My encounter with Morrissey

Wozzer

The basis of life revolves around being at the right place at the right time and I'm one lucky son-of-a-gun. Here's what happened:

I went to see Morrissey play Hovet, Stockholm last night and today while taking the boat back to Finland something truly bizarre took place. Tour of refusal has a few gigs in Finland, but for some reason it never even crossed my mind that Morrissey and the lot would take the boat to Turku (especially a boat as tacky as Viking Line). Well, I was wandering around the boat, looking for a quiet place (far away as bossible from the nasty little children) to read Sylvia Plaths The Jarr Bell and suddenly saw Arturro on the stairway. The first impulse was to follow him and so I did. I found Morrissey on the outerdeck surrounded by bandmembers, enjoying some drinks in the warm sunshine. The mind was racing at this point.

I sat down and observed this quite unreal situation for a minute or two and then made my move. The seat next to Morrissey became vacant (I think it was Tobias sitting there, can't be sure tough) and Arturro was deep in conversation at another table so I aproached him. There has to be a thing called intuition for I had a marker in my bag just for this kinda confrontation.

I think the dialog went something like this:

(me shyly aproaching Morrissey) Sorry to disturb you but can you sign something?

(Morrissey, very receptive) Sure, sure.

(a lady sitting near to him, friend or manager of some sort?) It depends on what you want him so sign. That was meant for a joke, I think.

(I take my copy of Jarr Bell and show it to Morrissey) It's a book by Sylvia Plaith. Have you read it? It's good.

(Morrissey) Of course, of course.

(I fumble with my marker, first trying to open it from the wrong end and give it to Morrissey)

(Morrissey flipping the pages) Where do you want me to write it?

(Me with heart beating like hell and legs barely there) Just put it on the cover.

(the woman gave amused laugh next to me as Morrissey scribbles his name on the book)

(the woman looks at me) We are having a quiet time right now.

(Morrissey comes to my defence) Oh he knows, he knows.

(me) I'll see you at Tampere. First Morrissey can't make out what I'm mumbling so I repeat it. He says something, I can't recall what.

(me) Thank you. I touch Morrissey's arm shyly as a sign of gratitude. Or affection, I don't know.

(then I walked away with braincell's still trying to figure out what just happened)

This how I recall the situation. For once I can say luck was firmly on my side.
And besides, I got to see Boz wearing shorts and sneakers. I doesn't get better than that. :D

And tomorrow, Tampere!

Last edited:
The basis of life revolves around being at the right place at the right time and I'm one lucky son-of-a-gun. Here's what happened:

I went to see Morrissey play Hovet, Stockholm last night and today while taking the boat back to Finland something truly bizarre took place. Tour of refusal has a few gigs in Finland, but for some reason it never even crossed my mind that Morrissey and the lot would take the boat to Turku (especially a boat as tacky as Viking Line). Well, I was wandering around the boat, looking for a quiet place (far away as bossible from the nasty little children) to read Sylvia Plaths The Jarr Bell and suddenly saw Arturro on the stairway. The first impulse was to follow him and so I did. I found Morrissey on the outerdeck surrounded by bandmembers, enjoying some drinks in the warm sunshine. The mind was racing at this point.

I sat down and observed this quite unreal situation for a minute or two and then made my move. The seat next to Morrissey became vacant (I think it was Tobias sitting there, can't be sure tough) and Arturro was deep in conversation at another table so I aproached him. There has to be a thing called intuition for I had a marker in my bag just for this kinda confrontation.

I think the dialog went something like this:

(me shyly aproaching Morrissey) Sorry to disturb you but can you sign something?

(Morrissey, very receptive) Sure, sure.

(a lady sitting near to him, friend or manager of some sort?) It depends on what you want him so sign. That was meant for a joke, I think.

(I take my copy of Jarr Bell and show it to Morrissey) It's a book by Sylvia Plaith. Have you read it? It's good.

(Morrissey) Of course, of course.

(I fumble with my marker, first trying to open it from the wrong end and give it to Morrissey)

(Morrissey flipping the pages) Where do you want me to write it?

(Me with heart beating like hell and legs barely there) Just put it on the cover.

(the woman gave amused laugh next to me as Morrissey scribbles his name on the book)

(the woman looks at me) We are having a quiet time right now.

(Morrissey comes to my defence) Oh he knows, he knows.

(me) I'll see you at Tampere. First Morrissey can't make out what I'm mumbling so I repeat it. He says something, I can't recall what.

(me) Thank you. I touch Morrissey's arm shyly as a sign of gratitude. Or affection, I don't know.

(then I walked away with braincell's still trying to figure out what just happened)

This how I recall the situation. For once I can say luck was firmly on my side.
And besides, I got to see Boz wearing shorts and sneakers. I doesn't get better than that. :D

And tomorrow, Tampere!

Wozzer! You are so very lucky! I want to have him sign my arm like Scarlet Ibis did. But you were very brave to go up to Moz and ask him to sign your book or notebook. It would be totally surreal! I'm glad Moz was so nice and receptive. :)

Wozzer! You are so very lucky! I want to have him sign my arm like Scarlet Ibis did. But you were very brave to go up to Moz and ask him to sign your book or notebook. It would be totally surreal! I'm glad Moz was so nice and receptive. :)

There was a moment's hesitation to go to him or not. But these kinda situations don't pop up very often. All in all, it's hard to believe what happened actually happened.

There was a moment's hesitation to go to him or not. But these kinda situations don't pop up very often. All in all, it's hard to believe what happened actually happened.

I can imagine! My fear is that he wouldn't be amiable to me or be cranky. :(

How lucky that you had a marker pen in your bag! I can't remember the last time I've carried any sort of pen around with me. This is a kind of dream situation for any Morrissey fan. I'm so happy for you!

How lucky that you had a marker pen in your bag! I can't remember the last time I've carried any sort of pen around with me. This is a kind of dream situation for any Morrissey fan. I'm so happy for you!

Yes, I thank heavens for that marker. I remember wondering should I take it with me or not. I'm glad I did.

Great story, Wozzer. The best encounters happen when you least expect it.

Hopefully, no one got seasick. :D

Thanks for sharing your excitement.

Oh!! How nice! :)

I'm so glad Mozzer was so cool to you!

Oh, lucky! I'm glad it was a pleasant encounter. :)

this is brilliant, just goes to show how these P.A's try to control things

Lovely story! Glad he was relaxing in the sunshine.
By the way, did you get to see what he was drinking?

lovely story. i'm truly jealous. truly, truly, truly.

Back
Top Bottom