'My love, I'd do anything for you' - first impressions?

I really love it. It sounds to me like a cross between ABC on their difficult second album Beauty Stab (even down to the socio-political lyrics) and 90s all girl goth grunge group Jack Off Jill. Which is of course excellent.

The recurring "duh-duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh-duh, duh duh" riff really seems familiar. It does sound like a Black Sabbath riff (or some other guitar heavy band), but it is not in the Sabbath songs already posted (unless I missed it). Any ideas?

I'll believe you. It definetly holds the sound right before the song starts so it's obviously not a totally natural sound. I wonder if we'll hear the trumpet a bit more on record. Adds a weird element to the sound

oh no, you mustn't :rofl:

it's trumpet! :rofl:

i surrender :)

It reads somewhat like a thematic update to You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side. He seems to be saying that things are now so bad that he and the "you" need each other equally.

It’s ok, edgy tune in comparison to the slower stuff on the album. But in truth It’s a case of convincing myself to like the new material more than I actually do, simply because it’s morrissey. If these songs were by any other artist I wouldn’t give them a second listen, cos they just arnt that good.

Fantastic.

First go at the lyrics:

Teach your kids
to recognize and despise
all the propaganda

Built to doubt (?)
by the dead echelon's (?)
mainstream media

[Chorus]
Hey hey hey
you know me well
my love I'd do anything for you
Society's hell
you need me just like I need you

Weren't we all (?)
born to mourn and to yawn at the occupation
that invades every day of our lives
we can't live with the waste (?)

[Chorus x 2]

We all go our own way
separately, in the same direction
And here am I
every night of my life
always missing someone

I'd like to be blotted out
just before I become aware of the pain.
The more I wish in my heart for someone
the less likely they come.

.... Edits and corrections welcome.

we can't live with the waste (?) --- we can't live as we wish

Judging from the title I thought it'd be a much softer song, a ballad like "Home Is A Question Mark." It's not that.
There's also a line in it about 'mainstream media,' because he didn't sufficiently cover that in "Spent the Day in Bed."
At least he didn't say "lamestream."
5378295992_19a4734451_z2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom