Munich Air Disaster 1958

Spinster

...can somebody out there possibly tell me what this song is about? I'm a WWII history buff, but obviously, this event happened way after the end of the supposedly last ever world war, and i have never heard of it...not to say it never happened...

This song kinda reminds me of military kids being drowned in submarines during the era of the Big Band movement....not a very comfortable feeling...

Wikipedia is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_air_disaster

Edit: Oh, well someone beat me to it. Anyway, the song is yet another example of Morrissey intertwining a real event with his own feelings.

...can somebody out there possibly tell me what this song is about? I'm a WWII history buff, but obviously, this event happened way after the end of the supposedly last ever world war, and i have never heard of it...not to say it never happened...

This song kinda reminds me of military kids being drowned in submarines during the era of the Big Band movement....not a very comfortable feeling...

The plane carrying the manchester united football team attempted three take offs on the icy runnway and crashed on take off.
You can read more about it here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_air_disaster
Morrissey grew up very close to the home of united and they are the team he supported / supports.

Jukebox Jury

They plain flew up against Munich airport plaintraffic security, some
people [not the team or coach] ,maybe sponsors or the management
kep on telling they/he MUST BE IN MANCHESTER NEXT MORNING, so
wanted to be in Manchester at night/noon time.

it's a sad story:tears:
not meant to stir things up, but just a point that makes it all more
painfull, and lots of times not mentioned.

in my town, a hotelfire [ silver seahorse in Eindhoven] also got a football/soccerteam
in problems, believe a east german team, it was early 70's

I'll check it up, if the fire caused death of players, I was a young kid, and
that time living and grow up in a village near Eindhoven [Best]

I don't think the song is so much about the disaster itself, but more about the people who exalted the victims to saint-like status in the aftermath.

I don't think the song is so much about the disaster itself, but more about the people who exalted the victims to saint-like status in the aftermath.

Are you suggesting that man u took advantage of the disaster and turned it into a commercial and marketable commodity:eek::eek::thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Utter rubbish. And I believe that Moz himself has spoken of how it was intended as a genuine tribute to the babes.

It's not as if they were just any other team; you would have to be genuinely thick or embittered to think that.

Utter rubbish. And I believe that Moz himself has spoken of how it was intended as a genuine tribute to the babes.

It's not as if they were just any other team; you would have to be genuinely thick or embittered to think that.

I stand by my post, it's my opinion. A Busby Babe read the eulogy at my father-in-laws funeral. I have no bitterness towards them whatsoever, let me assure you of that.

"We mourn for them"

"We miss them. Every night we kiss them"

Like I say, it's not about the disaster, but others reactions to it.

I'm curious though. How am I thick or embittered? How does my contribution to this thread lead you to this conclusion? All I have done is offer my thoughts on this song. JJ wasn't serious you know? He was taking the piss.

I stand by my post, it's my opinion. A Busby Babe read the eulogy at my father-in-laws funeral. I have no bitterness towards them whatsoever, let me assure you of that.

"We mourn for them"

"We miss them. Every night we kiss them"

Like I say, it's not about the disaster, but others reactions to it.

I'm curious though. How am I thick or embittered? How does my contribution to this thread lead you to this conclusion? All I have done is offer my thoughts on this song. JJ wasn't serious you know? He was taking the piss.

Perhaps I was harsh and misunderstood your post, but to me, it seemed to be a subtle at dig at those passionately celebrate the memory of those who tragically, prematurely lost their lives.

Morrissey clearly would have been well aware of the disaster, growing up where and when he did, and as I said, to me the song is a genuine, heartfelt tribute to the Busby Babes.

And what bit of JJ's post wasn't serious? :confused:

Is this song known within the United community? Just curious.

I met quite a few people in Manchester who had no idea who Morrissey is :squiffy:

Perhaps I was harsh and misunderstood your post, but to me, it seemed to be a subtle at dig at those passionately celebrate the memory of those who tragically, prematurely lost their lives.

Morrissey clearly would have been well aware of the disaster, growing up where and when he did, and as I said, to me the song is a genuine, heartfelt tribute to the Busby Babes.

I think you can rest assured that any time a post ends with three emoticons in a row, there is a bit of tongue in cheek intended (unless of course it's three of this: :horny: on the frink thread, and then we are quite serious :thumb: )

All of it. (My second post, about turning the disaster into a marketable commodity):thumb:

Is this song known within the United community? Just curious.

I met quite a few people in Manchester who had no idea who Morrissey is :squiffy:

It has been played inside the stadium over the pa system at least two times at the games nearest to the anniversary. Maybe more times.

Jukebox Jury

Exactly. The lyric is very clever: The victims are unconditionally loved, missed, kissed, fondly remembered (not least for their style) and, being dead, it is impossible for them to hurt anyone. Morrissey wishes he had died that day so that all of those things would apply to him.

Ironically, it seems that the most ignorant of all the posters on this thread is the one calling others 'thick'.

A sincere tribute to a tragic event; but I think Morrissey is doing a bit of self-eulogising (ie being a bit cheeky) when he wishes he'd have gone down with them. Munich being the year before he was born and all that.

Exactly. The lyric is very clever: The victims are unconditionally loved, missed, kissed, fondly remembered (not least for their style) and, being dead, it is impossible for them to hurt anyone. Morrissey wishes he had died that day so that all of those things would apply to him.

Ironically, it seems that the most ignorant of all the posters on this thread is the one calling others 'thick'.

That interpretation seem spot on to me.

I have already said that my earlier 'thick' remark was misjudged, but it is quite an emotive topic, and their does seem to be a strangely large number of bitter blues on this board, who have made derogatory remarks when this topic has come up before.

their does seem to be a strangely large number of bitter blues on this board, who have made derogatory remarks when this topic has come up before.

I would be more than happy to start the derogatory comments if you continue to make a prick of yourself in this thread:rolleyes:

Jukebox Jury

An interesting interpretation. However I don't believe that the narrative of the song if from the perspective of Morrissey. I have always thought (and it's just my opinion) that he sings from the perspective of the people who revere the victims?

Back
Top Bottom