonts!

And learning about fonts, the history and such!

I really really do!!

Thanks.

One entry found for Garamond.

Main Entry: Gar·a·mond
Pronunciation: 'gar-&-"mänd, "gar-&-'mOn
Variant(s): or Gar·a·mont /-"mänt, -'mOn/
Function: biographical name
Claude circa 1480-1561 French typefounder; perfected design of Roman type and introduced it (from 1531) to replace Gothic

Your Font Arsenal

I love fonts!

And learning about fonts, the history and such!

I really really do!!

Thanks.

One entry found for Garamond.

Main Entry: Gar·a·mond
Pronunciation: 'gar-&-"mänd, "gar-&-'mOn
Variant(s): or Gar·a·mont /-"mänt, -'mOn/
Function: biographical name
Claude circa 1480-1561 French typefounder; perfected design of Roman type and introduced it (from 1531) to replace Gothic