Music Week: "Johnny Marr signs new worldwide album deal with BMG" (August 3, 2021)

Agree. Would be strange to think otherwise.

I guess it depends on how one is defining the word ‘safe’, really.

Neither Morrissey or Marr is releasing work that can be mistaken
for the first Plastic Ono Yoko album
or even any of Scott Walkers last few albums.

Music backing aside. For me there is a quality in Morrissey’s voice and a vision delivered from his very being (that somehow translates onto record) that is so uniquely his, so much so, that any ‘pop’ song he creates still grates and goes against the grain of what can be considered safe, ordinary, and top 100 material for the masses to swallow.
Reading some of these comments, I’m not sure. There seems to be people here that think they are doing Morrissey a favor by constantly dissing Marr.

Even Scott Walker? Especially not Scott Walker. No one went against the grain as much as he did.

Agree 100%.

Reading some of these comments, I’m not sure. There seems to be people here that think they are doing Morrissey a favor by constantly dissing Marr.

Even Scott Walker? Especially not Scott Walker. No one went against the grain as much as he did.

Agree 100%.

I agree, there's some odd behaviour, I like both Morrissey and Marr for different reasons.

I think, and I’m guilty of it too, that both Marr and Morrissey are just used as ways to anger each other here on solo. I wouldn’t, and I don’t, take it too seriously. Unfortunately some do. Childish really.

As far as pop music goes and where Scott came from musically, yes he definitely went against the grain.
Though, sit his work next to early Whitehouse,Throbbing Gristle or
a composer like Alvin Lucier and it
sounds normal, strangely normal.

For folks still not familiar with the Scott Walker being discussed. I recommend his album TILT. Play loud. :cool:

An alternate view is that Marr is building his fan base by playing to massive crowds in a country where currently doesn't have a big following. As for The Courteneers support, it's his hometown and Old Trafford Cricket Ground will be rammed when Johnny's on, just like Jodrell Bank was when he supported New Order.

Pretty sure he will announce a solo tour once the album is released.

And no I didn't need to look at any seating plans, I subscribe to Music Week and there is a wealth of info in there.

PS, I will visit any site I want, thank you
he has got got a tour coming up,4 dates,the one in manchester is sold out but johnboy being the flyguy that he is has the courteeners in brackets underneath so it looks like marr is the main act.

he has got got a tour coming up,4 dates,the one in manchester is sold out but johnboy being the flyguy that he is has the courteeners in brackets underneath so it looks like marr is the main act.

They are warm up gigs in small venues prior to the Courteeners gig, although Blackburn has been upgraded to the main hall due to demand.

Marr is a realist and doesn't ask for big advances, I guess. So he's an easy prestige artist for a record company to sign. Which is naturally good. If the next album is as good as Call the Comet, I'll buy it.

As far as pop music goes and where Scott came from musically, yes he definitely went against the grain.
Though, sit his work next to early Whitehouse,Throbbing Gristle or
a composer like Alvin Lucier and it
sounds normal, strangely normal.

For folks still not familiar with the Scott Walker being discussed. I recommend his album TILT. Play loud. :cool:
I have to disagree. Stuff like Drift, Bish Bosch and Soused are just as, if not more, challenging (lyrically, sonically and emotionally) as the stuff you mention. It’s disturbing stuff, not just loud and abrasive. It’s the stuff of nightmares. Real weird, nightmares, threatening in an obscure but very real way. There’s nothing even remotely pop about those albums.

Marr is a realist and doesn't ask for big advances, I guess. So he's an easy prestige artist for a record company to sign. Which is naturally good. If the next album is as good as Call the Comet, I'll buy it.

It looks like BMG think it's good - “We are delighted to be the releasing partner for this outstanding new body of work."

I enjoyed the majority of Call the Comet but thought the two singles he released that wern't on the album, Armatopia and The Bright Parade were better than some of the album tracks.

Last edited:
:)

correct observation. cvunteers sell the tix and the little flyboy sends the email to his dozen docile trolls pretending
he sold out the gig, thats his MO.
'sign up so you get info about the empty tiny gigs' oi
:hammer:

Agree 100%.
:rolleyes:

Salsa, instead of whining all the time, do something constructive: open a :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
forum so his docile trolls can migrate over there. true, they will probably stay put here
regardless as they are trolls after all, but give it a try. inaugurate it with coors and mcmuffins.
once that is gone all will flock back to troll.:hammer:

I have to disagree. Stuff like Drift, Bish Bosch and Soused are just as, if not more, challenging (lyrically, sonically and emotionally) as the stuff you mention. It’s disturbing stuff, not just loud and abrasive. It’s the stuff of nightmares. Real weird, nightmares, threatening in an obscure but very real way.

I can see how his music gives you and others that experience, nightmare worlds, etc.
It is in part why I enjoy listening to his music, which though frightening at times, is mostly beautiful to my ear.

And yes, I can see how one might feel that his music is more challenging compared to the music
I mentioned, but that only depends on how deep one alllows oneself, or surrenders oneself to the other music I mentioned.

Though, I wasn’t really comparing them to the other music I mentioned, merely pointing out that Walkers later music is only as
strange or challenging as one’s own knowledge and interest is in music that is considered neither pop, classical or some other easily digestible genre of music.

There’s nothing even remotely pop about those albums.

I never said those later Walker albums were ‘pop’. I was saying what he did was against the grain
from the pop world that he came from. Also those records are against the grain even of the labels that released them, Drag City and 4AD
which are both alternative pop music labels, more or less

Walker does interesting things with
song form and structure that is still recognizable if one is familiar with say Penderecki, Kurtag, or even some composers of spectral music.

:rolleyes:

Salsa, instead of whining all the time, do something constructive: open a :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:
forum so his docile trolls can migrate over there. true, they will probably stay put here
regardless as they are trolls after all, but give it a try. inaugurate it with coors and mcmuffins.
once that is gone all will flock back to troll.:hammer:
OI....

HMV Jack.....

No JM Merch left as you done a
Smash and grab last night....Remember 🛒🚜

Leave Salsa alone
He’s normal......

Unlike you Banjo boy....

Just sit back, kick of your
Wellies and admire the art
From Canada Shazzz..

I’ve herd that Moz will be singing
All her paintings at Vegas 🎰🎰

Now run along and stop arguing
With the intelligent folks on this site.

Otherwise the CCC Will be looking for you🥋🥊

Yep don’t get too excited Morrissey haters, FWD is right, it should say Marr has been resigned with BMG

which should come as no surprise, as Marr is a very nice person that makes very safe music and when BMG says ‘jump!’ Marr asks ‘how high?’

:cool:

Edit: Aw, the Morrissey haters don’t like my post. :oops:

Actually, I'm a Morrissey fan and a Johnny fan... did you know it's possible to be both? So, are you a self-described Johnny hater then?

Actually, I'm a Morrissey fan and a Johnny fan... did you know it's possible to be both? So, are you a self-described Johnny hater then?

:censored:
WTF? no its not possible to be both a fan of the best great music-Moz
and the suckiest music available-Le:frogface:
🇭🇷>:hammer:

@Verso @Surface

Actually, I'm a Morrissey fan and a Johnny fan... did you know it's possible to be both?

Lol.

I never said it wasn’t possible to be a fan of both, I love The Smiths. So what’s your fvcking point?

I don’t know why you’re attacking me or the reason for your post.

When I said ‘Morrissey haters’ in my post, did you think I was addressing you ?

If so, then are you describing yourself as a ‘Morrissey hater’?

It looks like you are.

So, are you a self-described Johnny hater then?

Nah, I love The Smiths.

I’m as Verso would describe me .... a ‘Johnny Marr realist’. ;)

I don’t hate. I leave that to the others that visit this site.

I can see how his music gives you and others that experience, nightmare worlds, etc.
It is in part why I enjoy listening to his music, which though frightening at times, is mostly beautiful to my ear.

And yes, I can see how one might feel that his music is more challenging compared to the music
I mentioned, but that only depends on how deep one alllows oneself, or surrenders oneself to the other music I mentioned.

Though, I wasn’t really comparing them to the other music I mentioned, merely pointing out that Walkers later music is only as
strange or challenging as one’s own knowledge and interest is in music that is considered neither pop, classical or some other easily digestible genre of music.

I never said those later Walker albums were ‘pop’. I was saying what he did was against the grain
from the pop world that he came from. Also those records are against the grain even of the labels that released them, Drag City and 4AD
which are both alternative pop music labels, more or less

Walker does interesting things with
song form and structure that is still recognizable if one is familiar with say Penderecki, Kurtag, or even some composers of spectral music.
Same here.

