'Music Week' feature on Smiths 'Complete' says 'Moz likes it'

The latest issue of 'Music Week' (dated 21.10.11) has a project profile of The Smiths 'Complete', which consists of an interview with Dan Chalmers, boss of Rhino Records. He says that the project had been in the planning for over ten years but it wasn't until Johnny Marr went into Metropolis Studios in 2008 to set about remastering the tracks that the project took off. Regarding Morrissey, this ~

"There has been no official word, yet, from Planet Moz, but, Chalmers says, 'We hear he likes it. Seymour [Stein] took a copy to him a few weeks ago and we are told that the view was really positive"

Seymour Stein is president of Sire Records, v-p of Warner Bros. Records, signed The Smiths in the US, etc, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Morrissey, if you can't beat em, may as well join em. After Mr. j's radio show on East Village last week, gotta say the tunes sounded excellent!

That's a bit of a contrast to what he said on true-to-poo

Morrissey notably didn't ask everyone to boycott it - which he normally does.

I suspect now this item has hit the front page he'll feel forced to publically denounce the release, just because it's lining Joyce's pockets.

Morrissey never denounced it on TTY, nor did he say that he was not getting royalties... This was the first one where he didn't say not to buy it... He rather just said that he wasn't consulted and wasn't aware of what the remasters sounded like (which he mistakenly called "Remixes"). Also, he loves Seymour Stein.. He has always praised him and thought Seymour paid him the respect he could never get from Geoff Travis.. I could totally see him liking it once in his hands...

'Remix 'might have been a mistake, or it could have been a Morrissey snipe at the whole thing.

Morrissey never denounced it on TTY, nor did he say that he was not getting royalties... This was the first one where he didn't say not to buy it... He rather just said that he wasn't consulted and wasn't aware of what the remasters sounded like (which he mistakenly called "Remixes"). Also, he loves Seymour Stein.. He has always praised him and thought Seymour paid him the respect he could never get from Geoff Travis.. I could totally see him liking it once in his hands...

I heard Morrissey isn't getting any royalties..... Warners want paying back for the Hollywood Bowl DVD fiasco..... (and who can blame them?)

Nice letter from Seymour in the deluxe box as well regarding the Smiths signing.Probably in all the versions.

No matter what Morrissey says, or whether he was paid Royalties or not, the box is fantastic... The sound quality is ace.... Wish the downloads were a consistent 320kbps, but overall done really, really well... I know some people who didn't have the money were hoping it would be shit... But honestly, it's quite the opposite... I heard Warners pays Moz,, EMI doesn't.

he's just talking about it so you will buy it. this is basic.

Maybe Morrissey was talking about the new remix of 'I Keep Mine Hidden'? ;)

Back
Top Bottom