Moz/Smiths-related books you recommend

Ikyan

Already have Fletcher's book as well as St. Morrissey and Mozipedia.

I am planning to get copies of Rogan's Morrissey: The Albums and Complete Guide to the Music of Morrissey and the Smiths and Middles' The Complete Story from Amazon.

What do you think guys? Are they going to tell me something which I don't know yet about the Man and His band?

What other books would you recommend to me?

Appreciate your insights and opinions..:thumb:

Thanks.

Re: Moz/Smiths-related books you recommend...

Songs That Saved Your Life by Goddard is essential.

Avoid ANYTHING written by David Bret.

Yup, I heard Goddard's Songs... is also a must. Thanks!

I wonder if Rogan's Morrissey Albums is basically the same with Goddard's.

I would get Morrissey's Albums and cancel on The Complete Guide...the former is an updated, padded out version of the latter. Neither is a patch on Goddard's Songs..., but Albums does cover all the solo years up to ROTT. That said, there is nothing I can recall reading in Morrissey's Albums that wasn't handled better by Goddard in the Mozipedia.

Seconding Skylarker: Bret should be avoided at all costs.

I agree with the recommendations made so far. I would also recommend Meetings with Morrissey by Len Brown.

How Soon Is Never, a novel by Mark Spitz about an alcoholic journalist who tries to reunite The Smiths, is -despite its concept- dreadful. Don't read it unless you like throwing up a lot.

I agree with skylarker & girlmostlikely - songs that saved your life and meetings with morrissey are excellent. I've tweeted Len Brown the author of meetings and he was very nice, answering questions about Moz.
Another book I recommend is 'The Paegent Of His Bleeding Heart' by Gavin Hopps. Which is a really detailed book covering all the songs and Morrissey's on and off stage self.

Meetings is my absolute favourite though. So genuine and it seems as though Morrissey really trusts Len Brown and speaks to him openly like a friend.

I bought The Smiths collectors Q special magazine November 2011 basically it has most of the interviews Moz did with NME ,Melody

maker and Sounds at the time. Cost me a £5 I am sure someone would have a copy on e bay or the like :)

Songs That Saved Your Life and Mozipedia are the must haves that I've read. I can't remember the book I read by David Bret but it was an abomination.

I would also recommend Meetings with Morrissey by Len Brown.

This is the only Morrissey book I've read. I really enjoyed it at the time and always recommend it to people who want to learn more about Morrissey.

I agree with skylarker & girlmostlikely - songs that saved your life and meetings with morrissey are excellent. I've tweeted Len Brown the author of meetings and he was very nice, answering questions about Moz.
Another book I recommend is 'The Paegent Of His Bleeding Heart' by Gavin Hopps. Which is a really detailed book covering all the songs and Morrissey's on and off stage self.

Meetings is my absolute favourite though. So genuine and it seems as though Morrissey really trusts Len Brown and speaks to him openly like a friend.

What did you ask?

I would get Morrissey's Albums and cancel on The Complete Guide...the former is an updated, padded out version of the latter. Neither is a patch on Goddard's Songs..., but Albums does cover all the solo years up to ROTT. That said, there is nothing I can recall reading in Morrissey's Albums that wasn't handled better by Goddard in the Mozipedia.

Seconding Skylarker: Bret should be avoided at all costs.

Thanks. Will skip the Complete Guide then but will probably get the Albums..

I've heard about the Bret book though i can't find it in Amazon.

Thanks guys for the input.

Already got the following books:
Meat is Murder
Morrissey: The Album
Songs that Saved your Life
The Pageant of...
Morrissey by Pat Reid
All Men have Secrets...

Haven't read them at all. Just having some work to finish lately.

I recommend A Taste of Honey.

Tags
books literature middles rogan
Back
Top Bottom