Moz sighting in Altrincham

I saw ITV consumer programme when Kwik Save was still around.
You should always check the expiry date of their products.

A poor elderly guy who lived in remote area of Scotland was banned from a Kwik Save branch because he complained that the store was selling some food which had been well over expiry date.
He had to ask his friend to buy some food from there.

I remember through rose-tinted specs that Kwik Save had their own value range with the illustrious title of 'No Frills'

jtnhp1.jpg

Lovely stuff!

PLEASE get a new album out soon....PLEASE.

Do you see what we've come to? Fighting over supermarkets. Oh well. Suppose it's better than fighting in supermarkets.
Or is it?.....

PLEASE get a new album out soon....PLEASE.

Do you see what we've come to? Fighting over supermarkets. Oh well. Suppose it's better than fighting in supermarkets.
Or is it?.....

I wonder if Moz has ever squabbled with someone in a supermarket!?

I'd love him to say, "You've got 18 f***ing items in the 10 items or less isle, get out you c***!"

Last edited:
I wonder if Moz has ever sqabbled with someone in a supermarket!?

I'd love him to say, "You've got 18 f***ing items in the 10 items or less isle, get out you c**t!"

Hahaha, he would rather mention it in his lyrics.

I don't think he'd confront some rude people in a check out queue.

I was trying to find that Moz quote about doing what you want, which involved a reference to wheeling around in a supermarket cart, and found that we've been down this road before...
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=59209

Thanks to Comtesse, I found it:
"... nothing is important so people, realising that, should get on with their lives, go mad, take their clothes off, jump in the canal, jump into one of those supermarket trolleys, race 'round the supermarket and steal Mars bars and, y'know, kiss kittens and sit on the back of bread vans. Whatever makes people happy they should just do it, 'cos time is a mere scratch and life is nothing..." NME, 1985

(These days would he recommend stealing Mars bars to hurt the company, or not stealing them because you shouldn't eat something made by a company that engages in animal testing?)

Last edited:
I was trying to find that Moz quote about doing what you want, which involved a reference to wheeling around in a supermarket cart, and found that we've been down this road before...
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=59209

Thanks to Comtesse, I found it:
"... nothing is important so people, realising that, should get on with their lives, go mad, take their clothes off, jump in the canal, jump into one of those supermarket trolleys, race 'round the supermarket and steal Mars bars and, y'know, kiss kittens and sit on the back of bread vans. Whatever makes people happy they should just do it, 'cos time is a mere scratch and life is nothing..." NME, 1985

(These days would he recommend stealing Mars bars to hurt the company, or not stealing them because you shouldn't eat something made by a company that engages in animal testing?)

That has more wisdom and sense than the bible that quote, i'm going to get it on a shirt and follow it every day.

I remember through rose-tinted specs that Kwik Save had their own value range with the illustrious title of 'No Frills'

jtnhp1.jpg

Lovely stuff!

No frills cans of beans and no frills cans of tomatoes too about 7p a can. In my local Kwik Save (RIP - building is still there though) they limited to you 4 cans of each. Kwik Save should make a come back they'll make a killing with the government cuts.

I was in a shop earlier and it dawned on me I hadn't mentioned them on my list. THe SPAR of course. BUt as they are normally franchises I'm not sure whether they really count. And I missed off Netto too. And Costcutter. And Happy Shopper. This could go on forever....

TO get back to the original comment I wonder if Morrissey noticed how much the price of food has gone up in the UK when he was in the shop (esp M&S) ALthough they do that dine in for a tenner offer which is quite useful when you dine alone (like I often do and I'm sure he must as well)

TO get back to the original comment I wonder if Morrissey noticed how much the price of food has gone up in the UK when he was in the shop (esp M&S) ALthough they do that dine in for a tenner offer which is quite useful when you dine alone (like I often do and I'm sure he must as well)

Hmm are those dine in for £10 offers meant for two people? If so its no wonder I've got an eating disorder

This thread is making me think you're all spoiled for choice. I can count four different supermarket chains here - and not sure about their 'poshness' order.
Coles/Woolworths
Foodland
IGA

A good way to tell how fancy a grocery store is is to use the restroom. If it has lockers in it and smells like rotten produce, bottom of the list. If it has granite counters and mood lighting, it's posh.

