My PIX from Morrissey In Florida

SomeTotallyRandomMozFan

MudSpelledBackwardsIsDum
Party People,

My pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaytando/sets/72157600904995640/

What a fun week in Florida!!

My friend Andrea in Philly invited me out to the Sunshine State to meet up with her in Jupiter, Florida where her family has a home- and from there we set off on an adventure to see MORRISSEY play 4 shows in 4 cities over 5 days!

I flew into West Palm Beach on Wednesday evening and Andrea took me to her family's incredible house- 3 bedrooms and still very new- only visited once before! We stocked up for the journey and off to bed!

Thursday morning I went for a quick 3-mile run in the beautiful neighborhood and we then had brunch at a neat cafe in Jupiter and were on our way to Clearwater's Ruth Eckard Hall- about 3 hours drive NW!

We arrived early and actually snuck into the soundcheck to hear a couple songs. We then met Chloe and Greg - 2 locals also traveliong to several shows. Later Jeff the drummer for Kristeen Young came out and met us. Boz Boorer also came out for a quick handshake right before the show. We were front row and with no barrier we were RIGHT ON the stage. The best! I snuck in my camera and took a hundred pix! Kristeen Young greeted the fans after her set- she is he sweetest. I must say her music has really grown on me and I am now a big fan! Morrissey came on and saw Andrea and I and smiled and shook our hands - the first of many hand grabs throughout the evening! INCREDIBLE show! Easily one of the best shows for me ever!

Before and after the show we met many of the "Irregular Regulars" from all over the world that travel to EVERY show. I recognized a few I had seen over the years and was introduced to some new friends that we would all be hanging out with in line before, in the front during, and after-parties at all the 4 shows we went to: Julia from Mass., Mike, Andy and Chris from England, Catie from North Carolina, and Adam from Atlanta. We also met Suzanne the girl from New York who actually got onstage and hugged Morrissey- very sweet girl!

The drive home flew by we were on such a high. I called all my "Moz friends" to share the news. It was cool to be 3 hours ahead of most of them so it wasnt too late to give them a word's-eye view of the evening!

Friday we slept in and went shopping, dined, and later had a late dinner with my freind Paul who I knew in Seattle, WA. He now lives 5 blocks from Andrea's family home in Jupiter so that was conveniant- and ironic because 5 days earlier we had dinner in Santa Monica, CA while he was in town for a wedding! We walked over to the baseball stadium and watched the end of the local minor league team game. Beautiful field.

Saturday I went for a 4 mile run and then we drove down to Boca Raton's Mizner Park Amphitheater and saw the soundcheck at the outdoor venue. Moz was not singing it but the band played "The Last of Famous International Playboys" and I sang the lead vocals from the sidewalk of the outdoor shopping mall outside. Soooo Boca. We then met up with Catie and I met Fannie from France, and Nancy from New York at their local hotel where I took a quick dip in the pool and got a great massage treatment from massage therapist Catie (no, I did not get a "happy ending" - she's legitimate hehehe)

At the show we had front row seats but it meant nothing as the moment Kristeen Young ended the crowd rushed up to the barrier and created a Pit in front of our front row seats. I was in the restroom when it happned (of course) but I did manage to work my way up to be just behind Andrea on the barrier rail. It was STEAMY HOT that night outside and Moz was soaked after the opening song and the rest of night he looked like he was singing in a sauna. Andrea met a guy on her plane ride down from Philly named Mathew who caught Morrissey's shirt and for once nobody ripped it to shreds- he has the whole thing- save for a button he shared with Catie. After the show I ran into Melinda from L.A. and Michelle from Miami- who I had met in L.A. a few years ago- very cool to randomly see her!

We then drove the short 45 minutes back to Jupiter and caught a few hours' sleep before heading out to Orlando for the fist of the 2 dreaded "General Admission" shows. This meant Andrea HAD to be in the front of the lhe to esnure we got in first to get a great spot at the front! She is a SPITFIRE! ;^)

We arrived after a 3-1/2 hour drive at the Universal Cirty walk enrance @ 7:30 AM Sunday and waited about 30 minutes for them to open the gates. We were the very first in line at the Hard Rock Live @ 8 AM ;^)

Soon we saw Chloe, her mom and Greg, then Melinda, and then Jay J. from Orlando met us with his friend Amanda. We were happily tailgating in the shade and then security moved our line into the blazing hot sun at 10 AM - so at this point about 25 "Irregular Regulars" had shown up, including Eduardo from Phoenix, Julian from L.A., Barbara from Arizona, and Rachel from Chicago. We quickly decided the fairest way to handle it was to do what they did in the U.K. and make a list of when you showed up in line and have a rotation of people hold our spots in line for us. Then it got scewed up again when the Hard Rock announced that if you bought an "All Access" pass for an additinal $13 bucks each you would get into the front of the line past regular admission tickets. We all bought it so we would keep or spots at the front. So we all were able to then take a break and see the Citywalk. Or get trashed pounding jagerbombs in the bar like we did ;^) Then it started POURING RAIN. And unfortunately some of the people whose turn it was to hold the spots didn't- but fortunately a very patient and giving local Orlando soul kept the list and line on order for us. Bless him. Then as we drew closer the list magically dissappeared. Some people later bickered about their spots in line but hey that's politics. We tried our best to be fair to everyone. We all got up front anyway after a long wait when doors finally opened at 7 PM. All the waiting and lack of sleep and drama was worth it once the show began and adrenaline took over!

Catie, Melinda, Fanny and Nancy's Orlando hotel room had been overbooked the night before so to make up for it they moved them to the amazing PENTHOUSE SUITE- that was the party site for about a dozen "Irregularr Regulars" after the show ;^) It was really cool to hang with all of the die hards who had been travelling to EVERY show on this tour- and surreal that here we all were hanging out- but with no Morrissey- just his music in the background. Thanks again Catie for the invite!

Monday was a much-needed rest day in Jupiter where we did laundry and slept like the dead. At midnight I got up and ran 3 miles to the local Jupiter Warriors high school football stadium. Amazing. I had brought my camera but I stupidly forgot that the batteries were recharging at the house- but it was okay I did my best "Rocky" sprint to the top of the stadium steps anyway. Lots of rabbits and frogs out in Jupiter at night!

A few hourse later we were on the road to Jacksonville's Morrocco Shrine Auditorium. We arrived after about 4 hours at 8 AM and Juilan and Carlos had been there since the night before! Andrew from Dallas, TX was third in line and he beat us by about 10 minutes hehehe. This one was easier as it was in the shade the entire day for us. We later met Denise from L.A., Ethan (16) and Suzanne (his Mom) from Kansas City, MO, Vivian and Brian from Talahassee, and John from El Paso. Of course during one of the few bathroom breaks we did Morrissey soundchecked a brand new song called "I Want To Throw My Arms Around Paris" - TWICE! But hey we got to hear it later at the show anyway ;^)

I will really miss that "Irregular Regular" gang as everyone shared everything- ordering pizzas and just chatting all day long to make the time fly by. It's always such a rush when the they finally let us in and we all get up to the front of the barrier together. These shows and these fellow fans I will remeber forever!

The rumor was that Moz and the band were a bit hungover afer their own party in Orlando the night before- but they still were all incredible! The new song sounded great - and for the first time in a long while they closed the show with the Smith's classic "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". What a fantatsic closure to my final show!

We later went to Adam and Denise's hotel and hung out with them and Catie and Andrew but then everything caught up to me and I just zonked out. They got a bite to eat and a couple hours later they woke me up and Andrea and I went to our cheap Jacksonville hotel near the Airport (how cheap was it? They stole MY towel!) hehehe just kidding but hey it was comfy bed!

I took Andrea to the Airport in the morning and she was off back to Philly. I had an evening flight back to L.A. so I had lunch with my friend Ron B. who I have been playing Internet computer Football with for several years- but had never met in person. Great guy. Then off to the Airport for more drama! My flight was delayed so I almost missed my connecting flight in Houston - I literally sprinted to my gate just in time and barely made it back to Moz Angeles ;^)

Special thanks to Andrea for being a wonderful host and traveling companion in Florida! Luv ya!!

And thanks to MORRISSEY for the great shows!!

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited:
sik cant wait for moz to come to uk innit

Jay!! You had indeed the time of your life and how would've I liked to be there!!

I have to tell you that after seeing you in pictures I think I might have a crush on you... You are incredibly good looking and the Morrissey quiff suits wonderfully... :blushes:

:D

Thanks for that!! :)

I saw your friend Andrea after the show when I went to the Hard Rock Cafe and saw her with ther yellow Mozfather shirt and I was gonna ask her where she got it, but we were in a hurry.:)

Jay!! You had indeed the time of your life and how would've I liked to be there!!

I have to tell you that after seeing you in pictures I think I might have a crush on you... You are incredibly good looking and the Morrissey quiff suits wonderfully... :blushes:

:D

why thank you :)

I love your picture as well- your blonde hair is beautiful ;)

*hugs* from Moz Angeles,

Jay

Thanks for that!! :)

I saw your friend Andrea after the show when I went to the Hard Rock Cafe and saw her with ther yellow Mozfather shirt and I was gonna ask her where she got it, but we were in a hurry.:)

Andrea made all of the Morrissey T-Shirts we wore on the trip- she gave me 5 different styles!! They were complemented on at every show!! :)

She is even making more for the Philly and New Jesrey shows :D

Best,

Jay

Thanks for the pics Jay.

p.s. you might not remember me but we hung out together after the austin show, I was the one with the Old Your Arsenal Tour shirt that you liked, but anyways i was just curious how all the shows compare to austin... so... tell me!

Thanks for the pics Jay.

p.s. you might not remember me but we hung out together after the austin show, I was the one with the Old Your Arsenal Tour shirt that you liked, but anyways i was just curious how all the shows compare to austin... so... tell me!

Hello barenstank,

Well the Austin show we got there right before Moz took the stage and we had about 20 rows of people in front of us. It was a fantastic one and because the video was not working I recall Moz saying he would play 2 extra songs for us :)

For the Florida shows we were always right in the very front so it was a different experience- but of course Moz's performance has always been great at every show- regardless of how close I have been over the years!!

Cheers,

Jay

Hey Jay,
Thank you for remembering so eloquently (and with pictures!) what I was too "high" to recall. This has truly been a life-changing odyssey. Edouardo and I are taking off for Philly as we speak. Trip, Grace, Catie, and... everybody :) are talking about crashing together.

Last night in MB he mentioned all of us IRs again. Adam registered the domain, expect a PM/email soon.

I will see you in far off places! (or, you know, LA)

Denise :)

PS EXCELLENT PICS!

Hey Jay,
Thank you for remembering so eloquently (and with pictures!) what I was too "high" to recall. This has truly been a life-changing odyssey. Edouardo and I are taking off for Philly as we speak. Trip, Grace, Catie, and... everybody :) are talking about crashing together.

Last night in MB he mentioned all of us IRs again. Adam registered the domain, expect a PM/email soon.

I will see you in far off places! (or, you know, LA)

Denise :)

PS EXCELLENT PICS!

Denise- thank YOU for being so awesome to hang out with! :D

I miss everyone so much! :(

I was very close to paying $600 airfare and flying to Philly for the final 2 shows- but work would have frowned on taking 3 more days off after just spending a week in Florida!

I will be thinking of all of you!

*HUGS* from Moz Angeles,

Jay

Back
Top Bottom