My new single just arrived and.....

I picked up the new single yesterday and I can't help feeling a little short changed and disappointed. OK it's always great to have any new Moz material and I will always buy it no matter what, I have to. But as is always the case nowadays, the song is anything but a new song, Ive already heard and know it word for word, not that Im knocking the song, I do like it, but by the time of purchase it's anything but a new song and there's no anticipation or surprise in the new single, it's a bit like listening to any other old song in my Moz collection. There is not even the thrill of going out to get it just for the B-side as has been the case in the past.

As for the B-sides, I am very disappointed that they are nothing more than space fillers, filled with live versions and as the original poster says, the version of Playboys is not very good, it's a half hearted attempt and doesn't compare to any live versions I have ever heard from years gone by. The versions of that song from the early nineties concerts are much more superior and emotional. Even on some of the not such good quality bootlegs from back then, you can here a much more enjoyable and charged version of that song. I have to admit I haven't yet listened to the other live B-sides as they are on 7'' vinyl and i only bought these for the collection.

Now I know some people will disagree but I feel a little bit ripped off by all this. Why when there are several new songs out there that we know of, isn't there at least one other new song on the new single. I hate to say this but it's lazy and a rip off. Now it could well be down to the record company and not Moz but surly he must have some say in it and realise that he is short changing the fans, some of which would go to the ends of the earth for him, sticking with him through the good and the bad times in his career.

As for the new compilation, what a total rip off. The track listing is very poor and pretty much just rehashes the last two albums. With the sly tactic of putting two new songs on it, or one, now the single has been released. I guess the new best of is no surprise and I imagine every new record deal will have to include the condition of a best of... purely to make money. My advice is to not buy it straight away and wait a year for it to dramatically drop in price as is always the case, I bet you will be able to pick it up for less than a fiver in a years time. I recently saw 'Ringleader of...' for £3.99 in selectadisc. Plus why rush out and buy something that you've already and more than likely already have every track on it.

Don't get me wrong I do like the new song but can't help feeling a bit ripped off. I even feel ripped off by last nights appearance on Jonathan Ross, having to sit through the hole show just to be very disappointed there was no interview and sitting through it to listen and watch a quite un emotional performance.

Regarding the Greatest Hits album, I'm a little disappointed that there are only eight tracks on the bonus disc. Even if the whole show wouldn't fit on one disc, he should have used the full capacity of 80 minutes that a cd has.

having live songs for a b-side was already cool on the "BOY RACER"and less good (but only because the choice of the songs not so bad) on the "IJWTSTBH"

having them again,and to remind you this is the first single after IJWTSTBH is a bit boring
i dont know for you,but i heard nearly hundreds versions of LOTFIP and this is totally mistaken---
MAN GIVE US SOMETHING NEW!!!!
(but take this with hold,because in my opinion it wasn't the morrissey who chosed songs this time,label did)correct me if i'm wrong
we can just hope next single wich i would be glad to see ALL YOU NEED is me would have at least 2 new songs
(i wouldnt mind any cover songs):D

i really like the live version, especially his lyrical change to 'in our lifetime those who kill, FOX NEWS hands them stardom'
i mean: how gorgeous is that?? :D

but maybe it's just because i got my first handshake during that very song :sweet:

Me too. Were we at the same show? ;)

But as is always the case nowadays, the song is anything but a new song, Ive already heard and know it word for word, not that Im knocking the song, I do like it, but by the time of purchase it's anything but a new song and there's no anticipation or surprise in the new single, it's a bit like listening to any other old song in my Moz collection. There is not even the thrill of going out to get it just for the B-side as has been the case in the past.

That's why I haven't listened to any of the new songs on youtube or elsewhere. I wanted to have the real thing. ;)

Will anyone be able to upload the B side "why dont you find out for yourself" ?

