My new single just arrived and.....

Does anyone else think that the live version of The Last of The Famous International Playboys is absolutely awful?

Its tuneless.

I am not the biggest fan of recorded live material at the best of times as I dont really think it comes over like it does when you are there, but this really did not work for me at all. I've always really liked this song and had to switch this off because it really sounded poor to me.

I know I risk being shot for saying this but I just wondered if I was alone in thinking that this particular version (given its real lack of tune) was a very odd choice for a b-side.

I really like the single though, I didn't know about it when I first heard it but listened to it on Jonathan Ross last night, on the Mozzer website too and having blasted it out on the stereo this morning I really like it. Would have been happier without the wailing at the begining but other than that Its a great tune.

I am at your mercy...... Be kind, I am merely stating an opinion.

Does anyone else think that the live version of The Last of The Famous International Playboys is absolutely awful?

Its tuneless.

I am not the biggest fan of recorded live material at the best of times as I dont really think it comes over like it does when you are there, but this really did not work for me at all. I've always really liked this song and had to switch this off because it really sounded poor to me.

I know I risk being shot for saying this but I just wondered if I was alone in thinking that this particular version (given its real lack of tune) was a very odd choice for a b-side.

I really like the single though, I didn't know about it when I first heard it but listened to it on Jonathan Ross last night, on the Mozzer website too and having blasted it out on the stereo this morning I really like it. Would have been happier without the wailing at the begining but other than that Its a great tune.

I am at your mercy...... Be kind, I am merely stating an opinion.

I can't say anything substantial since I don't have the cd yet, but what you said about recorded live material in general, I couldn't agree more. :)

And I totally agree with you on That's how people grow up too.

Don't be shy to say your opinion! :D Could've been a lot worse....

I know how harsh people can be if you dare to question the quiffed one and I know I have left myself wide open to abuse.

Thank you for your words though.

I think I should just add that I have been a Morrissey fan all of his solo career, and a smiths fan since the queen is dead was released. (I was in the third year at senior school when it came out so what preceeded it was before I was aware of the band unfortunatley. They didnt tend to play smiths songs in school discos for 12 yr olds!)

I have seen morrissey more times live than I can recall, but every single solo tour that has been in the UK I have been to at least one gig. So I love Morrissey live too. I just think this track does not transfer at all to a record.

When you have listened to yours I would like to know your thoughts.

Cheers

I think it was an odd choice to put a live track on that single in the first place. I would have preferred another new studio track, or maybe an old but yet unreleaed track.

I know how harsh people can be if you dare to question the quiffed one and I know I have left myself wide open to abuse.

Thank you for your words though.

I think I should just add that I have been a Morrissey fan all of his solo career, and a smiths fan since the queen is dead was released. (I was in the third year at senior school when it came out so what preceeded it was before I was aware of the band unfortunatley. They didnt tend to play smiths songs in school discos for 12 yr olds!)

I have seen morrissey more times live than I can recall, but every single solo tour that has been in the UK I have been to at least one gig. So I love Morrissey live too. I just think this track does not transfer at all to a record.

When you have listened to yours I would like to know your thoughts.

Cheers

Hah, rest assured I'll let you know! ;)

I think it was an odd choice to put a live track on that single in the first place. I would have preferred another new studio track, or maybe an old but yet unreleaed track.

It is odd indeed. Why would they do that? Whose decision was it? Why that song, if they had to chose a live song? Ow, an awful lot of questions I have...:confused:

I got mine about 5 mins ago, what is more scary is the picture on the cover of the 7", the one with "why dont you find out for yourself" as the B Side, I mean what a state, and whats with the scanky cardboard cover on the cd? Last time it was a plastic one, cheapskates

Sorry, still moaning lol

During Playboys at 2:30 it sounds like an electric drill is cutting in, i didnt know Morrissey was into the old Black and Decker haha

Just received mine too. Not yet listened to any of them but quite like the packaging but not the choice of pictures for the sleeves. All three have inner sleeves which is a nice touch too. Only got the email to say they were posted yesterday and wasn't expecting them before Monday at the earliest.

i really like the live version, especially his lyrical change to 'in our lifetime those who kill, FOX NEWS hands them stardom'
i mean: how gorgeous is that?? :D

but maybe it's just because i got my first handshake during that very song :sweet:

I am glad opionion on this is divided. Pleased some people will get some pleasure out of the track and not feel as I did.

have to agree its awful....but it sounds great on the roundhouse bootleg strange choice indeed.

Maybe its just the mix but the lead guitar seems missing, there is no Umph to it at all.

Just took out the cd is everyone elses cd black and I meant the back of the cd? Never saw such a thing before. Looks like the NME Songs to save your life cd in that it has a retro 7 inch design.

From the styling point of view, I like that cardboard sleeve and the inner sleeve. Looks exactly like a vinyl single. But I'm afraid that it will wear off very easily. I have to take good care of that cd!

Back
Top Bottom