'My Hurling Days are Done' question

A

Anonymous

So - in what context do people think the word 'hurling' is being used in this song?

Hurling - as in throwing stuff? Which would make sense in terms of the phrase 'Don't throw your toys out of the pram'. Is Morrissey/the narrator telling us they have grown out of this stage? Or hurling, as in being sick? Which is also something babies do quite a bit. Has the narrator given up drinking, or being sick of things?

Both could work, but any preferences? Or am I missing another usage of the word?

Hurling yourself at someone

Oh, nice - I didn't think of that. Though I am struggling a bit to connect it to the childhood imagery of the chorus.
I see it in the same way as the lyrics of Southpaw, failed at love runs back to ma. A recoiling form adulthood with a return to childhood. Thematically Morrissey has touched on this quite a bit in the past.

Hurling is a popular Irish sport you have to be fit & young to play. So, I think the song's about feeling old & out of choices.

hurling.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
...and what about The Funky Alfonzo?

...and what about The Funky Alfonzo?

Famous When Dead tracked that down!

It seems to be from a Frank Zappa song - that seems to be innuendo about a priest & a leprechaun ?!?

Get on your feet an' do the funky Alfonzo!
Father Vivian O'Blivion
Resplendent in his frock
Was whipping up the batter
For the pancakes of his flock
He was looking rather bleary
(He forgot to watch the clock)
'Cause the night before
Behind the door
A leprechaun had stroked, yes . . .
The night before
Behind the door
A leprechaun had stroked (he stroked it) . . .
The night before
Behind the door
A leprechaun had stroked . . . his . . .
Sma-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ahhh (stroked his smock)
Which set him off in such a frenzy
He sang LOCK AROUND THE CROCK
An' he topped it off with a . . .
WOO WOO WOO
WOO WOO WOO
WOO WOO WOO
As he stumbled on his cock
He was delighted as it stiffened
And ripped right through his sock
Oh, Saint Alfonzo would be proud of me
PROUD OF ME
He shouted down the block
Dominus vobiscum
Et cum spiritu tuo
Won't you eat my sleazy pancakes
Just for Saintly Alfonzo
They're so light 'n fluffy-white
We'll raise a fortune by tonite
They're so light 'n fluffy-brown
They're the finest in the town
Good morning, your Highness
Ooo-ooo-ooo
I brought you your snow shoes
Ooo-ooo-ooo
Ooo-ooo-ooo

Famous When Dead tracked that down!

It seems to be from a Frank Zappa song - that seems to be innuendo about a priest & a leprechaun ?!?

Get on your feet an' do the funky Alfonzo!
Father Vivian O'Blivion
Resplendent in his frock
Was whipping up the batter
For the pancakes of his flock
He was looking rather bleary
(He forgot to watch the clock)
'Cause the night before
Behind the door
A leprechaun had stroked, yes . . .
The night before
Behind the door
A leprechaun had stroked (he stroked it) . . .
The night before
Behind the door
A leprechaun had stroked . . . his . . .
Sma-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ah-ah-ah
Ahhh (stroked his smock)
Which set him off in such a frenzy
He sang LOCK AROUND THE CROCK
WOO WOO WOO
WOO WOO WOO
WOO WOO WOO
As he stumbled on his cock
He was delighted as it stiffened
And ripped right through his sock
Oh, Saint Alfonzo would be proud of me
PROUD OF ME
He shouted down the block
Dominus vobiscum
Et cum spiritu tuo
Won't you eat my sleazy pancakes
Just for Saintly Alfonzo
Ooo-ooo-ooo
Ooo-ooo-ooo
Ooo-ooo-ooo

I wonder what the connection is. It’s not an obvious thematic link.

I wonder what the connection is. It’s not an obvious thematic link.

slang terms for sex acts? The first verse has shaft, the second, bend over & the third, funky alfonzo.

Maybe it's a version of you're born, you live & you die. Except Moz has always seemed to think that after childhood he didn't really live - he drifted & yearned for things he didn't get. And now he's into old age & time is running out. Or feels like it is.

slang terms for sex acts? The first verse has shaft, the second, bend over & the third, funky alfonzo.

Maybe it's a version of you're born, you live & you die. Except Moz has always seemed to think that after childhood he didn't really live - he drifted & yearned for things he didn't get. And now he's into old age & time is running out. Or feels like it is.
Yes, I suppose you’re right. It is interesting that Morrissey has crossed his penchant for innuendos with musings on mortality. The two don’t normally sit together in the same song.

Yes I agree, he's using a reference to his Irish roots to look at a part of the past that he's no longer physically able to do. I personally used to play football into my mid thirties, I'm now mid fifties and unable to play anymore but I often look back and wish I could, that stage of my life is behind me and I can't relive it. Once I Saw The River Clean seems very similar thematically and I love the fact that he mentions his "Mama" and "Grandmother" over both songs, very very touching.

So a 'funky alfonso' is a sexual move where a leprachaun strokes your smock, tops it off with a woo-woo, and then your cock rips through your sock? Damn - I thought it was a male hygene problem, like "Robert- you've got a really funky alfonso - go and wash it". :squiffy:

So a 'funky alfonso' is a sexual move where a leprachaun strokes your smock, tops it off with a woo-woo, and then your cock rips through your sock? Damn - I thought it was a male hygene problem, like "Robert- you've got a really funky alfonso - go and wash it". :squiffy:
Filthy monkey!!!?

with respect to all hairdressers that might go out of business due to the coronavirus.MY CURLING DAYS ARE DONE.

Are you saying Robert's to wash his Funky Alfonso hairdo or his Funky Alfonso wee willy winkie?

It's a cracking piece of music. Melancholic but rousing. Sounds a bit like a Sundays song - My Finest Hour?

It's a cracking piece of music. Melancholic but rousing. Sounds a bit like a Sundays song - My Finest Hour?
Love The Sundays, closest sound to The Smiths I've heard, great layered guitars and melancholic vibe plus cracking singer.

I assumed it meant his days of measuring himself are done. Kinda like running hurling is a sport where you don’t have to compete against anyone but yourself and I guess environment

I assumed it meant his days of measuring himself are done. Kinda like running hurling is a sport where you don’t have to compete against anyone but yourself and I guess environment
Well it's a team sport and your up against another team in a pretty physical and sometimes violent sport so don't agree there.

Back
Top Bottom