I dont have a record player, it was great live at the Roundhouse so just wanted to see what it sounded like on the single :)

Just took out the cd is everyone elses cd black and I meant the back of the cd? Never saw such a thing before. Looks like the NME Songs to save your life cd in that it has a retro 7 inch design.

i'm wondering if that is the reason why my mac won't recognize the disc?
any other mac useres got the same problem??

the live version of playboys has a HORRRRRRIBBBLLLLEEEEEE synth part in it that sounds like a bad b-movie.

Not having received my copies yet I can still say that most bootleg versions of the songs are awful, however the synth part is not that dominating live in my opinion and doesn't ruin the whole song.

Even though Mike Farrell* is gone for the moment "Sweetie-Pie" still lurks there in the darkness behind the stage...

Last edited:
Regarding the Greatest Hits album, I'm a little disappointed that there are only eight tracks on the bonus disc. Even if the whole show wouldn't fit on one disc, he should have used the full capacity of 80 minutes that a cd has.

I posted a similar carp about this a while ago.

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=744341&postcount=74

Clearly, if the night in question had other solo songs to choose from, why repeat titles that are already on the Greatest Hits disc? Even something as minor as this would be a better deal for us die-hards who haplessly choose to buy everything. The four other solo songs available from that night are ones that, arguably, many fans would consider for "best of." It could have been all things to everyone with more judicious choices.

Cheers,

Jamie

Does anyone else think that the live version of The Last of The Famous International Playboys is absolutely awful?

Its tuneless.

I am not the biggest fan of recorded live material at the best of times as I dont really think it comes over like it does when you are there, but this really did not work for me at all. I've always really liked this song and had to switch this off because it really sounded poor to me.

I know I risk being shot for saying this but I just wondered if I was alone in thinking that this particular version (given its real lack of tune) was a very odd choice for a b-side.

I really like the single though, I didn't know about it when I first heard it but listened to it on Jonathan Ross last night, on the Mozzer website too and having blasted it out on the stereo this morning I really like it. Would have been happier without the wailing at the begining but other than that Its a great tune.

I am at your mercy...... Be kind, I am merely stating an opinion.

I guess live version are just for people that have listened to Morrissey for so long and can decipher between the little differences and be all excited by them :)

So I'm probably gonna get mauled for this here, but if no one wants to post the live version of playboys, would some kind soul upload it and send it to me in a PM? im really curious about it since it's my favorite Moz solo song of all and people are saying the live version is terrible .. very interested to hear it. And as i've mentioned before, im in Australia so I can't just pop down to the local store and buy the single because everyone here thinks Morrissey is a fashion designer ... I do have the album on order though

So I'm probably gonna get mauled for this here, but if no one wants to post the live version of playboys, would some kind soul upload it and send it to me in a PM? im really curious about it since it's my favorite Moz solo song of all and people are saying the live version is terrible .. very interested to hear it. And as i've mentioned before, im in Australia so I can't just pop down to the local store and buy the single because everyone here thinks Morrissey is a fashion designer ... I do have the album on order though

You can always download the bootleg of the whole show, which, even though it's not as cleaned up as the officially released version, is still pretty damn good, IMHO. "Playboys" is definitely not one of the standout performances from that night.

Oh I have that bootleg, but was still hoping to hear the cleaned up produced version .. especially because if nothing else the quality of the recent live version he's done has been amazing, the production on Earl's Court and the live B'sides since like Late Night.. and Speedway have been flawless ... so I was itching for a great quality version playboys .. so I'm just curious now after the flak it's copping.

I guess live version are just for people that have listened to Morrissey for so long and can decipher between the little differences and be all excited by them :)

I have listened to morrissey for many many years, and I love the little changes in the songs, they make me laugh and i do like them. This version of this song however, lyric changes aside, is awful. Musically it is terrible.

Whining, grumbling, complaining...:sick:
I'm tired of your whining, folks!

winking0015.gif

*goes offline to put some Mozzer music on*

Back
Top Bottom