Mute Witness

ringchase

I love the song Mute Witness I am even dating a girl who is deaf, I was wondering is this considered a bad song to perhaps sign to her? is it considered insulting? Its my favorite Morrissey song too. Isnt it about a girl who sees something but she cant communicate with them?

I love the song Mute Witness I am even dating a girl who is deaf, I was wondering is this considered a bad song to perhaps sign to her? is it considered insulting? Its my favorite Morrissey song too. Isnt it about a girl who sees something but she cant communicate with them?

The song tells a story of a young mute woman who witnessed a UFO in north side of Clapham Common.

Well, chances are if you sing it to her she won't hear it. She can't be insulted if she can't hear it! Sorta like when I always used to flip off my blind girlfriend. Ignorance truly IS bliss!

The song tells a story of a young mute woman who witnessed a UFO in north side of Clapham Common.

For real? I never knew that. Where did you hear that? ...not that you'll in any way acknowledge my post.

If it's true, that's awesome.

For real? I never knew that. Where did you hear that? ...not that you'll in any way acknowledge my post.

If it's true, that's awesome.

Skylarker, just read the lyrics:

Now see her pointing to the frisbee
With a memory so fuzzy
And her silent words
Describing the sight of last night
4 A.M. Northside, Clapham Common
Oh, god, what was she doing there ?

She's flailing her arms (ie, pantomiming flight) and pointing to a frisbee (a ufo). If it's not meant to literally describe a UFO encounter, then it's a metaphor for trying to express the inexpressible...

I never realized it was about a ufo. I would love to find every recorded version of this song. Is Live in Dallas also on a cd, because I have seen the Youtube video of his performance and its fabulous.

One of my favorite songs. "Now dry your tears, my dear. Lalalala, lalalala, lalalala..." Love it!

I thought it referred to the condescending Police approach to rape victims.

But if so it should really be called Mute Victim.

Think its slightly more complex than a deaf girl on Clapham Common seeing a UFO at 4am and not being able to explain it as the last 2 posters have alluded to. But we all have our own interpretations of the songs.

Think its slightly more complex than a deaf girl on Clapham Common seeing a UFO at 4am and not being able to explain it as the last 2 posters have alluded to. But we all have our own interpretations of the songs.

I agree it's more complex than that. I think Morrissey is suggesting that this is what the people listening to the witness are interpreting. She's obviously distressed, trying to communicate something awful... and the unspoken interpretation by the listener borders on the absurd.

I don't think what precisely happened to the girl or what she witnessed is the point of the song. It's ambiguous, and meant to be...

Don't you guys say it like "You foe?" She was witnessing your foe? Something like that?

Back
Top Bottom