Music News / Fiona Dodwell: "The unforgiving storyteller: Morrissey's lyrics remain as vital today as ever" (July 31, 2020)

"Morrissey's lyrics have become as much of a trademark as the iconic quiff he sports. Dry, critical, sneering and defiant, he has been pop's favourite, much-loved outcast for many years. His skills as a songwriter are highly revered, so today I take a look at his creative signature style, and examine exactly why we need his voice today as much as we ever did..."

Regards,
FWD.

The Number 1 Morrissey apologist posts more trite bollocks.

The current list of Morrissey apologists:

1. Fiona Dodwell
2. Anne Marie Waters
3. Tommy Robinson
4. Morrissey's Band
5. Joe Chiccarelli
6. BMG
7. Chrissie Hynde

The Number 1 Morrissey apologist posts more trite bollocks.

The current list of Morrissey apologists:

1. Fiona Dodwell
2. Anne Marie Waters
3. Tommy Robinson
4. Morrissey's Band
5. Joe Chiccarelli
6. BMG
7. Chrissie Hynde

Unless you think Morrissey is more controversial than Anne Marie & Tommy - & that would be hilarious - then he's an apologist for them, not the other way round.

8. Hitler's Ghost
9. Satan
10. Yer Maw

God, Fiona is truly the dullest human being in the entire Morrissey orbit. Where the f*** did he find this dunce?

Bloody hell, that was painful to read. (And to think that she starts the piece by mentioning the Gavin Hopps book, which is excellent.)

The point about separating the artist from the art is pertinent, you accept Moz for who he is or not at all. The utter nonsense idea of liking the music but not liking him is snowflakery at it's very worst.
And anyway she's a fan who happens to write blogs supporting Moz so let's not be too harsh here.

Bloody hell, that was painful to read. (And to think that she starts the piece by mentioning the Gavin Hopps book, which is excellent.)

I recall it was badly received at the time. To me it was an example of an academic very frequently using 20 words when 3 would have done.

I recall it was badly received at the time. To me it was an example of an academic very frequently using 20 words when 3 would have done.
I agree about Hopps book, I found it pretty turgid reading, War and Peace was a stroll in the park by comparison.

Fair enough, I know what you mean about that academic writing style. I just liked his overall approach, treating M as a chronicler of the human condition and looking at the lyrics as Art. Which they are.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom