Musicians Moving In New Directions - no more CD's? (Alan Wilder of Recoil/D-Mode)

The Seeker of Good Songs

(Basically,the article is telling that CD singles are becoming a thing of the past. The Digital Download will be the new single. Not enough money is made off of single to justify the production costs. Hopefully old Mogsy will continue with CD singles and with more B-sides instead of live songs.)

At the end, in a clip from you-tube, Alan Wilder discusses why he did not put out physical singles for his new album.

from: http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2008/01/22/musicians_moving_in_new_direction

With the present iPod generation, it appears the established ways major recording labels promote and distribute recording acts have become obsolete. Swift modernization brought on by technological advancements by computer companies like Steve Jobs' Apple has revolutionized the music industry. Recording labels are now at a lost as to how to effectively compete with the new rapid trends forming within the music industry.
Musicians not regulated by outdated corporate machinations have been more aware in seeking ways to effectively employ new benefits afforded with the developments of new technological advancements. This year a new trend continues. Music artists indebted to music corporations overseeing the business aspects of consumer marketing and distribution of their music are taking hold of the reins in favor of more artistic control. Hence, with the current trend of direct delivery of music to the consumer, gone are the days of sole reliance on the major music label corporation.
Former Beatle, Paul McCartney, shockingly ceased his involvement with music distribution company EMI last year. In favor of independent music distribution, his current title, Memory Almost Full, is now distributed by Hear Music/Starbucks. Relying on this new refreshing mode of distribution, McCartney's latest was released through an exclusive online campaign where the new album was initially made available through the number two online music downloading service Emusic, garnering McCartney's "Memory Almost Full" a high charting success.
The band Radiohead recently astonished the music industry by dissolving their affiliation with the same music distributor above, and offered their current title "In Rainbows" directly to the public via their official website. For a short time, fans were able to download their new title "In Rainbows" at whatever price the buyer favored. The venture was accepted as beneficial to both Radiohead and fans alike.
For former Depeche Mode member Alan Wilder, it was deemed practicable to bypass the option of pressing regular CDs for his latest Recoil project "Subhuman." The financially beneficial aspects of providing "Subhuman" via digital download only allowed for other creative digital considerations to the consumer in the form of superior sound quality and a different mix of the album in DVD format as an extra. Inspired, many other major recording industry acts are also taking major steps to move in new creative directions.
The music industry is not the only industry to be shaken. There are rumbling changes within the film distribution and publishing industry as well. Whatever changes may come can only be creatively and artistically beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still like CDs. I have a lot of music on my computer and on my iPod but every now and then I like to listen to an old-fashioned CD. And I don't really like to buy music online, I still enjoy the feeling of walking into a store and browsing through racks and racks of CDs. And there is nothing better than going home and listening to your new album while reading the lyrics and/or looking at the artwork. :)
I'm afraid that pretty soon people won't listen to albums anymore. In stead, they will buy only one or two songs and compile playlists. :(

Last edited:
The only MP3's I have are the ones I've ripped from my own CDs or downloaded illegally. The idea of paying for a digital file seems like a complete ripoff to me. I can't believe people do it. The only reason it's being marketed so much is because they know it's a temporary product that they can sell to people over and over again due to their hard drives blowing up and new file formats being brought in (which you know that they probably have a 20 year marketing plan for).

I still like CDs. I have a lot of music on my computer and on my iPod but every now and then I like to listen to an old-fashioned CD. And I don't really like to buy music online, I still enjoy the feeling of walking into a store and browsing through racks and racks of CDs. And there is nothing better than going home and listening to your new album while reading the lyrics and/or looking at the artwork. :)
I'm afraid that pretty soon people won't listen to albums anymore. In stead, they will buy only one or two songs and compile playlists. :(

cd's old fashioned? :) my parent's recently made fun of me for starting to buy vinyl records.

i don't get how people are satisfied with one or two songs from an album.
they're losing so much in not listening to a complete album, as many artists design it to be.

Yes, me too. I'm so old-fashioned that I don't even have an ipod (yet)!

And I really don't want to give up the undeniable pleasure of browsing the cd racks in my local Fopp. Am I a dying breed? :(

I still reminisce fondly about the days of vinyl when you could spend many a happy hour reading song lyrics and every album cover was a work of art.
Sigh.....

Yes, me too. I'm so old-fashioned that I don't even have an ipod (yet)!

And I really don't want to give up the undeniable pleasure of browsing the cd racks in my local Fopp. Am I a dying breed? :(

I still reminisce fondly about the days of vinyl when you could spend many a happy hour reading song lyrics and every album cover was a work of art.
Sigh.....

Well, I love my iPod, but if I had to choose between it and cds, I'd go for cds anyday.
I'm too young for vinyls but I have a feeling that had I been born a decade earlier, I'd be into vinyls ;)

Well, I love my iPod, but if I had to choose between it and cds, I'd go for cds anyday.
I'm too young for vinyls but I have a feeling that had I been born a decade earlier, I'd be into vinyls ;)

Ouch! O.k. I'm old enough to have been a teenager in the 1980's :D

i'm only 20. but i decided to get into vinyl because of Moz and Smiths singles. now i buy all i can

Back
Top Bottom