Moz should do a covers record

wemissumoz

Don't call me Junior
The new Nada Surf covers record made me think about the idea of Morrissey doing one at this stage. As Matthew from NS said, they were ready to make an album, but not ready to actually write songs.

A covers album now would give Moz a chance to spread his wings musically and get some "new" material out to the market sooner. Since he is without a record label, it would be the perfect time to self-market something that is non-essential, and if it flops, well it was "just a covers album" anyway.

The only downside that I see is that I generally have not enjoyed the music that Morrissey champions. His taste is not my taste, but an album sung by him would likely be good, even if the material was not something I would normally enjoy.

Last edited:
I remeber reading someone's post sometime ago, Boz or Morrissey said that they actually attempted making a cover version album, but it didn't work out.

moz did say that in an recent interview , yes.

The new Nada Surf covers record made me think about the idea of Morrissey doing one at this stage. As Matthew from NS said, they were ready to make an album, but not ready to actually write songs.

A covers album now would give Moz a chance to spread his wings musically and get some "new" material out to the market sooner. Since he is without record label, it would be the perfect time to self-market something that is non-essential, and if it flops, we'll it was "just a covers album" anyway.

The only downside that I see is that I generally have not enjoyed the music that Morrissey champions. His taste is not my taste, but an album sung by him would likely be good, even if the material was not something I would normally enjoy.

That would be amazing. I was telling Scarlet Ibis yesterday that I love the YouTube of him singing The New York Dolls' Human Being because it reveals what he may have been like vocally had he gone in a harder, punker direction. And with so many popular vocalists his age doing these lame covers-of-standards albums it would be a fun to see someone do a little less predictable except for the inclusion of 'My Way' or the like.

I hope he sees this. I'm all excited now. :D

Oh, not "My Way", please no.

There is a fantastic Cole Porter song called, "I Concentrate on You" that would sound lovely in Morrissey's voice.

I think there was a thread a while back listing songs we'd like to hear Morrissey cover. But then again, I'm not sure an all-covers album is a great idea. Peter Gabriel just did one and it's dire.

Oh, not "My Way", please no.

There is a fantastic Cole Porter song called, "I Concentrate on You" that would sound lovely in Morrissey's voice.

I think there was a thread a while back listing songs we'd like to hear Morrissey cover. But then again, I'm not sure an all-covers album is a great idea. Peter Gabriel just did one and it's dire.
this?
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=89686&highlight=johnny+guitar
as i said there already love to hear him sing "johnny guitar" sung famously by pegy lee

Last edited:
Moz choice of covers so far have been fantastic,

Song From under the Floorboards
Human Being
Street Life (attemtempted twice i think)
You say you dont love me
Subway train(intro)
Trash
Moon over kentucky
cosmic dancer
Skin storm
My insatiable one
Redondo beach
Nothing ryhmed
East west
drive in saturday

Whats the world
work is a four letter word
Maries the name of his latest flame(intro)
Golden lights.....okay we shal forget that one

cant think of any more

Last edited:
I have always thought that this would be a great idea.

I thought the cover of Street Life was disastrous and Moon over Kentuck just dull. Still, his covers are almost always fantastic.

He did do "Nothing Rhymed" by Gilbert O'Sullivan though too. I'd like to hear him cover "Alone Again (Naturally)". Pete Wylie does a fantastic version of "Alone Again" BTW.

he should do two covers records, one of harder punkier stuff and one of crooning.

I think Morrissey should do a cover of Nas's - Sitting in da Park (Memory Lane)

Not sure, sounds like something a washed up, no longer relevant singer would come up with, Rod Stewart perhaps.

Then again, if Morrissey kicked it off with Brigitte Bardot's Bubblegum, I could be persuaded

Not sure, sounds like something a washed up, no longer relevant singer would come up with, Rod Stewart perhaps.

Perhaps. However, Rod and Peter Gabriel haven't had an album of their own songs in many years, while Moz had a new record last year. I think it's OK to mix in some old if you have still been producing new material.

Loved the listing above of covers that Moz has done. He could just rattle those off and I'd be happy. (Although some "new" covers would be even better.)

Though Morrissey's covers are interesting, when I listen I don't hear him living the songs in the same way as his own songs.

So while it would be fun to hear how he sings his favourite songs by other artists, I'm not sure I'd buy an albumful.

It would be nice to hear him sing some songs that are outside of his comfort zone. If it was just 12 songs crooned in his usual style, it wouldn't be so exciting.

I guess it depends on why you enjoy Morrissey?

I love his work because of his clever, often witty use of the English language in his lyrics and the way he sings those songs that make them seem so personal. So for me, an album full of cover versions would be pointless and too many (non-fans), would probably seem an act of desparation to retain his fame. Personally, I was disappointed when he included the Bowie track on the Swords album :(

When you have a back catologue of such great tracks, why use other peoples :crazy:

I prefer cover versions to be limited to b-sides and live performances. You can always make your own album from these disparate recordings.

When (if?) he goes back into the studio, I want him to record his own songs. I'm hoping the fact that we've heard/seen very little of him lately means he's been beavering away, scratching down lyrics in that borderline personality-disorder handwriting of his.

There are some fantastic songs by Charles Aznavour I would love to hear Morrissey sing. No not the corny tunes, but some of the lyrics of his lesser known songs are truly breathtaking!! Also I'd like to see Morrissey sing some Anthony Newley songs too!!!!

Back
Top Bottom