• no

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • about the same

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I don't know

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Depends... Spike Lee would probably say no but agree with me that Robby's cat's name carries racist overtones coming from a white male. If you take a look at Robbies original post he uses his standard emoticons to express shock that his black cat was named Spooky or Spook for short.

Robby is about 38. He Was born in a time period when the word Spook was used as a derrogatory synonym for the word "n****r" (I think David T banned the use of that word in all settings.)

It would be racist to name my dog 'moulinyan' even if I loved eggplant and the dog was black because 'moulinyan' is a racist term for blacks that was used by Italians.

On a side note... I move to ban Robby's cat from Morrissey Solo on the grounds that his cat is racist and we don't need any of that around here.

Robby's cat should not be welcomed with open arms.

Re:

Depends... Spike Lee would probably say no but agree with me that Robby's cat's name carries racist overtones coming from a white male. If you take a look at Robbies original post he uses his standard emoticons to express shock that his black cat was named Spooky or Spook for short.

Robby is about 38. He Was born in a time period when the word Spook was used as a derrogatory synonym for the word "n****r" (I think David T banned the use of that word in all settings.)

It would be racist to name my dog 'moulinyan' even if I loved eggplant and the dog was black because 'moulinyan' is a racist term for blacks that was used by Italians.

On a side note... I move to ban Robby's cat from Morrissey Solo on the grounds that his cat is racist and we don't need any of that around here.

Robby's cat should not be welcomed with open arms.

I don't like Robby very much, but it's simply sad to see you come here to taunt him.

It's not the cat's fault to have a name which implies a derogatory meaning.

All users are allowed to post racist remarks in the pigsty, but not other parts of the forums.

Re:

I don't like Robby very much, but it's simply sad to see you come here to taunt him.

It's not a cat's fault to have a name which implies a derogatory meaning.

All users are allowed to post racist remarks in the pigsty, but not other parts of the forums.
like many here, I feel the same way about you Kewpie dear :blushing::p
but thx for your support :thumb: :rolleyes:
as for my cat called Spook/y, umm, I was like 7 or something when we had him :straightface:
racism had 0 to do with it, jeezo mineezo! :eek:

Re:

It's not the cat's fault to have a name which implies a derogatory meaning.

Not really a taunting of Robbie per say. Kewpie in the American language there are lots of innuendos and metaphors used for African Americans.
  • "Spook" was a dominant term used during the early to mid seventies as is easily seen on some of the television programming of the time such as the American version of "All in the Family."
  • Robby was born in the early 70's and grew up during this time period.
  • He makes claim that the black cat's name was originally Spooky but shortened to "Spook".
  • On top of that he uses emoticons to express that he himself is shocked by this.

It leads me to believe that they (whoever actually named the cat) nicknamed the black cat 'Spook' with some racist overtone and Robby was telling this to us in some form of a shock value.

Re:

Oh I thought the emoticon was just an impassive face - with that straight line for a mouth. But now that I think about it, why would there be an emoticon for "impassive"? Well I guess it could happen. Now I'm just confused.

Can we all simply agree that the black cat in the photo upthread is very cute? OK. The healing has begun.

Re:

Actually, if you had a black person that you called Spooky, that could be considered racist, but Black Cats are SPOOKY. Spooky showed up right before Halloween three years ago and I named him Spooky. He was a kitten.

1ragjt.jpg

349fmlv.jpg

Spooky lives at a shop where I work and one day there were two older black ladies there. One was looking at jewelry and her friend was 15 feet away looking at something else. Spooky climbed into the display case. He likes to relax in there. So I said "Spooky, get out of there," and the lady that was a distance off says "What did he say? They laughed that the cat is named Spooky, but she did hear the word and it did perk up her ears. I just thought it was a good name for a Halloween cat.

Re:

Robby, I hear you have a bunny named "Jungle" and a baby named "Tar"...can you confirm this?

Re:

Oh! The cuteness! And I'm not even a cat person. Very, very sweet kitty.

My black cat is called Stella, and she came in a shoe box.

today was hard day to be me :straightface: I went down for one of my walks in the dry river bed and the heat was unbearable, over 100 degrees! :eek:
it took me 3 hours to go about a mile & a half, then back :crazy:
no more "Mojave River Adventures" for me for a while :cool:

today was hard day to be me :straightface: I went down for one of my walks in the dry river bed and the heat was unbearable, over 100 degrees! :eek:
it took me 3 hours to go about a mile & a half, then back :crazy:
no more "Mojave River Adventures" for me for a while :cool:

Yeah, that's usually what happens to fat slobs, Robby...

Tags
gives hug trubzsux
Back
Top Bottom