Hey, I hit 12 grand today and nobody noticed. :tears:

Do you guys know where the word "posh" comes from? Without googling it.

A good way to tell how fancy a grocery store is is to use the restroom. If it has lockers in it and smells like rotten produce, bottom of the list. If it has granite counters and mood lighting, it's posh.

Restroom, I've never seen a restroom in a grocery store...that's how posh they are here.
Where does the word posh come from?

Restroom, I've never seen a restroom in a grocery store...that's how posh they are here.
Where does the word posh come from?

It's an acronym. Port Out Starboard Home. When people used to ship places it was desirable to have a room that had a view of the coast as opposed to just the sea. So the more expensive rooms were on the port side of the ship on the way there, and the starboard side on the way home.

I just googled it and they say this isn't the true etymology, but they can suck it. :p

Etymology: Unknown; popularly (but falsely) believed to be an acronym for "port out, starboard home", describing the cabins given to upper-class passengers travelling with the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company from Britain to India and back. The company denies this practice, despite christening its loyalty scheme the "P.O.S.H. Club" after the myth (the club has since been renamed "Portunus").A more likely origin is the Romany word posh meaning "half-", as in posh-kooroona meaning "half a crown" - a once-substantial sum of money, and hence by association anything pricey or upper-class. Alternatively posh may have first become a general term for money, after posh-houri, half-penny.

Last edited:
I was in a shop earlier and it dawned on me I hadn't mentioned them on my list. THe SPAR of course. BUt as they are normally franchises I'm not sure whether they really count. And I missed off Netto too. And Costcutter. And Happy Shopper. This could go on forever....

...in which case I'm doomed.
:o

The word comes from the initials P O S H standing for Port Out Starboard Home, the original very expensive cabins on Cunard liners when cruising, hence the term was POSH,

And while we're on subject a bit of Brit comedy!

[youtube]
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9OnOisoA66s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9OnOisoA66s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nY6G2E8dgWU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nY6G2E8dgWU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

more supermarket quotes:
Melody Maker, September 26, 1987
"If anything, writing has become MORE important for me than ever. As a writer and lyricist I think I improve hourly - a lot of people say the first surge of Smiths' records were the best but I really, really disagree. I make sure I write something every day and my flat is strewn with the debris of lyrics, finished and unfinished. I get ideas from almost everywhere but especially supermarket queues - I have a talent for eavesdropping and it's amazing what you learn while waiting to pay for your fruit juice."

Last edited:
I wonder if Moz has ever squabbled with someone in a supermarket!?

I'd love him to say, "You've got 18 f***ing items in the 10 items or less isle, get out you c**t!"

Hahaha, he would rather mention it in his lyrics.

I don't think he'd confront some rude people in a check out queue.

more supermarket quotes:

Melody Maker, September 26, 1987:

"If anything, writing has become MORE important for me than ever. As a writer and lyricist I think I improve hourly - a lot of people say the first surge of Smiths' records were the best but I really, really disagree. I make sure I write something every day and my flat is strewn with the debris of lyrics, finished and unfinished. I get ideas from almost everywhere but especially supermarket queues - I have a talent for eavesdropping and it's amazing what you learn while waiting to pay for your fruit juice."

Thank you very much sistasheila, as I predicted Morrissey used to get some lyrics ideas when he was queuing. :D

I have a talent for eavesdropping and it's amazing what you learn while waiting to pay for your fruit juice.

I'm now going to hang around M&S in Atrincham, and if I ever see him I'll stand behind him in the queue, mumbling some of my own poerty.

The word comes from the initials P O S H standing for Port Out Starboard Home, the original very expensive cabins on Cunard liners when cruising, hence the term was POSH,

And while we're on subject a bit of Brit comedy!

[youtube]
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9OnOisoA66s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9OnOisoA66s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nY6G2E8dgWU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nY6G2E8dgWU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

:lbf: I was watching this just yesterday.

:lbf: I was watching this just yesterday.

I posted the Shooting Stars Coldland one with it too, but it's not showing up...

[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/khGQSqocvGU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/khGQSqocvGU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Back
Top Bottom