Moz writes after watching movies

M

Merrilea Shields

He watched/read "A taste of honey" and wrote many songs from the perspective of different people in that film/play... i would be willing to bet that he still does that. He watches a movie and then writes a song from someone's perspective in that movie.. mute witness is just one example... can anyone figure out the movie though?

> He watched/read "A taste of honey" and wrote many songs from the
> perspective of different people in that film/play... i would be willing to
> bet that he still does that. He watches a movie and then writes a song
> from someone's perspective in that movie.. mute witness is just one
> example... can anyone figure out the movie though?

There was a discussion about this a while back - the consensus at the time was that the song is written from the perspective of a mute girl who just seen a U.F.O (!!!) "....pointing to the frisbee..." - whether it's from a film or not, I don't know - the fact that he places it on Clapham Common may rule a film out, but, if anyone knows of any U.F.O films set on Clapham Common.....

Sk.

All I know is, I'd love to see the song he writes after watching Secretary...

I think films have a much bigger influence over Morrissey than most people think - it's often the film version of plays and books that leave the most lasting impression. Morrissey was obsessed with "A taste of honey" - it completely dominates the landscape of the early Smiths stuff - even the name 'The Smiths' is partially derived from it. Brighton Rock is the other obvious film that Morrissy references and creates the tone of Vauxhall&I. Film stills appear on many of the Smiths album covers; snatches of film dialogue pop up all over the place "take me back to dear old blightly", "everybody's clever nowadays" etc. Morrissey is certainly not simply the literary figure that most fans imagine.

> He watched/read "A taste of honey" and wrote many songs from the
> perspective of different people in that film/play... i would be willing to
> bet that he still does that. He watches a movie and then writes a song
> from someone's perspective in that movie.. mute witness is just one
> example... can anyone figure out the movie though?

Mute Witness (the film) was made years after the Morrissey song was written, so we can dispell your theory for that one!

There is a long tradition, in various forms of art to pay homage previous work (and I don't mean sampling) by others. We all have our cultural reference points, as well as social ones. It goes part of the way to make us who we are.

But if you must write ....

> Mute Witness (the film) was made years after the Morrissey song was
> written, so we can dispell your theory for that one!

> There is a long tradition, in various forms of art to pay homage previous
> work (and I don't mean sampling) by others. We all have our cultural
> reference points, as well as social ones. It goes part of the way to make
> us who we are.

> But if you must write ....

HELLOO>>> i didn't say that it was neccessaily about the movie by the same name, (he stole alot of line from "A taste of honey" but never actually named a song "a taste of honey"). I am sure that there is a movie from the 60's about a mute witness.

> All I know is, I'd love to see the song he writes after watching
> Secretary...
God, I LOVE that film...imagine being spanked silly by James Spader mmmm

Back
Top Bottom