Moz / Smiths on Stylophone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2009 (read-only)' started by Voodoo Doll, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Voodoo Doll

Voodoo Doll New Member

I got a stylophone off secret Santa and have got a bit bored playing silent night which was the only song that came with it... Has anyone got any Moz/Smiths stuff to play on the stylophone? I googled it but all I found was some idiot who said 'to say Morrissey can sing is like saying a stylophone is a grand piano':mad:

2. mcrickson

mcrickson Reckless Endangerment

Until I read this thread, I must confess I had no idea what a stylophone was. But now, looking into it, I'm thoroughly interested and considering purchasing one. :)

Sorry this doesn't help :o

3. Voodoo Doll

Voodoo Doll New Member

So you werent an 80s kid then? :) I remember being very good at sussing out tunes on my childhood stylophone but I seem to have lost the knack... Let me know if you get one and we can compare notes :)
    And you can even use it as MP3 speakers these days!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. mcrickson

:o
    Nope, I wasn't. Born in '90.
    I'm looking about ebay and amazon -- the only thing is I tend to stray away from things with batteries as I go through them quite quickly. I suppose it'd be foolish to assume there's a stylophone somewhere that has an adapter? :D Sorta defeats the purpose of a pocket synthesizer, I suppose. We'll see :guitar: I'm still considering. Would you say it's worth it?

5. Voodoo Doll

Voodoo Doll New Member

Well, they look amazing and it gave me hours of fun as a kid which I am trying hard to replicate but all the tunes are shit... No interest in playing greensleeves really. I just thought maybe it could be fun for stuff like charming man but obviously HSIN isn't going to happen. I found a forum with some more, erm, modern music on but not found anything I particularly like yet.... I think it's worth the £15 just to look at - best looking speakers if not sound!
    [​IMG]

6. Maurice E

Maurice E Junior Member

I bought one for my niece this Christmas. pretty much turned out to be the most popular present of the family Christmas - hours of entertainment! managed to work out the intro to Last Night I Dreamt - splendid stuff!

7. Voodoo Doll

Voodoo Doll New Member

Oh well done! I guess I'm just going to have to do some donkey work of my own. Post the numbers up if you figure out any more!

8. Jukebox Jury

Jukebox Jury Retired

Voodoo
    80's kid?:eek:
    These were definatley an early 70's thing!:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

9. Voodoo Doll

Voodoo Doll New Member

Really? I cant remember properly. We never had any money though so I probably got one second hand a few years after they had gone out of fashion :rolleyes: It was the same year I got a hand held Space Invader game I'm sure...

10. Jukebox Jury

Jukebox Jury Retired

Voodoo
    80's child?:eek:
    These were definatley an early 70's thing!:guitar:
    EDIT
    In fact....according to this - it was a late 60's thing:eek:
    http://www.retrothing.com/2009/05/rolf-harris-rocks-the-stylophone.html

DOUBLE EDIT dont know why this posted twice!!!!

Jukebox Jury

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  11. Voodoo Doll

Voodoo Doll New Member

Oi! I wasn't even born then :eek: It says right through the 70s so they would still have been around early 80s surely. I mean, you can still buy mega drives now can't you ;)

12. Jukebox Jury

Jukebox Jury Retired

I remember Rolf advertising them in the early 70's but they pretty much died out a few years later, by the mid 70's, to be replaced by chopper bikes, perms, space hoppers and white suits:rolleyes:

Jukebox Jury

13. Voodoo Doll

Voodoo Doll New Member

Guilty of all of the above except for the white suit :confused: - dont remember those... So have you got any tunes then? :guitar:

14. Jukebox Jury

Jukebox Jury Retired

Come on, you telling me Mr Voodoo Doll wasn't jiving in his white suit to Saturday Night Fever:thumb:
    No....sorry I don't have any tunes for you!:(

Jukebox Jury

15. mcrickson

I think I've resolved on getting one. But it'll probably be a few days before I order it because I'm going back to school next week and I want to make sure it is delivered at a time when the university resumes mail service :)

:guitar:
    ^
    Mods, we need a stylophonist smiley :lbf:

16. Brel

Brel Guttersnipe

I remember them from the 70's. Amazing Grace was the first thing that you learned to play. That was the law!