Mozarmy Meet (April 2023) - guests announced with dates (January 29, 2023)

FRIDAY 28 APRIL 2023
Stephen Street
Andrew Paresi
The Salford Lads NYC ft Jose Maldonado
The Roberts Family Band
DJ Billy ldle

SATURDAY 29 APRIL 2023
Jonny Bridgwood
John Robb
The Salford Lads NYC ft Jose Maldonado
The Roberts Family Band
DJs Loud and Clear

SUNDAY 30 APRIL 2023
The Mozarmy picnic.
In Moz/Smiths t-shirts.

Interesting guest list.
Regards,
FWD.

full

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
A groovy venture! What's not to like? Joyful celebrations ahead!

There's more detailed info here on participants etc - https://www.wegottickets.com/f/13019

And a good description of the pub and surroundings here - https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUser...er-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

Did this pub once hold a collection of Smiths paraphernalia, or does it now? A little Smiths museum in Manchester wouldn't go astray :
There is a Smiths room in Salford Lads Club. Lots of stuff in there and well worh a visit.

Historic pub says Morrissey fans are keeping it open

From the Manchester Evening News today:

The landlord of a historic Manchester pub and music venue has said that without the "dedication" of Morrissey fans it would have to close due to an "unexpected" tax bill from grants he received during the pandemic.

Andy Martin, the landlord of The Star and Garter on Fairfield Street, is currently repaying a tax bill of £26,000 for grants totalling £90,000, which the pub received from Arts Council England (ACE) between between 2020 and 2021. He is also grappling with "huge" monthly overheads due to rising energy costs.

He described the pub as facing a "knife-edge fight" to survive, but that events such as Mozarmy - an annual meeting of Morrissey and Smiths fans - is helping keep the pub afloat. The pub and music venue also regularly hosts Smiths and Morrissey Disco Nights and open up the space for TV filming for shows such as Brassic to cover its costs.

Full story: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/historic-manchester-pub-says-morrisey-26165545
More on Mozarmy Meet 2023: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/morrissey-fans-over-world-descend-26107964

Saford Lads Club is open to vistors on Saturday 11am to 2pm.
The Smiths room is worth a visit.

I have been before but I want to see the mosaic from Afflecks which is now there.

Good shop with loads of Smiths/Morrissey merch.

Saford Lads Club is open to vistors on Saturday 11am to 2pm.
The Smiths room is worth a visit.

I have been before but I want to see the mosaic from Afflecks which is now there.

Have you been to any exhibition in the music colleges?

From Confidentials Manchester is a feature about the city's hidden musical treasures stored in the Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) on Oxford Street
https://confidentials.com/mancheste...-much-more-than-factory-records-and-morrissey

The direct Smiths connections include Johnny Marr's Gretsch Super Axe guitar held there, and possibly, letters and lyrics. Some of those attending the Mozarmy event might know more. Maybe a collaboration could develop. Here's more of the text, also since put in the Strange, Unexpected Moz References thread:

"The archive was established around 20 years ago as an actual collection of service, but prior to that there were two music colleges in Manchester, The Royal Manchester College of Music founded in 1893 by Sir Charles Hallé, and The Northern School of Music founded in 1920 by Hilda Collins. These two schools came together in 1972 to form the RNCM and the archive came as a transferred asset.

Heather [Roberts, College Archivist] explained that “the collection was kept in the library as a special collection, but there was no functioning archive service...

...The RNCM archives are fascinating, and everything is all kept in one place, so it feels like it’s own curated exhibition. Heather adds that the archive is especially important as “it has all of these incredible stories to tell, and to have this kind of acknowledgement and appreciation for heritage and history from a non-heritage organisation is a dream as an archivist. It’s very cool”

With everything from handwritten letters to musical scores, bizarre instruments, and a fragment of Beethoven’s shroud, my tour around the library was a bit of a ‘pinch me’ moment...

...Ultimately, Manchester should have a music museum, and not just one adorned with black and yellow stripes and a massive mural of Ian Brown. One that tells the story of the city's musical narrative from start to finish...

...As Heather said “this ethos is such a Mancunian thing, and it carries all the way through to our politics and culture and the spirit of innovation that we’re famous for. It’s the same ethos that people like The Smiths and Oasis had, the same motivations were behind the rave movement for example, and Hallé toured like they did, brought music to the forefront of our identity, and enabled musical education to thrive in Manchester...'”

IDYLLIC VIBES WITH JONNY BRIDGWOOD ON MGR SUNDAY 260323

Then this evening I had the pleasure of the company of Bassist Jonny Bridgwood. We chatted about our upcoming gigs at the ‘Mozarmy Meet 23’ next month, aswell as chatting about Jonnys musical history, the bands he's performed with and his influences - the rest of tonights music features his eclectic, diverse and wonderful (Double) Basslines…
With tracks from - Fireball XL5, The Sting-Rays, Nut, Morrissey, Sneaker Pinps, Kathryn Williams, The Leisure Society, The Memory Band, David Thomas Broughton, Jason Steel, Sam Lee, Alex Highton, Marianne Faithfull and Mr Woodster feat. Lee Perry.

Creative Distortion is a classic indie show presented by Alasdair McDougall on Glasgow community radio station Sunny G Radio. It goes out every Saturday night between 6-8pm with 2 hours of great indie tunes.

This week I'm talking to Julie Hamill about all things Morrissey and MozArmy and playing tunes from:

Marion The Smiths The Darling Buds Shed Seven Morrissey Dodgy Idlewild Suede The Smile Inspiral Carpets Jeffrey Lewis Ecko McAlmont & Butler The Dentists The Coral Razorlight The Verve Crocodiles The Bug Club Camera Obscura Cud

Last edited by a moderator:
As a beginner music student, I haven't attended any exhibitions in music colleges. However, I came across an interesting feature on Confidentials Manchester about the Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) on Oxford Street. Exploring the archive and attending the Mozarmy event to learn more and collaborate with fellow music enthusiasts would be fascinating. As I know, the RNCM's library was established about 20 years ago, combining the Royal Manchester College of Music and the Northern School of Music. Heather Roberts, the College Archivist, mentioned that the collection was previously kept in the library without a functioning archive service. In my synthesis assignment, I'll make sure to include information about Ian 'Strawboss' Garner, a respected and beloved doorman in Manchester. I usually check this site to get help from professionals. Understanding and writing synthesis essays is complicated for me. However, I try succeeding and develop these skills. So I really hope my dream will become reality as soon as possible.

Cheers
Hellen

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom