Mozipedia - your thoughts?

Its not available in Singapore yet. According to amazon.co.uk, its available from 23 July 09 onwards.

It's an A to Z of all things Morrissey related. Under 'F' there's 'Family - Morrissey' and 'Food' as well as all the other 'F's you could possibly think of. It's cross-referenced too so if the entry for an album mentions a producer who also has an entry it's in CAPITALS so you know you can look up the producer.

There are entries for each and every song, there are entries for pretty much everyone he's worked with: Jonny Bridgwood, Spencer Cobrin, Alain Whyte etc etc.
There are entries for people e.g. Pete Burns, Peter Hogg, Jake Walters and stuff about influences, that is to say songs that he has said time and again that he likes. Think of something and it's probably in the book. I tested it by trying to find an entry relating to Imperfect List which was used in the interval tapes before shows in 2004. It wasn't under 'I' for Imperfect List but it was, (I think- haven't got it with me), under the entry for Jake Walters which is pretty insulting since Jake Walters had next to nothing to do with it, but to be fair Goddard makes the point that it is probably through Walters that Morrissey knows about it. Pete Wylie does get credit at least.

One of the things that I think is missing is an entry for the Smoking Popes. OK, they may be contemporaries but I think their sound has had a massive influence on how his music sounds now. For years and years Morrissey has said 'Born to Quit' was terrific. He wasn't wrong and I think it's been a big influence and therefore deserves an entry every bit as much as the Cookies and Herman's Hermits.

I was most interested to see what he wrote about Alain Whyte. Goddard sticks to the facts which wins my admiration. What I love about the book is that you have an idea and start to look it up but I easily get side tracked. I was looking at the Jake Walters entry, saw 'John Walters - See Peel, John' but never actually got to the Peel entry having got side-tracked by 'Certain People I Know', 'The Loop' and the revelatory entry (well for me anyway, because I'm a big fan) on Joan Armatrading.

It doesn't go in much for tour dates and set lists. That's been done to death elsewhere and wouldn't make an interesting book to read. There is a discography though.

A very enjoyable and comprehensive book, will push your knowledge of all things Morrissey to new heights...if you're not there already.

Last edited:
It's an A to Z of all things Morrissey related. Under 'F' there's 'Family - Morrissey' and 'Food' as well as all the other 'F's you could possibly think of. It's cross-referenced too so if the entry for an album mentions a producer who also has an entry it's in CAPITALS so you know you can loook up the producer.

There are entries for each and every song, there are entries for pretty much everyone he's worked with Jonny Bridgwood, Spencer Cobrin, Alain Whyte etc etc.
There are entries for peopkle e.g. Pete Burns, Peter Hogg, Jake Walters and stuff about influences, that is to say songs that he has said time and again that he likes. Think of something and it's probably in the book. I tested it by trying to find an entry relating to Imperfect List which was used in the interval tapes before shows in 2004. It wasn't under 'I' for Imperfect List but it was (I think- haven't got it with me) under the entry for Jake Walters which is pretty insulting since Jake Walters had next to nothing to do with it, but to be fair Goddard makes the point that it is probably through Walters that Morrissey knows about it. Pete Wylie does get credit at least.

One of the things that I think is missing is an entry for the Smoking Popes. OK, they may be contemporaries but I think their sound has had a massive influence on how his music sounds now. For years and years Morrissey has said 'Born to Quit' was terrific. He wasn't wrong and I think it's been a big influence and therefore deserves an entry every bit as much as the Cookies and Herman's Hermits.

I was most interested to see what he wrote about Alain Whyte. Goddard sticks to the facts which wins my admiration.

It doesn't go in much for tourdates and set lists. That's been done to death elsewhere and wouldn't make an interesting book to read.

A very enjoyable and comprehensive book, will push your knowledge of all things Morrissey to new heights...if you're not there already.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
Good, acurate review:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Mine was due to arrive today, it hasn't.

Amazon giving me the run-a-round again. Swine.

mreidBBC2907_468x346.jpg

I'm loving this book, full of little tit-bits that you didn't know or forgot you had. Very easy to get lost in it, you look at one thing and end up spiralling through dozens of entries.

While sticking mostly to the 'fact' of the matter for certain songs it does drift into critique which can be quite annoying (especially if you don't agree).

Overall I'd suggest BUY, BUY, BUY.

i have had mine on order for ages but havent got it yet .....:mad:

Same here, amazon claim they have been in the process of dispatching it for the past few days, what the hell are they doing.

I keep seeing it is out on the 23rd, yet I saw it in the shops last saturday. Strange

I ordered just now from amazon. Never had any problems with them before. So I'll see how soon the book arrives in Belgium then.

HOW could I have loved The Smiths since 1984 and not had an inkling that the name may have come from references to David Smith and Maureen Smith? David Smith being the person who witnessed the murder of Edward Evans and who alerted the police to Brady & Hindley.

Mine just arrived by second post an hour or so again. One hell of a f***ing read! I started out reading it from the beginning, but that just isn't going to happen. I'll be flicking through it for the next few months, I imagine.

From the little I have seen so far, highly recommended.

Found the listing about this site interesting.......

HOW could I have loved The Smiths since 1984 and not had an inkling that the name may have come from references to David Smith and Maureen Smith? David Smith being the person who witnessed the murder of Edward Evans and who alerted the police to Brady & Hindley.

That or Morrissey was eating a bag of crisps.

Mine was dispatched today, it'll take a week to arrive though. Maybe I should've paid a little bit extra and gotten it from the bookstore instead later this week. :straightface:

Tags
mozipedia unclescanner
Back
Top Bottom