MTV- 30 years ago today

The Seeker of Good Songs

Where were you?

Being yelled at by my grandmother (who had cable- my own parents did not) to turn that nonsense off because it was 'vulgar'

Apparently MTV was vulgar for a six year old to watch...

Oh how innocent we all were.

I was 5 and my parents hated everything that was happening in pop culture. I was lucky I was allowed to watch Mork and Mindy.

Being yelled at by my grandmother (who had cable- my own parents did not) to turn that nonsense off because it was 'vulgar'

Vulgar was a word my parents bandied about a lot too. It was a catch-all adjective that prudes and old people used whenever they encountered something out of their frame of experience.

To me, the only vulgar aspect of modern pop culture now is how grotesquely dumb and derivative is has become. Back then, there was still wind in the sails of creativity, even if I didn't enjoy certain aspects of it. But now...Jesus.

I was nine. For the longest time i thought i was eight at the debut, but was wrong, my bad.

My dad really liked early MTV. I remember he told me in the early 80s artists were trying to out-weird each other...then in the mid 80s they were trying to out-sex each other. Either way at least MTV was still playing some form of fecking music!!

I was a year old [almost two]. I didn't have MTV until 1987 when we moved to Florida. We didn't have cable when we lived in Alabama. My mtv introduction was during the era of hair metal.
MTV was to me def lepard, guns n roses and Bon jovi. I was only censored from watching Aerosmith's 'ragdoll' video. Everything else was allowed. :)
I thought I was quite cool because other moms didn't allow their kids to watch MTV or see Dirty Dancing.

Before I had access to MTV I watched Nightflight on NBC for music videos. That show also played movies. I'd watch it after Saturday Night Live whenever my older siblings allowed me to watch TV with them. I didn't get to see the Sting 'I want my mtv' ads. :(
I actually got obsessed with Sting from taping him off Nightflight by accident after SNL was over.

I watched mtv from ages 7 to age 17. VH1 played more '80s videos in the mid 90s so I switched over to that channel a lot. I caught up on what I missed then. I did like mtv2 for awhile in the late '90s but I've checked out on mtv a long time ago.

The network was a big part of my adolescence. I can't deny that.

My fondest mtv moments would have to be The State sketch comedy show in the '90s, Beavis and Butthead, 120 Minutes and Alternative Nation.

I hated 'Remote Control' when I was little. It was too cheesy.

Vulgar was a word my parents bandied about a lot too. It was a catch-all adjective that prudes and old people used whenever they encountered something out of their frame of experience.

To me, the only vulgar aspect of modern pop culture now is how grotesquely dumb and derivative is has become. Back then, there was still wind in the sails of creativity, even if I didn't enjoy certain aspects of it. But now...Jesus.

My grandmother is 90 years old now. Her body is breaking down but her mind is very, very sharp and her wit is even better. I banter back and forth with her on a regular basis whereas my mother and my aunt look at me (and one of my cousins) in amazement over what we say to her. That cousin and I share the same birthday so this year we went out for a family dinner in celebration. They asked if either of us had anything to say at the table. Knowing my grandmother's feelings on 'vulgarity' we raised a glass and thanked our respective parents for having sex and keeping the babies.

My mom's mouth dropped, my aunt snickered, my grandmother immediately said something to the effect that they should have terminated the pregnancies.

:D

you all make me feel old

Back
Top Bottom