I haven’t listened to either Kurtag nor Penderecki (I’m a classical music illiterate, although ’classical’ might not be the best label for those two), but I do listen to copious amounts of dark ambient (especially dark ambient) and industrial music, and experimental stuff to some extent stemming from post punk, and I have to say that late era Walker is much more challenging - to my ears and my spirit- than any of those bands/artists/creators of soundscapes, and therefore also more rewarding. Many artists that make challenging music can sometimes come across as they are playacting - even though their music is fantastic. Walker’s stuff was stark reality. Twisted, threatening and harsh, but ultimately real.

But yeah, he did originate from the pop world. And he was odd even in 1967!

Reason for my post? I'll try to be more direct because it seems necessary. Who are the "Morrissey haters" you were referring to?

It’s not for me to point out the obvious.

Given the context, it would seem to be people that like and respect Johnny.

No, I never said that. I also said that I was happy for Johnny, did you not read the rest of my posts?
And speaking of context, did you see Uncleskinny’s post before mine?

In which case as a Morrissey fan (not sycophant) I took objection.

Sorry but it wasn’t the case, sorry you took objection.

What's funny is that you claim to not be a hater yet you're active in every Johnny thread just to throw shade.

I explained my reason for that already in this thread, and why I think people on this site ‘throw shade’ on either Morrissey or Marr.

So I don't see it as attacking you as much as just calling you out.

Calling someone out, and calling someone a hater are two very different things. And I thank you
for being civil in this post.

Yes, that's what I thought.
Johnny does deserve to be RE signed, so do Sparks who are still on BMG. Both artists create good music, put on good, nay, great gigs, and sell, sell , sell .
Both artists have lps that stay in the top 100 twice as long as M, at least (i think Im right about this, anyway) So, it's a shame if people start slating them just because M has been dropped. Its not Johnny and Sparks fault M has been dropped.

I haven't heard of any games Sparks and Johnny have played with BMG, in regards to trying to call their bluff or moaning about records not being released and of course, none of them gets as much bad press as M (I'm not saying M deserves the bad press, im just saying its there)- you have to include all this stuff when you think "Why was M dropped, yet Johnny and Sparks remain?"

You can't say "They dropped M, because they are being agest ", either. As Johnny is only a few years younger than M and Sparks are both way older.

You can't even say Morrissey is making higher quality, more daring music. As Call The Comet was objectively much better produced and had higher standards of musicianship (though not singing) than the last two Morrissey records and a Morrissey LP has never once pushed the envelope more than a sparks lp . It was funny reading on here, people trying to suggest that Dog On A Chain was cutting edge. Yes it was a different sound for M but only people whose musical knowledge begins and ends with Smiths/ Morrissey would dare suggest it was cutting edge. Dog was like some 80s/ 90s hybrid.
Again im being objective, I thought the LP was fab

For me personally, I'd much rather listen to a Morrissey record than a Johnny or Sparks record. The sad thing is, although I would much rather see M live than go to a Johnny or Sparks gigs, sadly both Johnny and Sparks tend to be more reliable in LA than M. M still does fantastic gigs but in LA its very patchy. Where as Sparks and Johnny nearly always deliver.
I can agree with you on many points, except:
The last few Morrissey albums are very very good, I mean World Peace and Low in high school. And they are very well played and produced.

Last edited:
Same here.

I haven’t listened to either Kurtag nor Penderecki (I’m a classical music illiterate, although ’classical’ might not be the best label for those two), but I do listen to copious amounts of dark ambient (especially dark ambient) and industrial music, and experimental stuff to some extent stemming from post punk, and I have to say that late era Walker is much more challenging - to my ears and my spirit- than any of those bands/artists/creators of soundscapes, and therefore also more rewarding. Many artists that make challenging music can sometimes come across as they are playacting - even though their music is fantastic. Walker’s stuff was stark reality. Twisted, threatening and harsh, but ultimately real.

But yeah, he did originate from the pop world. And he was odd even in 1967!

and yes I agree he was always strange
just waiting patiently to bloom into something much stranger

1967 b-side ... The Plague

Tags
bmg johnny mar
Back
Top Bottom