music influenced by Smiths/Morrissey

M

moris

what bands do you think are heavily influenced by Smiths/Morrissey?
(make a case as much as you can, don't just name names, please)

> what bands do you think are heavily influenced by¿ Smiths/Morrissey?¿ (make a case as much as you can, don't just name names, please)

311- well cause they said so on their website in a Question and Answer section... they actually talk to there fans...(alittle moz resentment)

morrissey friends

> 311- well cause they said so on their website in a Question and¿ Answer section... they actually talk to there fans...(alittle¿ moz resentment) I was gonna say 311 as one of them also because Nick one of the lead singers names the smiths ANd morrissey in his favorite albums..most inspirational. And when asked what bands hes influenced by he says the smiths. Also This is my opinion and it may be bad but does anyone think the cardigans sound a lil smiths influenced?

> what bands do you think are heavily influenced by¿ Smiths/Morrissey?¿ (make a case as much as you can, don't just name names, please)

Well, according to this guy I know, every band :)

Inspirations

There was a hit here in the US recently called Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer which sounds alot like Morrissey's Vauxhall Era. By the way, "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get"last guitar riff was obviously inspired by Tears For Fears' "Woman In Chains" closing guitar riff.

The Sundays!!!!!

> There was a hit here in the US recently called Kiss Me by¿ Sixpence None The Richer which sounds alot like Morrissey's¿ Vauxhall Era. By the way, "The More You Ignore Me, The¿ Closer I Get"last guitar riff was obviously inspired by¿ Tears For Fears' "Woman In Chains" closing guitar¿ riff.
Sixpence None The Richer sound like the Sundays more than they do Smiths or Morrissey.
The Obvious List is :

i)Gene.(They got fed up with the comparisons,wrote 'Where are they now?' specifically to sound like a Smiths songs, and...er... no one noticed!)

ii) Belle and Sebastien (More the lyrics than the actual music....)

iii) Strangelove (Again their lyrics rather than their music)

iv) Marion

v) Rialto

vi) Shed 7 (Although I could never see the connection myself....)

vii) James (The Smiths covered 'What's the world', and James covered 'We hate it when our friends become succesful')

viii) Ultrasound(?) (Kurt Russell sounds a lot like a Smiths style song)

ix) The Divine Comedy

x) My life story

almost nobody here knows them, but the most popular brazilian rock band ever, legião urbana, was deeply influenced by moz. they were called "the brazilian smiths". the voccalist renato russo died some years ago by aids, and then their popularity grew up greatly. renato russo even used to bring flowers to their shows! songs like "tempo perdido" and "será" were greatly influenced by smiths.¿ what bands do you think are heavily influenced by¿ Smiths/Morrissey?¿ (make a case as much as you can, don't just name names, please)

the smell of genius

Re: Inspirations

> There was a hit here in the US recently called Kiss Me by¿ Sixpence None The Richer which sounds alot like Morrissey's¿ Vauxhall Era.

There was a few other songs on that(SNTR)album that reminded me of some songs on Maladjusted...it kinda freaked me out when i heard it for the first time...it kinda freaks me out that someone else would make a Morrissey connection w/them

I'm gonna have to say the Cranberries:

* Until recently, the same producer as the Smiths.
* Same band dynamics: 4 piece band, charismatic singer
* Same musical direction: Simple yet effective. A lot of clean guitar work, great breaks.

Listen to their first album and you tell me....

> I'm gonna have to say the Cranberries:¿ * Until recently, the same producer as the Smiths.¿ * Same band dynamics: 4 piece band, charismatic singer¿ * Same musical direction: Simple yet effective. A lot of clean¿ guitar work, great breaks.¿ Listen to their first album and you tell me....

Oh yeah The Cranberries were definitely inspired by The Smiths. I have a clip from a documentary that I taped on them where they mention the influence.

I agree, the first album is very SMITHS. I listened to it again for the first time in years a few wekks ago and I really noticed a connection. WHen i first heard the CRANBERRIES I didn't even know the SMITHS so I didn't make the connection until now. I wonder if they ever mentioned the SMITHS/Morrissey in any context?

> I agree, the first album is very SMITHS. I listened to it again¿ for the first time in years a few wekks ago and I really noticed¿ a connection. WHen i first heard the CRANBERRIES I didn't even¿ know the SMITHS so I didn't make the connection until now. I¿ wonder if they ever mentioned the SMITHS/Morrissey in any¿ context?

I really like the Cranberries first album but I think that "No Need To Argue" is awful.

This got me thinking about the bands I listened to at the time when the Cranberries first album came out. I listened a lot to Echobelly at that time and I think that they where also influenced by Morrissey especially Sonya.

so many illustrations

> i think 311 are pretty good, but my sister is their #1 fan and knows i love morrissey so she had to show me the interview in which fans asked them questions and it was nick who seemed to love both the smiths and morrissey. That gave 311 major points right there.they are inspired by a huge variety of music ranging from ska to our beloved moZ.

> I really like the Cranberries first album but I think that¿ "No Need To Argue" is awful.
well i hear that the band are fans but i'm not too certain about dolores andwhen i went to a cranberries concert awhile back they played frankly mr. shankly for part of the music before the concert began and during the concert they did a drum beginning of bigmouth strikes again but i'm not sure which song it was for
on one of their albums it also mentions "suffer little children" but they probably got that from the bible and not the smiths but they are fans¿ This got me thinking about the bands I listened to at the time¿ when the Cranberries first album came out. I listened a lot to¿ Echobelly at that time and I think that they where also¿ influenced by Morrissey especially Sonya.

Re: The Sundays!!!!!

> Sixpence None The Richer sound like the Sundays more than they¿ do Smiths or Morrissey.

I love The Sundays. Don't think Sixpence sounds like them very much, though. They remind me of The Innocence Mission rather than The Sundays. The only thing close to a Sundays riff is that damn "Kiss Me" song, and if the singer wasn't a hottie, that song would suck....well, it does suck, but she's still sexy.¿ i)Gene.(They got fed up with the comparisons,wrote 'Where are¿ they now?' specifically to sound like a Smiths songs,¿ and...er... no one noticed!)

I noticed! I like Gene [REVELATIONS SUCKS!!!], but Moz is an obvious influence. If they say otherwise, they are lying.¿ ii) Belle and Sebastien (More the lyrics than the actual¿ music....)

Agreed. After all, they had a line about Johnny going Electronic.¿ v) Rialto

Disagree. It's hard to pinpoint where they are coming from, but it seems like Louis is getting his influence from films rather than other singers. And, the recording quality sounds more "Beach Boys" than "The Queen is Dead". Great band, but not really a Smiths influence.¿ vii) James (The Smiths covered 'What's the world', and James¿ covered 'We hate it when our friends become succesful')

Hmmm.. Maybe. Just remember that in the early days of James, they were copying the Manchester sound. I honestly think they have their own thing going, but they just might--after all, both camps have mutual respect.

Back
Top Bottom